KameSame - a fast, feature-rich Japanese memorization webapp

Great companion to wanikani, thanks searls!

Hey Searls

Do you plan to add more kanji apart from the ones that Wanikani has in the future? Though I’m not quite at that level yet, there are a lot of joyo kanji that Wanikani doesn’t have but would be useful to know nonetheless.

I’m pretty sure the dictionary you got all your word data from has kanji information in it too, since Jisho uses the same one and they have that data, but if that’s not the case, KANJIDIC should have everything you’re looking for.

EDIT: If we could have each as two items (one for on’yomi and another for kun’yomi), that would be even better

Yes! I’m planning on adding KANJIDIC next year. I had to write a custom rubygem to efficiently import JEDICT and the plan is to enhance it to also pull in KANJIDIC.

2 Likes

Hello, I am trying to do my reviews in KameSame.
Yesterday I saw there were 46 reviews to be done.
Today, however, I don’t see 46 anymore, but just “next review in: NOW”
And I cannot click on NOW.
Am I doing something wrong?
Thank you!

That seems wrong! I’ll look into it

Seems ok now. I can see 47 reviews to be done!

Is there also a way to get unlimited undos

So I’m just done with level 10 on WK, and I’d like to take a break from WK for a bit and do vocab lessons on KS for all the vocabs that WK does not teach, especially the kana-only vocabs. However, when I just learn from, say, the N5 vocab list, it looks like the recognition lessons will use kanji that I don’t know. I can answer a vocab like “to play” with あそぶ, but on recognition it will ask me to recognize 遊ぶ which includes a kanji I don’t yet know.

What I would like is a config option like “skip vocab lessons that use kanji I have not yet learned in WK”.

@searls Is that a feature you’d be willing to include? And if so: Do you take commissions for feature requests? I kind of need this feature right now because it fits in my learning priorities, so I’d be willing to pay you to work on this with priority. If this sounds interesting to you, please let me know and we can continue the discussion via e-mail. If you don’t do commissions/bounties at all, that’s also okay, but I would like to use the opportunity if it exists.

HI @searls. Thank you so much for taking the time to make this great resource for learners, and for making it free also. That must be a great sacrifice and I appreciate it.

I am sorry if this information is accessible elsewhere but I have not been able to find it. What are the review intervals for KameSame please? I have just started using it (Level 5) and I initially thought they were the same as WaniKani but I have been getting reviews at times I didn’t expect and I have more reviews per day that I thought I would at such an early stage. Could you please shed some light on this?

Thank you very much

Hi @xyrill thanks for sharing.

This is on my list but I’m not likely to have a bunch of time for KameSame dev in the short term.

Other than cleaning up minor QoL issues that cropped up from the latest updates to Safari in iOS 14 & Big Sur, these are things I’m thinking of implementing soon:

• Linking Patreon (to unlock certain features)
  • Autoplay audio (requiring patreon)
  • This filter on the lists, since a few folks have asked for it
1 Like

Hi @searls. I think you might have replied to the wrong comment. Unless I’ve misunderstood. Thanks once again

Whoops! Sure did. The timers are currently similar but not exactly the same as WaniKani. The timings are:

SRS_STAGE_TIMING = {
    0 => 0.minutes,
    1 => 4.hours,
    2 => 8.hours,
    3 => 1.day,
    4 => 2.days,
    5 => 1.week,
    6 => 2.weeks,
    7 => 1.month,
    8 => 4.months,
    9 => 1000.years
  }

Edit: also keep in mind that by default KameSame creates two cards for every item, a production and a recognition card, so studying the same number of kanji & vocab as WK will result in double the learnings, double the reviews, even though it’s the same number of challenges (since WK doubles them up)

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the insight @searls. I appreciate it

Hi! I just started using KameSame and I am just as addicted to it as I am with WaniKani. Such and incredible web app. I will be subscribing to the patreon!!

Quick question. Do I need to update the API Key from WaniKani every time I get new items into the Master category? I have KameSame set to Master level and up and I just moved five more items to Master on Wanikani but they haven’t updated into KameSame yet.

Thank you! Hope this question makes sense. Great work!

Kamesame’s data is only synced every 24h to reduce the load on WK severs. You can force sync under “Danger Zone” in your account settings.

1 Like

Thanks Olliee!! Much appreciated!

1 Like

So… Yeah…

You can add an alternate english definition of 6 to the item if you want.

@searls

Hey, wasn’t sure if you’re aware or not, but the KameSame app keeps coming up with the “application error” screen.

Yeah apologies looks like there was some brief downtime on Heroku (our host) about 5 hours ago. Looks good now