Japanese Stores in Los Angeles or San Diego

Hi everyone!

I am traveling in the US this week, and will be visiting San Diego and Los Angeles.

Does anybody have to suggest a physical store, where I could find Manga or Novels in Japanese?

Also, if you have visited these cities (or live there) which places would you suggest I visit? Still have space in my itinerary and am wondering about other peoples’ experiences.

Was not sure in which category this topic fit, so I’ll just put it out there

3 Likes

San Diego native here :v:t2:

For manga I would go to North Park & hit up Nuclear Comics & Verbatim Books. Two very cool spots. There’s also Now or Never Comics downtown & Comics & Stuff in Mission Valley.

For destinations I would hit up Sunset Cliffs & La Jolla. There’s ton to see & do in Balboa Park. We have a quick ferry ride from “Fifth Avenue Landing” to Coronado. Lots of good food spots in Coronado. You have the Maritime Museum Boat, SeaWorld & Mt. Soledad. 100% go to Mt. Soledad at night before it closes at 10pm of course. It’s not really a mountain it’s a huge hill that overlooks La Jolla & Pacific Beach. It’s crazy up there at night. Hopefully this helped you out a bit

4 Likes

Helped a lot! Thank you :smile:

1 Like

Kinokuniya, Little Tokyo, Los Angeles.

10 Likes

San Diego has Book-offs, great for discounts, and random Japanese books.

Any Barnes & Noble can be good for manga, but bad for the wallet.

2 Likes

Although the Japanese section is a bit small, from what I remember, there’s still a lot to look through.

There are also a couple of Japanese shops near Book-Off if one is looking for other things (like Japanese snacks, stationery, etc).

Tokyo Central & Main has a small Sanrio Surprises attached to it. I haven’t been in the Marukai, so I don’t know if they have more than just Japanese groceries.

This is in Kearny Mesa (part of San Diego), off Balboa Avenue (and coincidentally not far from where I work).

1 Like

I’ll let you know when I go, then. :eyes:

Mitsuwa and Nishiki Ramen are also pretty good.

1 Like

Yeah if I was you I’d go to the Kinokuniya. They sell manga in both english and Japanese!!!

I see there are two different locations in Los Angeles too.

Veggie Grill is also pretty good too.

I wish there was a Kinokuniya and Veggie Grill in my state… :crying_cat_face:

Surely the plural is Books-Off? :slightly_smiling_face:

Los Angeles has Little Tokyo, nothings gonna be that in San Diego (lived in both places most of my life).

Book-oves. :roll_eyes:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.