JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Book Cub (Now Reading)

Yet another gorgeous piece by Araki. His, dare I say, bizzare, use of color is so alluring. I love all of the JoJo references he snuck in! :joy:

7 Likes

The colors are garish, but they work so well for Jojo.

6 Likes

I know, I was amazed by it. Can’t expect less from Araki though, unless there’s been another, he’s still the only manga author to be featured in the Louvre. His exhibition was held there in 2009, I believe.

He’s come a loooong way from:

9 Likes

Picked up my book from Kinokuniya yesterday! Excited to get started!

I’m a huge Jojo fan! Honestly I don’t love parts 1 and 2, as I think you can still see Araki learning how to write compelling protagonists and villains and figuring out how to keep the constant battles suspenseful and strategic. However, sometime during part 3 he really hits his stride and it becomes so much fun. All that buildup since Phantom Blood makes part 3’s conclusion so satisfying!

4 Likes

Welcome teenprez, so glad to have another person on board! By “book” do you mean you got that edition with all of part 1 in one book? I think I came across that one once in Japan.

Araki knocked it out of the park with fights and villains in part 3, they’re some of the most memorable in the series, and one in particular I’d call one of the most iconic in anime. Part 1 is just a treat because the setting is cool and watching (or reading) Jonathan beat the devil out of zombies and vampires is awesome, and you gotta support his journey to become a gentleman. Part 1 has one villain in particular that has a powerful story, but the rest are like 80’s Hollywood action blockbuster material in my opinion, so you’re right in the regard that the early ones are shallow.

And Stands, I mean come on, they add so much dimension to the characters. I like all of parts 1-4 for varying reason, so I’m not trying to trash part 1 in any way. It’s just pulpy!

That being said, the club starts this coming Wednesday, get ready for an adventure :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I know two things about Jojo’s Bizzare Adventure:

1. Diamond is not uncrash
  2. Dora dora dora dora dora dora!!!

I might join in just by how extra the KIndle edition’s cover is. Why is this so extra? Is this Jojo? Can I look like that?

11 Likes

The “JOJO” on the cover leads me to believe it is, in fact, JoJo. The man on the cover is the first JoJo of main focus, Jonathan Joestar. Arguably the most ridiculously built character, but I think that’s because the author didn’t know how to draw, back in the 80’s. Is it possible to look like Jonathan? Maybe if you’re juicing. And yes, the cover art for the books are delightfully extra. A couple of my favorites:

And here’s this short evolution of art style I found:

9 Likes

I like the blond hair and green hair characters. o.o

4 Likes

By the way, what’s the schedule like? One chapter per week? I feel like it was discussed but can’t find it anymore.

1 Like

Giorno and Jolyne.

1 Like

Earlier it was said something like 1-2 chapters a week, possibly picking up the pace once people acclimate to it a bit.

1 Like

Wait, don’t we start today? Will there be a new thread for each chapter/volume or…? I am new to bookclubs… ^^;

3 Likes

I would expect there will be. Depending on where Bruford lives, it might still be early in the morning.

1 Like

Posted the first official thread guys, 2 chapters each week.

4 Likes

I know this might be .quite a stupid question but I am a little confused. The discussion of the first 2 chapter will be on this same thread or are we gonna make a new one?

I believe it’s going to take place here (all of the first volume):

2 Likes

Thank you really much mate.

1 Like

Yes, that thread is for all of the first volume, chapters 1-8.

1 Like

The adventure will be so worth it. :smiley:

1 Like

There’s a weekly chapter discussion of Part 6 on this JoJo Discord in case anyone wants to join :slight_smile:

Just join and check #/announcements

1 Like