Japanese Sentence a Day Challenge

If it was in Celsius I think it would translate to Japanese too. Reading that I was thinking in Celsius and was imagining the heat of the sun roasting me to crisp and snow somehow existing. But as an American, I read it the way you intended too. xD

2 Likes

While I was writing that I thought “someone’s definitely gonna read this in Celsius and be very confused.”

1 Like

I have the dual brain and was un/phased… (both phased and unphased).

1 Like

今日の文がつまらない。

でも、まだ書いた。

その雲は走るの犬みたいね。

I can’t wait for better weather so I can go out cloud gazing in my covertible :3

I’ve seen the following also used in songs
その雲は走る犬のように見える

2 Likes

Hmm, never thought of using のように that way, I guess when I learned it since I’d already learned ‘looks like’, I just took のように to mean does X like Y.

1 Like

The meaning still is “does X like Y” - that cloud (X) appears like a dog (Y). It’s just that it’s a little more abstract.

1 Like

Ah I wasn’t clear, I get that it means the same thing, I would have read it fine, but it would have never occured to me to use it.

I think people (in all languages) just get their favourite phrases and words for specific situations.

1 Like

日本語の構文が練習しなければいけません。

I really need to practice Japanese sentence structure.

「子どもの近くにタバコを吸う人が大嫌いです。」

I hate people that smoke near children.

日本語の構文と英語の構文はだいたい反対するので、難しいです。

Japanese sentence structure is pretty much opposite from English, so it’s difficult.

2 Likes

こんにちは!
今日はあまり新しい話がない。最近、ネット見るばかりいる。その結果、私のエネルギーを減っている。仕事で何も出来ないと言う訳です。私の会社から見れば、凄くもったいないと思う。しかし手伝うことがないし。この時真面目に勉強しているんですが早く終わっているのでもうすぐこんな「つまらない」って感じを止めてたまれない。

1 Like

I was told by my boss not to write 子供 with the 供 kanji because some people see it as being demeaning to kids. So its best practice to write 子ども.

3 Likes

You can also omit 構文 from 英語の構文 leaving just 英語の.

It’s like in English you can say ‘the red and blue ball’ instead off ‘the red ball and the blue ball’, or ‘this is John’s book, that is Amy’s’

I’ve seen this a few times here lately, but I think 日本語の構文と英語の feels weird and incomplete, I’d probably go with something like 日本語と英語の構文 in this case.

2 Likes

見るばかり?
見ているばかり?

“If you saw it from my company('s point of view?), I think it’s a big waste.”

What did you mean?

If my company saw that there was nothing for me to do at work they would think it was wasting time.

I was trying to use this renshuu.org but I messed up. I meant 見てばかりいる。

2 Likes

もうすぐ春になるのに昨日雪が降って、すごくびっくりしました。

1 Like

I think the problem here might be the use of 思う in
私の会社から見れば、凄くもったいないと思う

I would say it’s more of a regular statement kind of sentence so without the と思う part.

Also, 激減 is intransitive.

1 Like

But I think they would see it as a waste. how else could I express that?