KameSame - a fast, feature-rich Japanese memorization webapp

Hey there !
Loving the website and just pledged 2 dollars to help you out :wink:
I was wondering if including kanji stroke order diagrams was planned in the future.
I force myself to write everything down before typing it out and I would love to see the stroke order,
whether I’m wrong or right.
Also, when I can’t remember how to write a specific word, I just put something random in the input box. Maybe adding an “I don’t know” button would be a good idea.

Anyway thanks for making this awesome website. :smiley:

2 Likes

I can highly recommend this userscript for WaniKani that displays stroke order diagrams for kanji: /t/userscript-stroke-order-diagram/5040

I also practice the same way as you do (write down by hand first), but only vocabulary items, and I don’t know if there is a nice way to display stroke order for vocabulary.

2 Likes

Yeah I already have that one :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks for the suggestion though.
I meant to have it directly on KameSame when you pass or fail an item :wink: .

I don’t know any scripts that do it for vocabulary items on WaniKani unfortunately.

2 Likes

Thank you!

One idea I’d strongly recommend is to use an IME or custom keyboard that lets you draw kanji on your phone/tablet and converts it to text. That’s a great check on whether it’s “close enough” to be legible, since if a computer can read it, then you can. Same goes for using dictation as your input mechanism.

As for resources on stroke order, I think the right place to do that is as an app-or-web link in the summary view after the answer as an external resource. Do any apps or sites offer this and support URLs for specific kanji?

1 Like

Check out the userscript I posted earlier. It grabs data from jisho.org

Other resources I can think of are Wiktionary and www.yamasa.cc/ocjs/kanjidic.nsf

1 Like

Right, what I’m saying is that KameSame doesn’t support (or intend to support) user scripting. Instead, I’d rather have links out to other services that provide follow-up resources in a richer, and more purpose-focused way.

In this case, there’s already a link to jisho after every review—so does that link to a place where you see its stroke order?

1 Like

I’m not sure if I understand your question since you could easily check that yourself.

No, the Jisho link only links to the word, not the kanji. When viewing a word on Jisho, you can separately click on all kanji to see their stroke order.

So you can see the stroke order, but it takes a few clicks.

1 Like

My question was if there was a consistent link structure, and it looks like the answer is yes:

https://jisho.org/search/日%20%23kanji

Where the 日 is interpolated. It would probably be better for us to just change the jisho link for kanji cards to this URL pattern.

1 Like

That’s a good idea and probably very easy to implement. So yes, please do that.

1 Like

Hi there, kinda new to Wanikani and trying my hands on Kamesame and I hit some kind of a wall other people doesn’t seem to notice… I see it asks me the kanji for water… I know what it looks like but… how do i enter it ? :blush:

2 Likes

The easiest way is to type a word that contains it and then submit only the kanji. (e.g. type みず, complete to and submit it).

If you’re on a touch device, you can also use drawing keyboard to draw it and reinforce stroke order

1 Like

So… I need to be able to type kanji and the like with my keyboard… is that what’s implied ? On wanikani I’ll type “Mizu” then the word appears… but on kamesame ?

2 Likes

Found my answer like a big boy, don’t bother, and thanks ^^

3 Likes

@searls Just wanted to say thank you for creating KameSame! It is an awesome resource that rivals WK itself in simplicity and features. Also became a patron :slight_smile: I believe everyone who can afford it and finds it useful should contribute a bit, you put so much development time into this amazing app, paying for servers is the least we users can do to help out!

Also, the new update is great. I like to use KS vocab-only and was getting annoyed by having to review the kanji from before I noticed the lesson “Include kanji” checkbox. Now they are gone because we can toggle it globally!

4 Likes

So I was continuing a very old, unfinished review session. However, KameSame did not accept a single answer and instead suggested all sorts of unrelated, completely wrong answers. I guess this is due to some internal IDs changing. I got it resolved by simply abandoning the review session and starting a new one. This is probably not a big deal—I just wanted to share some funny screenshots.

KameSame messes up

3 Likes

Yes, this is correct. If you’d refreshed the page it would have immediately invalidated that study session.

In the future (meaning, as part of last weekend’s update), any breaking changes will also broadcast a notification along the top telling you to refresh the page so you don’t lose any progress or get marked wrong invalid-ly

1 Like

Well, there is apparently no way to refresh a web app on iOS; the review session was still valid after force closing and relaunching the app.

1 Like

Yes, this is a new and frustrating bug in the latest iOS update. For now you may need to “uninstall” and then re-add to home screen for this update (and probably for zero subsequent updates for the next several months).

For PWA mode, I’m going to see if adding a window.location.reload() button would actually work.

1 Like

Is making scripts something you don’t want to see happening on KameSame ?
I kind of am already making one for the stroke order and am in the process of ironing out a few things. :stuck_out_tongue:
Sorry if that goes against your vision of KameSame.

2 Likes

I mean, by all means knock yourself out! Just know I’m not going to be able to support any issues when our changes break them, and I’d really appreciate some hefty disclaimers to that extent wherever you publish them (as often users of scripts like this don’t understand very well how they work)

2 Likes