Japanese Sentence a Day Challenge

昨日コロナウイルスのワクシンを受け取った。安心しているけど、ワクチンの展開は遅い。。。速度に心配だった。

I received the covid vaccine yesterday. I’m relieved, but the vaccine rollout is going slowly… I’m worried about the speed.

4 Likes

今日はせっかく忙しくなくて寒すぎなかったのだからグリルを使いました。あった全部の肉をわざわざ料理しておいたし一週間以上食べられます。

せっかく, わざわざ

“I wasn’t busy and it wasn’t too cold today, so I used the grill. I went ahead and cooked all the meat I had so I can eat it for at least a week.”
Love that there are specific words for these situations: せっかく, a rare opportunity is taken advantage of (or regretfully missed); わざわざ, going out of one’s way to do something extra. Guest appearance from the conjunction し, which I don’t think I’ve ever used before and happened to be on the next page of DBJG after the せっかく entry.

おいしかったです!

2 Likes

勉強で頭が痛い場合は、短期休みをしてください。

TL Note

Means “if” or “in case of”.

Bonus: どうして地球がまるいですか。面白いか事実かの答えをしてください。

コーラルは植物ではなくて、動物です。自分の食べ物を作らないが、小さい触手で食い物を取ります。

TL Note

Means “is not”.

1 Like

今日意外と働かないならなかったから、あまり読みかねました

Vmasu + かねる

(DIJG) Auxiliary verb expressing “cannot do”, “not in a position to do”, in a slightly different way than the regular potential tense; seems like it’s more due to circumstance than an inherent inability. Note that the positive conjugations of かねる that express something that can’t be done; the negative versions work like a double negative, in effect saying “might”, “very possible”.

I’m not certain if this counts as a negative verb for the purpose of あまり meaning “not much”?

1 Like

Ah, sorry about that!

Well, here’s the cool furigana userscript at least! [Userscript] Forum: IME2Furigana It might be on computers only, but it’s a great way to practice typing while still making things easier on other users. I’ve been meaning to get it for a while now :sweat_smile:

I’ll add it to the original post too in case others would like to use it as well.

3 Likes

(ぼく)心配(しんぱい)する。日本(にほん)には(おそ)いだ。多分(たぶん)三月(さんがつ)五月(ごがつ)にワクチン()る。

1 Like

甘い飲み物とソーダと人工ジュースなどを飲みません。太ってくるから。

TL Note

Means “etc”.

Made corrections as suggested by Leebo. Thanks!

1 Like

You don’t need that こと after など.

You would use ~てくる to express the idea of “becoming” when it’s a verb. ~になる would attach to a noun or な adjective.

(drinks almost nothing but sugary drinks and isn’t fat >_>)

2 Likes

最近スウェーデンの音楽を聞いていますから、スウェーデン語を学びたい。

1 Like

大学でスエーデン語の授業に出席したが、今はしか何も覚えないよ。好きなことの一つは挨拶の「ヘイヘイ」って覚えた。将来にこの言語を復習しなければならないよ。でもさ、今更ワニカニの方が大事だよね。:sweat_smile:

1 Like

今日私は仕事を行きました, でも、行きたくなかった。

Just getting back into my Japanese studies after a long break :pensive: had to reset my account and refresh myself of the basics so please someone correct any mistakes in my sentence!

ありがとう!

1 Like

Welcome! You probably want to use the particle に after 仕事 rather than を; に marks the destination of movement verbs.

And my sentence of the day:
昨日フットボールの選手のドリューブリーズはリタイアしたがったそうです。

がる

“Yesterday, football player Drew Brees (seemed like he) wanted to retire, I heard.”
Auxiliary verb used with adjectives like (Vmasu)たい or 欲しい that describe something about another person’s mind or experience that, however evident it may be, Japanese treats as as not directly knowable the way the contents of your own mind are. So the verb がる is used to express “seems like,” “appears to” in situations that wouldn’t be necessarily described that way in English.

1 Like

ノルウェー人ですから、スウェーデン語も話せます😆
ヴィクター・レクシェルの「弱い」聞いたことがありますか?

Of course, thank you! And now you’ve said it my brain instantly went, oh yea I know that :sweat_smile: it’s nice coming back into Japanese and brushing up on the things you’ve been over before, makes you feel like you’re learning at an incredible speed.

Just not looking forward to when I reach the point I stopped before and it all slows down again!

Thanks for the tip :+1:

Nei! 歌を聞きましたところです。好きです!たくさんの年間スウェーデンのバンドを聞きました(jj, CEO, the tough alliance, Air France, PB&J, First Aid Kit, Lykke Li, etc.). そして、Spotifyの勧めでもっとを習いましたところです。(Veronica Maggio, Broder Daniel, Hakan Hellstrom, etc.).

(That sentence is an absolute mess. Was trying to say: No! I just listened to the song. I like it! I have listened to Swedish bands for years (like the examples I gave). So / then, through spotify’s recommendations I just recently learned of some others. (Those others, of course, are the ones who sing more in Swedish, which is why I’m talking about how it’s made me want to learn it).

1 Like

You should only use a masu form at the end of the sentence or clause… whenever you combine a verb with some grammar point like ところ it needs to be in plain form. Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

明日、本棚を掃除するようにします

TL Note

Means “to try”.

2 Likes

おはよう!
これはこのフォーラムに私の初めての文章です!

3 Likes

本棚と言えば、私のも整理したいです。

と言えば

“Speaking of bookshelves, I also want to organize mine.”

2 Likes