JLPT 2019!

There is no restriction whatsoever. You can take each test as often as you want, even if you passed before.
They ask some statistics questions about that on the application form, but it has nothing to do with being admitted or not.
I speak from personal experience; I took N5 twice (and passed both) and now I will take N4 the second time (and passed the previous one).

4 Likes

Thanks for your answer.
That means I’ll go for the N2 in December.
No point in doing N3 because I can’t use it in my job search anyway.

Who knows, maybe I’ll even end up scoring pretty well.

4 Likes

For those not guru’d past their target JLPT level vs. WK level, by what means did you search the missing kanji? Did you go through your stat page and search them down or is there an easier method? I know it’s just an estimated list anyways.

1 Like

There’s no official kanji list but I find the wkstats JLPT list helpful to see which kanji I have already gurued and which ones might be missing: wkstats
You can just hover over the gray kanji to see the onyomi and meaning or click on them to get to the wanikani page for that kanji.

Just did a practice test for N4 yesterday and they had a question regarding the kanji 眠 (sleep). That one, for example, is not on the N4 but N3 list on wkstats and on wanikani’s page for that kanji it even says N2 :rofl: (not 100% sure but I think that information is from a script not wanikani itself telling me it’s a N2 kanji…)

3 Likes

If you never encountered the kanji, it goes to Jisho (which is great) but I wanted to create special list in my Jisho account. Is there a way to do this?

Weblio has a sign-in feature and allows a member to save entries…it’s not my favorite but it works and you only get 200 saved entries for free until a paid premium membership.

I found a solution on the Jisho forum for anyone interested in generating a Jisho list in their account for their yet to be studied kanji via WK stats. (I don’t think the script writer is on WK but if you see this, big thank you!)

When you click on a kanji from WKstats, you need to erase the “#kanji”, refresh the search, and then click “details”. This will formulate an ‘Add to My Words’ option…and that is it, super easy!

4 Likes

My way of repeating grammar according to my mistakes in the practice exams didn’t work out, I made too many mistakes (lol) so I decided to use the shinkanzen master n2 grammar book, in particular pages 122 to 190 to practice all grammar for the n2 (mostly excluding n5, n4, n3).

I’ve been getting increasingly lower scores at the practice exams lol sad

2 Likes

I feel like the state you are in that day (how well rested, and so on) and just having a little bit of luck with the questions can make quite a difference - unless someone is super duper prepared and basically above the level for which they are taking the test. Maybe we just have to hope that we will have a good day in 4 weeks and have some luck with the questions :wink:

There is still 4 weeks to go so if none of the grammar is new to you and you “just” have to repeat it, it might still work out just fine. How is it going with vocabulary? I feel like I will be at a good enough point for grammar and listening for the N3 but vocab and even kanji… I’ll need a lot of luck.

3 Likes

You might be right :frowning: I hope so, because I’ve been feeling a bit less motivated because of the lower scores. I will stop taking tests for a few days and then continue well-rested and positively.

I agree with you on the vocabulary, I also often feel that even if I know a word, I forget about the nuances that are necessary to answer the question sometimes. Does that happen to you too?

1 Like

I tried a few mock tests and failed a bunch. But all on grammar, not on kanji.
Which just means I need to reevaluate my priorities.

I think that is a good plan :slight_smile:
And we must not forget that all the stuff we are learning now will be helpful in the future, no matter if we pass the test or not. It is so easy to lose sight of the actual goal of learning and enjoying a language when we focus too much on a test.

I’ve definitely had a couple of questions where I didn’t manage to get the nuance wrong. There is probably not much we can do about that but read and listen more?

Moreover, I tend to overthink my answers - no matter if it is kanji, vocab or grammar. Initially, I feel like one answer is right, then I start thinking about it and for some “logical” reason I change my answer only to later find out that my initial instinct was right.
During the actual test I’m planning on listening more to my initial instinct and only change my answer if I’m quite certain or e.g. misread something at first. That worked out well for N5 and N4 but things are getting more tricky now - I might just not be prepared enough. We will see soon enough.

