Just can't keep up

Got it. Thank you!

1 Like

I am on a similar boat, took a vacation for a month and as a gift got over 1300 reviews on Level 13. I even have a feeling about forgetting what was learned earlier. Language is not like swimming, its slips away… but even then there is hope to get back because if it can be done once, there is a chance to reclaim, but its a constant battle… everyday . Hope to get back and enjoy again!!
Good Luck with your too :sunny:

4 Likes

I throw my system into vacation mode at night sometimes so I don’t get overwhelmed.

2 Likes

You need a new learning strategy.The issue you’re having is that you don’t have strong audio associations in Japanese. For example, if you were to hear the word “antidisestablishmentarianism,” a word almost every American native knows, you would remember it after hearing it only once. However, when you hear “taikai,” instead of having a bunch of meaning for your brain to cling to, it hits a vacuum.

“Oh thanks Einstein, I just need to be better at Japanese.”
lol, no I’m not being petty, hear me out.

The number of one, two, and three letter words you know right now are negligible. Often, you’re encountering new words and the sounds are all jibberish. That means every single study session is stressful instead of exciting, sort of like trying to learn Kanji one stroke at a time.

What you really need to do is change your tack. Read. Read Japanese children’s books, read manga with furigana, even read and speak the example sentences. You need to start feeling O.K. with thinking the most basic Japanese in your head, “I need to take out the trash”, “I’m going to the bathroom”, “I’m tired”, and so on. Add some Japanese friends on Twitter, take time to understand them and give simple replies. Use the language.

Then if I tell you, “Oh Taciturn? That’s like saturn sleeping quietly.” You’ll probably remember that taciturn means quiet for the rest of your life. Don’t lose your courage and enthusiam, learning can be fun. It doesn’t have to take you hours to learn words, but you need material to work with. Integrate those particles and baby words!!!

4 Likes

You’ve got some pretty good advice already so here are some numbers to go along with that.

I do the following:

• keep apprentice count under 100
  • no more than 20 lessons per day
  • I do 3 sessions: morning, noon, evening

As such, I average around 150-200 reviews a day. Here’s what that looks like in daily time spent:

3 Likes

in WaniKani, lessons are your accellerator. if you don’t want to go as fast, do fewer lessons per day. if you have a review overload because you’ve been going to fast, stop doing lessons while you get your reviews back down.

there is no need to go full speed, and the people who do go fast tend to have ample free time. but there’s plenty of people taking it slow, and that’s fine ^^

maybe check out these groups: https://community.wanikani.com/t/lets-durtle-the-scenic-route/ and https://community.wanikani.com/t/team-snails-on-vacation/ for others who are taking it slow ^^

6 Likes

Like everyone else here, I keep my apprentice under 100 too. In addition, I’ll sometimes take a day or two “off” just to do reviews and try to get my apprentice as close to zero as I can :laughing::notes:

2 Likes

Did you reply to the right thread? Or am I missing something?

3 Likes

Basically what I’ve done. I am currently level 12. I think I stopped at level 12 two years ago and then mid way through last year I started fresh. Now I only do lessons when I am running out of reviews. It’s working out quite nicely. It’s slower - I’m not getting this done in a year or anything - but that’s ok. I’m not in a rush.

2 Likes

Did you know that can quit the session whenever you want by clicking on the home button on the top left-hand corner? WaniKani will save your progress and you can continue where you left off when you come back.

I just found that out not long ago and it made my life a lot easier, though it does make leveling up much slower.

2 Likes

I hear a lot of people talking about keeping the apprentice number to 100 but personally I’ve found that 60 is the magic number for me. I have a couple of predictably busy periods at work and during those times I’ll not doing any lessons and just do reviews. It really helps nail the leeches and means that when I do start again, I haven’t got so many guru and master items coming back at the same time so it keeps the overall review numbers down. Find a pace that works for you.

8 Likes

That’s impressive, I can’t even really get it under 100 because of returning old items :smiley:

1 Like

Going out like that leaves the session. Any item you have answered both sides of will always save as you did them, but items you only did one side of will only be stored a limited time (2 hours? Not sure)
You can click the “wrap up” button to get those items you have half finished, and then leave with all your work done (even though there are more reviews left)

Sorry if I didn’t explain it well :caught_durtling:

3 Likes

There is a ‘wrap up’-button? Can you show a screen shot? Or is it a script you use?

1 Like

It’s the thing that looks like a clock on the left.

5 Likes

I’m so sorry! It hurts so deep when guru’ed Kanji go back to apprentice… I have some leeches that keep coming back. There’s a whole thread on how to squash them that I’ve been lurking around. Maybe you’d like it too??

3 Likes

I’m too lazy. I just let the SRS do its thing.

With enough exposure (especially in the wild) it will get better eventually.

3 Likes

When you say “look at your guru items”, doesn’t that defeat the point if the SRS?

1 Like

He meant: Look at the number :smiley:

But it can always happen that you stumble upon a Kanji right before reviewing.
The reviews are always influenced by other factors anyway, for example you might get the Kanji wrong, but in the same session you get the same Kanji as vocabulary item right. It happens.

4 Likes

Oooooh…now I,m so happy.

Thanks!

1 Like