Japanese Sentence a Day Challenge

I understand that with speaking, but desn’t written Japanese need that だ at the end? Or is that just for questions where you can’t rely on intonation?

I think the usual way of phrasing it is a bit misleading.

です isn’t so much the copula as it is a politeness marker that can replace the copula, it’s not just the polite version of だ.

い-adjectives have a copula “built in”. It’s not that you can leave off だ, it’s that だ is completely unnecessary and, because it would be a double copula, ungrammatical to add after an い-adjective.

です, on the other hand, is fine, because it does not function as the copula after an い-adjective, just as a politeness marker.

3 Likes

If we pair it down to simple rules while leaving exceptions and speaking habits by the wayside, you can end a sentence in three ways:

Verb
い-adjective
noun + copula

I’m not sure idea why you’re allowed to add です to an い-adjective to make it more polite, but are never allowed to follow an い-adjective with だ.

This stack exchange post goes into it:

Hopefully someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought I’d also heard about how in Japan, grammatical puritans dislike the fact that です can now be added to い-adjectives, since it’s technically grammatically incorrect. But that’s often how language evolves. Something “wrong” becomes common parlance and is then just accepted as correct.

3 Likes

I’d never thought of it that way. :thinking: Great way of explaining it!

1 Like

i’m definately new at this and i’ve only had a few grammar lessons, but i want to start early!
この本もあの本も私のです。

3 Likes

「別」の後で「の」も「な」もいいと思います。それとも良くないですか。 :thinking:
「別の」をよく聞いたり見たりします。「別な」を使う場合は意味が違うんですか。

I think both の and な after 別 are okay. Or not?
I often hear and see 別の. Is the meaning different when using 別な?

そうなんですか。奥さんと一緒に食べることが嬉しそうですね。:slight_smile:
しかし、2時間がかかる通勤はちょっと・・・羨ましくないんです。T.T
あなたの通勤もそのくらいかかりますか。
最近、僕はホームオフィスをしているけれど、会社に行くと時間がかかります。1時間ぐらいだと思います。

I see. It sounds nice to eat with one’s wife. :slight_smile:
However, a commute that takes 2 hours is a bit… I’m not jealous. T.T
Does your commute also take so much time?
Lately I’m doing home office, but when I go to the office, it takes time. Around 1 hour I think.

Little confession: I absolutely suck at using かかる, since I’ve seen it in exactly 2 example sentence in Genki :joy: .

そうですね。でもさ、先生やクラスメートなどと話しながら見詰めるかわりに床かかべを見て様々なあいづちを使えることがあるでしょうね。 :joy:

例えば、「えっと」か「あの」を使うことができます。
実は僕はよくあいづちと言います。

But you know, when talking to classmates or the teacher, instead of staring, one can look at the floor or the wall and use various aizuchi. :joy:
Truth is, I often say aizuchi.
(I meant it as a joke. I often can’t look teachers right in the face :joy: )

@Killua099 くん、「さよなら」のかわりに「また今度」と言いたい! :slight_smile:

改正:僕は宝が見られます。

僕は宝が見えられます。

I can see the treasure.

見える already means “to be visible” so it covers what is meant by “can see” in that sense. It doesn’t get made potential.

1 Like

Thanks! I didn’t realize it in that sense, thanks for clearing up the nuance. That does sound better and makes more sense, when I think out-loud with the meaning.

I see you changed it to 見られます. This now would likely be interpreted as “The treasure is seen”.

宝が見えます is fine for “I can see the treasure.”

1 Like

Hmm, I’m a little confused now. Could you elaborate on your first feedback, what do you mean by “it doesn’t get made potential”?

I changed it to 見られます as I interpreted it as “I as the subject” can see the treasure, why am I incorrect?

I guess we need to clarify what it is you are trying to say.

Are you trying to say “I have the ability to see the treasure”, in other words, I am free to be able to go there, I am allowed to go there, or perhaps the treasure is invisible to other people but I have some special ability to see it, etc… That’s when you would use 見る and then modify it to be potential.

If you just mean “can see” as in “The treasure is in the same room as me so I see it” and you don’t mean anything else, then 見える is fine as is. You had originally written 見えられる, which I have never seen used, since 見える itself expresses some level of potential meaning already.

The English sentence is ambiguous. But the second meaning is much more common, so I assumed it’s what you meant.

