~ JLPT 2020 ~

wkstats.com says I’ll know 95% of the Kanji for N5 (level 10) in… two years.

1 Like

Thank you so much. It’ll be really helpful for me as well.

1 Like

Genki 1 for grammar then! Thanks a lot!

I took the test at level 8 or so, however, I have genki 1 experience. I took two semesters of Japanese in junior college. I got an A on vocab and a B on everything else. My score though, was atrocious.

I didnt study grammar much, nor listening. I thought I did well on the listening, but got a 24/60.
WK isnt enough to score well. I only scored less than a third of the total points possible.

You don’t need to be level 10 to pass, per se, but that’s coming from “I already knew that.” and I had to guess on what some of the words meant because I hadn’t learned them.

I guess it really isnt different.

1 Like

I didn’t plan on taking the jlpt again anytime soon but I kind of changed my mind. Having a jlpt to work towards to really influences the way I study and how motivated I am. Since I don’t have any clear goals in any other field of my life atm, I think it’d be nice to have one for Japanese at least :joy:

I think I’ll take the N1 in Japan this July, but I don’t expect to pass. I struggled through the N2 and although I passed with around 120/180, I think I could’ve done better. I couldn’t concentrate well and felt really disappointed afterwards. This time, I have a plan to avoid the same situation of disappointment! Passing is not my main goal, but I want to feel like I performed to the best of my ability.

My weaknesses are general comfort in the language, probably bc I lack grammar and vocab knowledge. Hopefully reading loads and actively studying grammar will help me take the test more comfortably! For me, this is also a completely new way of studying Japanese, so I’m curious to see what my weakest areas will be this time.

5 Likes

Start your grammar journer (as soon as possible) with Organic Japanese with Cure Dolly (start from Lesson 1) on YouTube. The person explains the grammar in the best and the easiest way possible. They sound a bit creepy, but with the English subtitles you can do it.

And practice your listening a lot from the beginning. The real exam will be much more difficult than all practice tests together (at least it was like this for me).

1 Like

Anyone planning on taking the JLPT in London, registration opens on 17 March for July and the fee just went up to £100 :scream: :sob: :scream: :sob: :scream: I think in light of this I’m going to wait until the December test so I stand a very good chance of passing N4, as I don’t want to be taking it too often at that price!

https://www.soas.ac.uk/languagecentre/awards/jlpt/

4 Likes

£100?! I was upset enough when it went to £85! Guess I’ll give it a miss in July I can’t afford it. ^^;;;

1 Like

holy shit, that’s expensive :see_no_evil: I hope they don’t rise the price in germany

2 Likes

Wait, how much does it normally cost? I’m taking it in Washington DC in December :fearful:

1 Like

So expensive! :open_mouth: In the Netherlands it’s also 100 euro, luckily I can take it in Japan this year, where it’s a loooot cheaper…

2 Likes

It used to be £75. :sob: How much is it in Germany? :slight_smile:

@Haiena JLPT in UK used to be £75 then I think it went up £85 in 2017(?). The Japanese JLPT site says 5,500円 for Japan… such a huge price difference. Hopefully it hasn’t gone up for you!

@NathaLire Wow that is expensive as well! I read in Japan it’s 5,500円…huuuuuuge difference! I wouldn’t feel so bad if I failed for that cost. :sweat_smile: Best of luck on your test! :smiley:

3 Likes

It was $60 for this past December in the U.S.

1 Like

Considering, you’re already level 51, how much do you think you need to work on vocab? Do you think reaching level 60 is enough or is more required?

1 Like

I’m probably going to take N3 this year. I failed N4 last year but it was because of listening; I did just fine on vocab/grammar. Hoping I can get tons of listening/speaking practice this year and pass!

1 Like

I reset to 31, but do you mean for N1 or N2? My vocab seemed to be enough for N2, since I passed, but WK are not the only words I know. By the estimation of the quiz my teacher put together, I have a vocab of about 4500 words (based on the percentage correct of a 36 question quiz I take every week, which takes questions from a limited pool of words, right now at max 5500 items, but ever growing, as words are added weekly). Of course a lot of that is not active. Also, being able to read kanji lets you guess at the meanings of jukugo that you don’t learn on WK. Also, context is a big help in the reading section.

I was thinking of N1. :slight_smile: What other resources do you use to learn vocab? Do you find that is the main obstacle for N1 or do you think there will be more important obstacles?

1 Like

I never did any active vocab study in any meaningful way outside of WK, but I do think it will be an obstacle I will need to tackle on the way to N1, yes. Ideally I would have just stayed on course for getting to 60, at least in terms of raw kanji knowledge.

They say for N1 you need a passive vocab of around 10k words, right? But if you find you pick up words easily outside of WK, at least passively, then getting vocab up to speed should not be too hard, I hope.

I think the disambiguation questions (‘which word fits best in the given sentence’ type questions) and meaning questions (‘which sentence uses given word in the correct way’ type questions) are the hardest for me, since I often don’t really know the word, except I might guess from the kanji.

Where do you stand in terms of vocab knowledge, but also grammar level?

I studied japanese for three years at uni, one of those years were in Japan. Though that was around 10 years ago. However, I’m fortunate to now have a japanese partner that I speak to daily. So that helps. I’m probably around N2, probably slightly below.

I was thinking of just chipping away at WK, to fill in any gaps that I have in vocabulary.

2 Likes

I saw the price hike at work earlier today when they tweeted out that information was up, and visibly sank down in my seat to the extent where a coworker asked me if I was okay. :sweat_smile:

I need to push myself through an exam in July though just to get a gauge on where I’m at, so I’ll be paying it regardless. Pretty sure listening is my weakness but it’d be nice to have it spelled out on paper to discover if I’m as bad as I think I am or whether I’m not in fact a lost hope. :joy:

3 Likes