I’m looking forward to focusing more on just reading and listening and less on grammar and vocabulary lists after July. If it it works out the way I want it to, I’ll just never study vocabulary lists again because those just don’t work for me. I’m glad about all the progress I’m making now and I wouldn’t studied as much if it wasn’t for the JLPT but I’ll be really happy when it is over.

Do I remember correctly that you are going for either N3 or N2 in December? So you still have a few months left to prepare? Plenty of time for a grammar sprint then. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Correct, I was originally planning the N3, because I need to see what this test is all about before I take the big plunge for the N2 next year.
Then later I figured, just take the N2 this December.
But now i’m like… maybe not… lol.
Totally depends on how quickly I can pick up the grammar I’m missing.
So I’ll decide the moment the admissions open.

6 Likes

I feel anxious to take the exam this coming July as I was only short of 4 points last December for the N2 Test. I’m worrying that my scores will be lower as I haven’t done any listening practice. Anyways, 頑張ろう!

4 Likes

I’m really not feeling confident about taking the N4 in July. I signed up for the test as more of a motivator for studying, and it worked, but I still feel like there’s so much grammar I haven’t covered. I barely passed N5 this past December after studying since August last year. I know everything has improved greatly since then, but I still don’t think it will be enough. With that said, however, I do think that taking the test will be a good experience.

I am still waiting on my testing card, I don’t remember it taking this long to get to me for the December test. Maybe I’m just feeling anxious.

10 Likes

I don’t feel comfortable either. I did N5 last July, N4 in December and now N3. There is so much ground to cover and I don’t have a lot of free time.

But as you said: at least it is a great motivation and I definitely pushed myself harder than I would have without the test. So even if we fail, „the real goal was the grammar points we met along the way“. :wink:

I still would love to pass because at the moment I feel so over the JLPT and would be happy to not have to take it again in December. All we can do is study a bit harder in the next 24 days, I guess. We can do it!

9 Likes

How’s everyone doing preparing for the JLPT? Less than a month left!

I’m so behind on grammar and on listening practice… and oh well vocab is okay-ish. I’m good at reading, I think, but I’m still a bit too slow. :((( Thanks to wanikani I’m not lacking much kanji knowledge. That’s the only part I feel confident in.

I’ve just been cramming through grammar the past days and will continue the upcoming three weeks… I think I will be able to pass N4 but not actually learn how to use the grammar points myself (writing and speaking mainly). So I’m just hoping the best for the JLPT and will go through Genki 1+2 after the JLPT, so that I can actually practice most of the grammar points I’ve studied for the JLPT.
…and just go with JLPT N3 for next year’s summer instead of December this year (…that was my original plan :see_no_evil:).

1 Like

Weeeell… on the bright side, I’m done with week 5 (out of 6) of Sou Matome 文法 N3 which I’m working through with my teacher. Now there is one more week of that book left which I will hopefully finish next week and then I have 2 weeks left for reviewing things – so that is actually not too bad.

I notice that my understanding of native context improved slightly recently, so studying and listening practice are paying – which is a nice feeling.

That being said, I’m not super well prepared when it comes to kanji and vocab is even worse. I’ll just hope for a little bit of luck in those areas.

I try to focus less on all things I planned to do before the test and didn’t and more on the progress I made. But that is easier said than done :wink:

Good idea! More time to focus on reading, reviewing earlier grammar and less stress :+1:

5 Likes

I am doing N3, but I have been in a N2 level class mostly (also following N4 level classes). My worry is that maybe I am missing some N3 level grammar, but I read through the grammar booklet for みんなの日本語中級I and though I should really do some practice on those, at least they didn’t seem too surprising, mostly.

I am planning to do a full practice test (downloaded from the jlpt website) in about two weeks.

(PS: オランダ人ですか?お名前はオランダ人のに似ています。)

3 Likes

Just a suggestion but if you do it sooner, it might help you to see which areas to focus on in the next 3 weeks?

Which makes me realize: I was planning to do another sample test around this time too. Thanks for the reminder! Maybe I’ll do that tonight then.

ドイツ人 かな? :thinking:

3 Likes

@Saida, @irrelephant: ドイツ人です。:wink:

I have already bookmared some of your posts with resources and download links, @irrelephant, for when I start studying for N3. So, thanks for those!

3 Likes