2 Likes

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me. So yes, I meant the latter meaning - attempting to convey “I can see the treasure”.

I guess my eureka moment here, is getting what you mean by the inherent potential essence of 見える. That was a little too abstract for me at first. Much appreciated! :pray:

Is using 見えられる grammatically incorrect? Or is it just odd/weird?

私の側で煙草を吸う人が嫌いだ。

I dislike people who smoke near me.

1 Like

今日なんか変な感じだ。昨夜7時間ぐらい寝てもなんとなくとっても疲れているんだ。

まあ、とにかく、日経という日本経済新聞を見つけて面白そうだ。今週末、日経の記事を読んでみると思う。

I feel weird today somehow. Even though I slept around 7 hours last night, I feel super tired for some reason.

Well, anyway, I found the Japanese economic newspaper called Nikkei and it looks interesting. I think I will try reading an article from Nikkei this weekend.

あっ、まったく(やれやれって)、リンクを忘れっちゃった。日経のサイトだ。

2 Likes

変…熱くなりません。どうして?

Weird…it doesn’t get hot. Why?

1 Like

僕も大体ホームオフィスしているけど、会社に行くときの通勤は市電で乗ったら、20分ぐらいだけです。「市電」は正しい単語かどうかよくわかりません。でも、ネットで市電のイメージを捜して、適切な言葉と思います。

I generally work from home as well, but when I go to the office, it’s only 20 minutes by tram. I’m not sure if 市電 is the right word. But if I look for images online, I think it’s the right word.

Saaaaame. And now you make me want to look into it more. It’s one of those things where I understand when I run into it, but I feel like I lack the proper understanding to use it myself.

大変そうですね。最近、起きるときの空はまだ真っ暗です。朝はまだ暗いなら、起きたくないんです!@FirstMate-san の住んでいる場所も日が減っていますか。夏の長い日を慕ってます~ :sob:

That sounds rough. Lately it’s still completely dark here when I wake up. When it’s still dark in the morning, I don’t want to get up! Are the days shortening where you live, FirstMate-san? I miss the long days of summer.

今日はすごく忙しいから、今から頑張って行ってきます。

Today is really busy, so I’m going to go and work hard.

そうなんですか。僕は会社に行ったらまず列車に乗って、その後、地下鉄に乗ります。「市電」というものは、路面電車と同じような気がします。さきほど少し調べておきてたくさんの写真を見つけました。:slight_smile:

列車と電車の違いも検索して列車は電気で走る電車の一つです。

Mmm I see. When I go to the office I first take the electric train and after that the underground. I feel 市電 is similar to 路面電車 (both mean “tram” or “streetcar”, theoretically :sweat_smile: ). I did a bit of research a short while ago and found a lot of photos. :slight_smile:

I also looked up the different between an electric train and a train and an electric train is a type of train that runs on electricity (this translation is so silly :joy: ).

この間とびらで「かかる」が入る例文を見たので正しく使ったと思います。:smiley:

Yesterday I saw a sentence with かかる in Tobira so I think I used it correctly. :smiley:

ははは、ええ、賛成なのです。:smiley:
僕が住んでいる場所ですか。えっと、毎朝7寺ぐらい起きて暗くないと思います。元気が出る朝焼けを見るのは嬉しいです。:smiley:

Hahaha, yes, I agree. :smiley:
The place where I’m living? Umm I wake up every morning around 7 and it’s not dark I think. It’s great to see that uplifting morning glow. :smiley:

いってらっしゃい、頑張り屋さん。 :slight_smile:

1 Like

日本語は難しいと楽しい、私は思いで
(I think I made a mistake so correction is appreciated!)

1 Like

When you combine i-adjectives together, the 〜て form of the preceding one is used:
難しくて楽しい - hard and fun
But, if you want to contrast, like “It’s difficult, but fun”, you can use the 〜ても form to express contrast:
難しくても楽しい - even though it’s difficult, it’s fun

思いで means “memory” (especially when written as 思い出), so if you want to say “I think” in plain/short form, that would be 思う, or if it’s an unfinished thought, then using the 〜て form: 思って

So the full sentence could look like this:
日本語が難しくても楽しいと、私は思う。

I added と because that’s a quoted expression in this case - “〜 is what I think”

EDIT: On second thought, が would probably be more suited there after 日本語, because it’s a clause.

2 Likes