KameSame - a fast, feature-rich Japanese memorization webapp

I like how this webapp is useful for reinforcing the Kanji learning process. I’m still in the very beginning of my journey (Lvl 3), but I already have plans for going the 10k words path after finishing WaniKani words.

Besides, I find it great that it’s updated very frequently. Please keep the awesome work!

Edit: Just thought of another kind of review that would be amazing to train the Listening ability, but not sure it would be possible in KameSame: an Audio review. I know this is already available through a userscript in the Wanikani website, but we don’t get a memorizing level (apprentice, guru, etc) for such userscript quiz.

4 Likes

Thank you! And trust me, this is very top of mind for me. I’m very very interested in expanding the app’s newfound ability to handle multiple lesson types. I ultimately want KameSame to support reviews for all 4 skills: reading, writing, speaking, and listening. We do 2 of 4 now, we could (feasibly) add listening, and speaking would require some pretty significant engineering.

6 Likes

Including speaking would be really amazing. There are probably voice(jap)-recognizing softwares somewhere, but not sure if you can find those for free (since I don’t know how you could be profiting without ads or cost) or if they’d have quality enough to be used.
Nevertheless, if you manage to add the listening part, it would be amazing.

Currently, if I wanted (and I do) to review all words/kanji by audio, I’d have to use the userscript I mentioned before, and then how would I decide when to repeat the audio quiz, for each item, for example?

I’m not sure if you can use de Wanikani or Google audio files for such a project (for copyright reasons), but there are certainly free samples for each of those words in the internet. It sounds feasable :slight_smile:

You may be interested in LipSurf, with which you can do WK reviews by speaking (this feature is paid, though).

2 Likes

I’ll look into it.

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

Edit: I looked into it and unfortunately it just changes the typing command for the speaking command, though I still wanna keep typing more than speaking in front of the computer. The price asked for is absolutely fair, but the app is not what I had in mind.

@xxllua this is interesting, and if browsers other than Chrome supported the web-speech API I might try this out, but honestly if I’m going to add speech recognition cards, I’m inclined to put in the work to figure out something that would accurately judge/grade the user’s pitch, not just remember the sounds. AFAIK there’s nothing off the shelf I can use to support this yet, though

That would be awesome. It could be a good idea to use machine learning to identify the pitch of each mora. I’m saying this because I remember there is a Japanese syllable recognition example in Matlab that uses machine learning, and from there, recognizing pitch accent may not be that hard. And I’m sure there’s plenty of open source audio on which the training could be done, like the old WK audio.

Also, おケーキ日おめでとう!

1 Like

Thanks for reporting this! I replicated it and figured out what was happening and it should be fixed now

New little feature, items now feature a link out to Japanese Google News with a query for the primary text of the item:

Since Tatoeba often lacks good example sentences, Google News really does a much better job finding example usages of lots of words

2 Likes

Ok, another pretty awesome new feature: KameSame will now provide a reference of the most common conjugations for verbs! These are available from the item page:

Additionally, the search engine has been improved to include results with the okurigana stripped off (so 探せる will pull up 探す, when in the past it wouldn’t find any items)

9 Likes

I’d like to ask for a feature showing how far in a specific learning level the person is. Using userscript in wanikani, I can distinguish between Apprentice 1, 2, 3, 4; Guru 1, 2 etc etc… However, in KameSame it seems I’m stuck in Apprentice like forever… But it may be just my impression and everything is going smoothly like Wanikani. So, if possible and easy to do, a feature like that would help with my anxiety, and other users’ as well, I suppose :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the note.

When in doubt, I’d recommend clicking through to the item page to see how many times you’ve gotten it right/wrong and you should be able to back into it. Sweating over the status of a particular card isn’t super productive, and the added detail would be too noisy IMO (I’ve played with it in the past)

yello- just created account. I am in level 18, but shows level 1 on kamesame.

Yes, because you are level 1 in KameSame. It’s a separate XP leveling system

1 Like

Nice, didn’t know I could see how many times I got it right. Works just fine. Besides, just gurued a lot of cards now :slight_smile:
Thanks

So I’ve been using KameSame for the past four days. So far, I’m very impressed and want to continue using the tool. However, the tool seems to be testing me on the same 80 or so items over and over again, despite the fact that I have around 2,300 items at Guru––today is now the third day I’ve had the exact same review items waiting for me.

The only setting I’ve changed is increasing the max. number of daily reviews from 50 to 80. My account seems properly connected to my WK progress, and I cannot figure out why it’s only testing me on the same 80-ish items. Any ideas?

How many lessons have you completed in KameSame? You’ll only get reviews for lessons you’ve completed

I have only just seen this and oh my god it’s amazing. Both from a language learning perspective but also from a software developer perspective.

Consider me both in awe of your work and incredibly grateful for it!

2 Likes

Thank you!

Awesome new feature with the conjugations!

Would be be possible to have separate review decks for the WK part and the 10k part of the cards? I’ve added some 10k now and I feel like some of them, that also exist in WK, dont always allow the same meaning…
Alternatively, is it possible to ‘undo’ my adding of the cards from 10k into my deck? I am having much more problems answering the 10k than the WK (obviously, as I haven’t studied them beforehand, my fault), and it’s kinda discouraging at my early levels now.
Basically, I’d like to have a deck which only has the reverse WK content in it on KS.