Japanese Sentence a Day Challenge

I’m definitely overstepping my knowledge here, but to me those are 2 things

• you think it would be a waste
  • from their perspective it would be a waste

To swap only the ending
私の会社から見れば、凄くもったいないかもしれない
It might be that from their perspective it’s a waste.

3 Likes

I could use that too. I’ll check with my japanese people and see what they say. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

日本語の勉強が楽しいけど、上達しないと思う。でも、毎日、頑張る。

Studying Japenese is fun but I don’t think I’m improving. But I try hard everyday

Hitting one of the plateaus but also beating myself up IRL. I’ll never give up, however.

3 Likes

So I’m gonna preface my sentence today, I write my daily sentence assuming I know the grammar but am happy to be corrected, this is how you learn. Today’s is a bit weirder because I don’t think I know the grammar at all but are going to make a huge guess and maybe someone corrects me. LETSA GO.supermario.jpeg.

犬がかわいい。パンの犬はかわいい。

So tonight is the が/は trouble. I can’t ever pretend I know how it works, but here’s my thinking:

I want to say dogs are cute, no specific dog, they’re all cute so I use が. If I instead used は, that would be me saying a specific dog is cute and from context with the rest of the conversation, it would be obvious which dog I meant.

My second sentence is specifically referencing Korone, so I’ve said in general dogs are cute, but also bread dog is definitely cute!

1 Like

日本人の友達が何か言いましたか。

For what it’s worth, I agree with this reasoning. However, if you put those 2 sentences back-to-back, they sound a little strange. If you said 犬がかわいい。特に/例えばパンの犬。 I think that would be more telling.

特に - especially
例えば - for example

今週、「ポケモン」の漫画の日記を初めてつもりだ。

Feels a little clunky this one.

As I said in another thread, I’m going to stop anki and instead actually read things. I’m going to start a diary this week for reading the Pokemon Special manga :smiley:

2 Likes

There’s no verb after the を.

初めて is an adverb and つもり is a noun.

The verb “to begin” is 始める, so you can say 始めるつもり or 書き始めるつもり.

3 Likes

Somebody who has a better command of Japanese than me can probably give a better answer to that, but my understanding was that は vs. が has more to do with information and not with definiteness.

If you say 犬は好きです, you’re basically saying “if we’re talking about dogs, I like them”. While dogs as a whole are not specific, everyone knows what dogs are, so there’s no need to introduce them in a conversation beforehand, you can just make them a topic, if you want to.

Of course, you can also say 犬が好きです. In that context, the topic is the implicit subject, so if you’re trying to talk about yourself (or some other person) that likes dogs that would he more natural.

And of course if someone asks you what you like, you should use が in your answer, as in that case, the particle serves to highlight (focus) 犬.

But 好き is a bit of a special case anyway, as this is a construction that has two が arguments, one of them being a “が object” (at least that’s a common analysis of it). I think it’s generally more common to have subjects as topics and since 犬 is the object, there might be a preference to having it marked with が.

It would be different if you said something like 犬が走る vs. 犬は走る, where 犬 is the subject.

3 Likes

否。。。時間がなかった。

1 Like

今晩、オレの漫画のにっきを始めた!

1 Like

今晩、とても眠いので、お持ち帰りのピザを注文しました。

3 Likes

ピザを()べたい 。 ^ 。
(すこ)しください 。0 。

3 Likes

Pemboさんが好きなピザのトッピングは何ですか?

1 Like

一口ちょうだい~

descarga

3 Likes

鶏肉とスイートコーンが一番好き。

あ、たくさんガーリックソースも!

2 Likes

今までスイートコーンのピザを食べたことない :thinking:

今日はピザを食べるかもしれない

3 Likes

今週の週末、とても忙しいので、新しいワニカニの教訓を勉強しない、たぶん。勉強の時があまりない。

I’m basically trying to say I’m so busy this weekend that I probably won’t do any new WK lessons, I just don’t have much time to study.

1 Like

くそ、毎週日本語の授業を受けてまだ上手にならなかった。どうやって他人は早くペラペラになるのか全然わかんない。:pensive:

けど、先生の喋り方しかわからん。

2 Likes

linchouせんぱいは自分のボコボコしなくてもいい!

linchouせんぱいの助けに感謝する!

1 Like

あっ、やさしい言葉をありがたい、ペンボ君!
委員長を呼んでいい :slight_smile:

1 Like