Japanese Sentence a Day Challenge

紅茶はありませんが、黒豆茶 なら あります。

2 Likes

僕はこのために生まれてきたんだな。。。 生まれてきて。。。良かった。

T: Note

Didn’t write this one myself but I was so enamored by that phrase I had to write it down while also showing a grammar point. Got it from here: Don’t watch this if you do- HACHAMACHAMAAAA

3 Likes

仕事でクリスマス以来5つのコロナの症例があります。
ワシントンDCの近くに住んでいますから、 特に悩んでいます。合衆国議会議事堂の襲撃もスーパースプレッダーだったと思います。

2 Likes

最近(さいきん)は ヤクザをよくやります。()時間(じかん)全然(ぜんぜん)みだれてしまいました。

1 Like

今日読み時がありませんでした。新しい文法を学ばなかったわけです。

わけ

“I didn’t have time to read today. No wonder/that’s why I didn’t learn any new grammar.”
わけ functions like はず or べき, as the head of a noun phrase, with a meaning similar to はず but with the added connotation (and restriction) that it’s expressing something that’s been established in the previous context. “No wonder ___”, “So that’s why ___”, or as a question “I take it ___?”

2 Likes

明日プログラミングの試験があるけど、冬休みから勉強のやる気はなくなったって感じ。俺はプログラミングが結構うまいからどうでも合格すると思うけど、好きなことが積まなくなるなんて嫌な気分。あー、もう早くコロナなくなってほしいんだ。

2 Likes

アルゴリズムは私に「ご近所物語」の品物を勧めています。中古のjouetie ×ご近所物語の セーターがあります。日本でこのセーターを見ました!ラフォーレ原宿にだったと思います。可愛いので、買いたかった。でも「ご近所物語」を知っていませんでした。矢沢あいの作風を見分けられました。「Paradise Kiss」と「ナナ」が好きじゃない。でも今「ご近所物語」が好きです。

1 Like

フライドライスが一番簡単料理の一つです。

2 Likes

僕の好きのバスケの組の一番新しい選手はポイントガードらしいようです。

らしい

“The newest player on my favorite basketball team looks like an ideal point guard.”
Another usage of らしい (the first, an indication of conjecture similar to そう or よう), as a suffix meaning meaning “ideal”, “worthy,” “typical of”, “-ish”. An example in DBJG, “大木さんはおとこらしい,” is simply translated as “Mr. Oki is manly.”

2 Likes

「自分の夢を追いながら、流れを楽しむ」のは私のモットーです。

2 Likes

多分「焼き飯」?

そうね!僕も。でも、今は日本に住んでいるんだから栗ご飯も簡単だ。栗は買いやすい。

1 Like

「焼き飯」

新しい単語を習いました。ありがとうございます!

今は日本に住んでいるんだ。。

うらやましい!! 日本に*住んでいることがいくらですか。

*correction

1 Like

どういたしまして! :slight_smile:

ありがとうごいざいます!二年ぐらい日本に住んでいる。ここに住んでいるのが好き :blush:でも、アメリカの友達を見たい。 :pleading_face:

住む uses に and not で btw

1 Like

最近天気がいいんだけど、都市のウイルウがうつった人がふえたので、家族と出かけられません。

セキロの100%達成なゲーマとして、ゲームが難しいしすごく楽しいです。戦いに*勝つように、練習と相手の動き方を覚えることが大切です。

P.S. 刀で戦いの音は私に音楽みたいです。

TL Note

Two different grammar points. The first is “as a gamer who…” while the second one is “So that you can win…”.

*correction: 勝つ is intransitive :sweat_smile:

1 Like

今日店が忙しかったから上司は私に遅く働かせました。

TL

“My boss made/let me work late today because the store was busy.”

Not hiding this part cause I’m curious if anyone wants to chime in: grammar of the causative tense is simple enough but I was genuinely a little confused about some cultural questions this raised. I wasn’t sure whether to use くれる as an auxiliary, and clarify that my boss “let” me work late, earning a little more money, or to flip it around and use あげる to phrase it like I did them a favor, giving more of my time. I think in America, whether it’s true or not, this kind of thing is thought of as more of an equal transaction, buying my time for money, than it might be in Japan where your boss is unambiguously of higher status than you (not that they in fact aren’t here, but not in a way that’s so deeply embedded in the language.)

So how do you use Japanese to speak about situations like this that occurred in the context of a different culture – do you default to speaking as though everyone involved was of equal social status or do you map these interactions onto the way they would probably be perceived in Japanese society?

2 Likes

大きい神社を調べに行って、焚き火を見て、それから他のお客さんの祈ることを見た。期待より祈り方はフクザツそうだったから、参加しないで逃げた。私、おかしかったみたいはず。でも、例えば、なんで二つの寄付箱がある?「こうか、二回柏手、おじぎ]だと思っていたのに、二つの箱で手続きが曇る。しかも期待よりお客さんが長い時間過ごした。

2 Likes

本当(ほんとう)にすげい!

Questions that will otherwise take me an hour to figure out how to ask in Japanese

What do you mean by two donation boxes? As in each person was making a donation at both boxes or were there just two there?

Sometimes the way you pray depends on the shrine or time of year. I’m not sure if it’s all the time or just in the Month of the Gods, but you’re supposed to do a different version at Izumo Taisha then.

「フクザツ」は片仮名(かたかな)で?Jisho.comでない。でも、Weblioで片仮名(かたかな)である ()片仮名(かたかな)で「フクザツ」は()漢字(かんじ)で「フクザツ」よりフクザツになるか? :joy:

Attempted: "complicated in katakana? It’s not on Jisho, but it is on Weblio. Does writing “complicated” in katakana make it more complicated than writing “complicated” in kanji?

I feel like this is a sensical way to combine naru and yori, but I don’t know if it’s grammatically acceptable. Feedback highly welcome (as always).

Also I hope this doesn’t come off as teasing you. I just find it funny that a word that has kanji and is normally written in kanji (inferring from Jisho.com) has, not a hiragana version, but a katakana version. Doesn’t turning “complicated” into a beast or foreign origin word make it more complicated?

2 Likes

I just wrote it in katakana because I, myself, don’t actually know how to read either of the kanji and I don’t know how do that W I C K E D furigana on top thing you do.

日本語でホラーゲームをやりたいから,日本語を勉強している。:yum:

Ahh, japanese is hard, but I’m going to have to start somewhere!
(Maybe that’s my sentence for tomorrow…)

3 Likes