~ JLPT 2020 ~

Kanji LOOKS like the hardest thing in Japanese when you are at level 0 in terms of knowledge.

imo listening and speaking are probably the hardest parts, I’d say Grammar too, but that’s just cuz I kind of neglected it for a bit.

4 Likes

Same here. I ask people so often what they said in my native language, haha. I used to think kanji was the hardest, since i know WK i agree listening is the hardest (and size of active vocab).

2 Likes

Any individual kanji, or word written in kanji, isn’t hard. It’s the totality of it.

Not that listening or speaking aren’t hard.

1 Like

I speak like a caveman reading a particularly bad roumaji interpretation. “Wahtahshee noh nawmai wah…”

I just forget every bit of vocab and grammar I’ve ever learnt when under the pressure.
To be fair, it’s lack of practising, my speaking did improve when I went to Japan last and I plan to go to Japanese speaking meet ups in my home city when I’m free when they’re on.

Apparently my accent and pronunciation is good, at least.

5 Likes

Will this be the year where I finally sit the jlpt? Who knows. I do know, however, that the n3 is no longer the goal, especially since I’ve started reading native materials on my own.

You’re no longer James anymore!!! :tada:

4 Likes

Why did I include WaniKani as an option, obviously people here would be using WaniKani.

@Leebo Nice title.

Good luck if you do! It’s a good gauge of level. Especially N2 and N1, which see SO far off for me.

4 Likes

My 2020 JLPT Goals are:

Take N3 in July, and if pass sit for N2 (I probably won’t pass, but I want to get a feel for it).

If I fail N3 in July, I’ll probably retake it in December.

I skipped this December because my jump from N4 to N3 would have been too much to cover in just 4 months.

1 Like

My knowledge is pretty patchy, so I’m not really capable of judging exactly where I am on the JLPT scale. I know I’m missing some earlier levels grammar, and lacking in vocabulary, but n3 material is getting to be too easy…

Good luck to you too! You can do it!!!

1 Like

I don’t have an organized study plan so much as I have a conglomeration of resources that I try to use at least somewhat consistently. :sweat_smile: But here’s what I’ve been using!

1. SRS: WaniKani, Bunpro, and Memrise (pretty much entirely for vocab. I have one N4 and one N3 vocab course)
  2. Bunpo, not Bunpro, is also really nice for grammar.
  3. YouTube channels: Japanese Ammo with Misa for grammar, Sambon Juku for listening. I also watch some 実況プレイ. I really like レトルト :slightly_smiling_face:
  4. A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar. Best. Thing. Ever.
  5. Pokemon games (specifically Platinum and White 2!)
  6. Dramas for listening practice. I’ve been watching イタズラなKISS lately. It’s not the easiest thing in the world though (but that’s just cause I suck at listening :stuck_out_tongue:)
  7. HelloTalk for practice. I also happened to meet another learner at a bookstore awhile back who told me about a meetup group they go to. Getting there is a little inconvenient, but I’m hoping I can make that part of my study routine too!

Also, @Saimin thanks for the JapaNews24 recommendation! I’ve had it on for the last little while and I can actually understand little bits here and there :open_mouth:

3 Likes

I should probably get back to properly reviewing stuff if I’m going to do N1 again. I want to try to improve my score, so it’ll be a little pointless if I don’t give myself enough time with the grammar. That’s the main thing that needs to be brushed up on, because everything else I’ve continued to maintain or use.

6 Likes

They’re great for practice. I’m glad they’ve added kanji as an option, but wish the first four generations had it too.
I bought White, White 2, X, Omega Ruby, and Shield for these purposes (chose these versions since I had played the other version already in English).
Tempted to pick up Let’s Go Pikachu too but I haven’t finished Let’s Go Eevee in English yet.

Also I didn’t get Sun and Ultra Sun because I never finished Ultra Moon because I can’t force myself to play that game again.

1 Like

What apps: Anki, of course :slight_smile: Also sometimes TangoRisto for reading practice (but haven’t used it in a long time).

What listening practice: I regularly take classes with JOI, and sometimes with italki (but very rarely). I don’t count these as „real people“ because they communicate in a classroom-style, controlled way.

I have a study log dedicated to all the resources I’m using.

To prep for N3 I (first have to catch up on N4 grammar) :shushing_face: use

• for garmmar: Bunpro, to supplement I look up specific grammar points in Genki and the Dictionary of Basic/Intermediate Grammar. I also watch 1-2 Cure Dolly videos a week on YouTube. In a few months I will start with the Kanzen Master grammar book to further strengthen my knowledge of the N3 grammar points and for JLPT specific pratice.

• for listening: watching shows on Netflix, listening to the Bunpro example sentences before looking at them or their translation, JLPT specific - listening exercises on https://japanesetest4you.com/ and https://jlptstories.com/. Later on, I will practice with the Kanzen Master listening book and I might try some of the podcasts that have been mentioned.

• for reading: book club readings (trying to read every day), later on I will also use the Kanzen Master reading book for JLPT practice

• for vocab: Ankidroid

• for kanji: Wanikani

4 Likes

Well, it’s back to grind. "cracks open 新完全マスタ*

Anyone who has had to re-take a test have any tips for studying? Like if you already went through all the material/grammar once, what should you do differently this time? Is it just purely review?

7 Likes

If I passed, N4 in Dec. If not. N5. Gotta wait three hours for the results.

2 Likes

I’d like to aim for the N4 in Demember… but we’ll see! I’ve only recently resumed studying after a while of not touching any material. I’m trying to go for a really well-rounded approach using WaniKani for kanji, Torii for vocab, Genki I for grammar, and Mango Languages for listening/speaking. I’ll be enrolling in some formal Japanese classes this Spring, which I’m really looking forward to. I think come July, I’ll really look at my progress and decide whether or not to buckle down and start aiming for the N4 in earnest (as opposed to focusing on learning Japanese in a more general sense).

5 Likes

So despite the fact that the test isn’t for another 11 months, I’m confident I’ve failed. Anybody else a negative Nelly or just me?

Definetly go for it! I took the N4 and passed after basically just resuming my studies about a year before sitting the test. I’d recommend picking up some JLPT specific books for the N4 and you’ll be able to sit it in December.

4 Likes

So the official date for JLPT 2020 is out: 5th July and 6th December.
Apparently, the test result for December are also out.

This will be my first JLPT and I’m already excited. My last sit-down exam has been many years ago.

9 Likes