JLPT level indicator script?

So for a while now I’ve been copy-pasting each item I’m learning on Wanikani into Jisho to see what JLPT level they are, so that I can focus on reading example sentences of items from the N3 level.

I was wondering if there was any script that displays the item’s JLPT level? Or maybe the whole definition from Jisho? It would save me so much time.

Theoretically not impossible, as long as Jisho offers an API of some sorts.

There isn’t such a script as far as I know, but we do have that one script which fetches the “common” indicator from jisho, so editing that script to show JLPT level shouldn’t be too hard.

Jisho API doesn’t currently return this data as part of the keyword search results. You can specify a JLPT level for the search, but then you’d have to search each level. Also, some words can appear in multiple JLPT levels.

Consider downloading a plugin for Firefox or Chrome like Yomichan. It’s useful for more than just Wanikani.

2 Likes

I don’t think this is exactly what you want… but this statistics site which uses your API key gives a couple different useful views if you want to check your progress:

View 1: wkstats
View 2: wkstats

[EDIT] Don’t use the script below, it uses a somewhat inaccurate source for determining the JLPT level of each kanji (specifically, it’s based off of the old JLPT 1…4 tests rather than the new N1…N5 tests. Sorry for making such a stupid mistake). Use my new script instead. [END EDIT]

I was bored so I made it a thing. JLPT Level should show up just underneath user synonyms. Uses KanjiDic2 for information, rather than Jisho. I thought this was the source that Jisho uses, but they appear to disagree occasionally (e.g. 米 is N3 according to Jisho, but N2 according to KanjiDic2).

I might end up making this into a more complete script later with various other bits of information (e.g. Japanese school grade, Mandarin reading).

3 Likes

Hi everyone (reposting since last ended up as a reply)

I am thinking of doing N3 or N4 this summer. I’m not quite sure which level I’m at though and want to use my Wanikani level as a comparison. If nothing else I figured it can guide me to see what I’m missing and if I’m going forwards.

I’ve started creating a website to do this. I wanted to check with the community before I spend far too much time on it though. I found the https://wkstats.com page as well but that doesn’t seem to be working anymore.

Is anyone interested to use this if I build it or are you already using something different?

The site still works fine for me. It needs the API1 key, though, maybe you put in the 2?

There’s also a new version being worked on, https://www.wkstats.com:10001/

That one uses the new API2 key, but it’s still a work in progress. The projections don’t work yet. The chart for Jlpt and the like work fine though.

At level 19 you should be good for N5 and N4 on the kanji front, and about 61% good for N3, according to wkstats.:

That said, you can’t pass the JLPT with just kanji, you need grammar and listening comprehension as well, and you can’t judge that by WaniKani level at all. I think the best way to check your level would be to take a mock test online and see how you deal with it. You can find online the JLPT tests from previous years and take them as if you were in a exam setting and see how well you do.

1 Like

I did use the v2 key so with v1 key it works perfectly. I tried the updated version as well and that’s also working fine with the new key. Thanks a lot.

@jneapan indeed, I’ve no illusions that I’m fine with just Kanji. I’ve actually lived and worked in Japan for a while so I’ve studied a lot more than Kanji. It’s just nice to have something to gauge a bit against. So hard to see improvements on the grammar side :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for the tips though, have you done the https://japanesetest4you.com or do you have some other site you’ve found the tests from?

Honestly my teacher handled finding all the resources when I was studying for the JLPT so I’m not sure exactly where to get it. I think we used a Sou Matome book mostly. Sorry, my memory is a bit fuzzy on that.

I found this site that looks alright https://jlptstudy.net/

Cool, I’ll check it out. Thanks.