KameSame - a fast, feature-rich Japanese memorization webapp

Ok, the site’s back up and—bonus—much snappier.

1 Like

You should give us an option to tip money on a voluntary basis.

I also have an idea how to motivate people to make regular contributions. You could add a monthly community progress bar to the start page which displays the remaining charges needed to sustain your web server. (This idea is inspired by Twitch where streamers often display subscription goals.)

2 Likes

Since I don’t want to integrate payment processing into the app for such a small and optional thing, I’ve decided to just launch a low-key Patreon.

If anyone wants to chip in a buck (or several) a month to defray the server costs, that’d be really great KameSame is creating a Japanese learning app, and needs to cover hosting costs. | Patreon

3 Likes

I’m having a weird issue where I can’t advance to the next review item by hitting enter from the text box. i.e. hitting enter does nothing while browser focus is still on the text box. To advance, you have to click outside the text box, click the advance button, or hit tab first (basically anything that shifts focus outside the text box).

Also I watched your talk about developing it. I’m a CS student, so it was very insightful!

2 Likes

is that pfp from a doujinshi? :eyes:

1 Like

Same issue here!

Also taking this opportunity to say thanks to Mr Searls for developing this.

1 Like

Could you both share what browser and OS versions you’re on?

We released an update today that affects this screen and how focus works

cc/ @snow-pine @fixio

1 Like

Windows 10 + Firefox 67.0

1 Like

Same as Fixio - W10/Firefox 67.0

@b00m23 you know it!

1 Like

@b00m23 @Fixio @snow-pine ok, try now. Should be fixed.

3 Likes

Same problem as of tonight. Linux Manjaro with Firefox 67.0. Works fine on Google Chrome though …

1 Like

Confirm the fix. Our posts crossed. Great work! :wave:

2 Likes

Thanks to the two or three folks who’ve submitted $1-2 on our new patreon page. We really love hearing from you (even when you have issues) and doing our best to keep the service running well.

I’ve got a lot of plans to make more improvements this summer (stay tuned), so please pardon the inevitable bugs that’ll shake out of it—I promise I’ll be as responsive as possible if you reply to this thread or e-mail our support address howdy@kamesame.com

2 Likes

Just started using this and I’m really liking it so far. I wanna check it out a bit more first, but if I continue using it I’ll definitely be signing up to support on Patreon. Thanks for working so hard on this!

3 Likes

Is it possible to remove Kanjis from my review queues? I used to include them in my lessons at first, but I kind of regret it now.

1 Like

You can click through to them individually and unlearn them from their item page.

An upcoming feature I plan on doing (soon!) is to allow you to (de)select what kind of lessons and reviews you want to do, as well as to be able to batch them by type (i.e. skip kanji reviews or do them all at once instead of alternating)

2 Likes

Ok, another cool update today! In two parts!

1. Improved item list formatting

Previously:

Previously, list items were kind of a mess, with kanji on one side and kana on the other. It made it hard for me to glance at an item and not immediately anchor myself with the english (which is why the Japanese and English are on opposite ends of each row).

Now, the formatting should be more balanced/cleaner, also dealing with longer words better:

2. An option to reduce English in the app

Additionally, sometimes the English doesn’t really add much and it’s better practice to just try to read the Japanese. So I’ve also added a new option on the account page:

32%20PM

And when set, English will be hidden when it isn’t needed (i.e. if you’re searching for a translation it’s kind of important regardless of setting):

Enjoy the new stuff!

3 Likes

Hi, all. I’m new here but I’ve recently started contributing to KameSame. I want to share the first feature I helped build.

Skip results page for correct answers
There’s now an option on the account page to go directly to the next item when you get a correct answer.

When that’s enabled, you’ll bypass the results page when you get an answer correct. It makes reviews feel a lot faster to me.

Try it out!

4 Likes

Thanks so much for helping out, @marosluuce!

I know a few people in this thread asked for this feature, and I hope they’ll take advantage of it. I recommend everyone give it a shot, because it definitely makes reviews go a lot faster. Plus, I’m actually pausing when I get one wrong.

1 Like

Hot on the heels of, well, the other five features we shipped in the last week or two, I’m happy to share that we’ve just pushed the most significant refactor since releasing the XP, Level, and home page overhaul last December!

These changes are mostly beneath the covers, but they lay the groundwork for most of the follow-up features that we want to build.

However, you’ll notice some things moving around.

For starters, there are a couple new options on the account settings page:

You’ll see a few new options:

• Included lesson types - You can now kanji and/or vocabulary in one place, throughout the app. Many of you prefer studying only vocab with KS, and now if you uncheck “Kanji”, no Kanji cards will appear in lessons or reviews at all. They’ll also be removed from your lesson/review counts, out of your way. If you disable both, you’ll find there isn’t a whole lot to do in the app, but that’s your perogative, I guess.

• Batch studies by type - This is huge, and will actually encourage many of you to turn kanji back on, I bet. With this, each card type (for now there are two, but I suspect we’ll be adding more this summer) will be done as one batch, in order. That means you can do all kanji cards with a kanji-drawing IME, then do all vocab with a normal Japanese typing IME.

Oh, and refresh your tabs! I know many of you keep a tab open for days or weeks, but this will absolutely blow up left and right if you don’t give the page a refresh. One fun addition in this release, however, is it’ll give us a way to actually push down a notification to you to refresh your tab when there’s a breaking version release, so you don’t have to come to the forum first :slight_smile:

4 Likes