Japanese Sentence a Day Challenge

試合を見る間によくインタネットが切れるものだ!

How could the internet go out while I’m trying to watch the game!

Meant this as one of my frequent “pick a grammar point out of the DJGs and use it with a little explanation” for ものだ but wound up with a question about it myself so I’ll skip the explanation and head over to the grammar thread.

1 Like

友達と新しい喫茶店に行きました。コーヒは美味しくてきれいでした!

3 Likes

僕はセンテンスをずっと前書いてない!

Grammar Point: より~の方

1. N1 + N2
    犬より猫の方が可愛いと思います。
    I think cats are cuter than dogs.

2. V1 + V2
    日本語を読むより、書く方が難しいです。
    Writing Japanese is more difficult than reading.

3. いadj 1 + いadj2
    食べ物について辛いより甘い方が美味しいです。
    Concerning food, sweet food is tastier than spicy food.

4)なadj 1 + なadj2
人間の中で失礼なより元気な方が話しやすいです。
Amoung humans, energetic individuals are easier to talk to than rude people.

1. Mixing nouns, adjectives, and verbs should be possible, right? E.g. いadj 1 + N
    短いより高い建物の方が怖いです。
    Tall builings are more frightening than short ones.
3 Likes

Let’s see how many grammar points I can shovel into this:

内の結婚記念日に主人は美しいケーキとか作ってあげたがったが、ネットで見つけたレシピーはメトリックので塩を入れ過ぎました。結局食べられませんでした。

(それは今日勉強した文法の例えだけで、主人は本当に食べ物を作るのことが出来ます。)

1 Like

Both Deepl and Google Translate translated it correctly, but it feels off. I think with adjectives you need to convert them into nouns with の. Wasabi has this example:
からほう あまいのよりき(だ / です)。

So your sentence would probably look like this:
高い建物の方が短いのより怖いです。
or like this:
短いのより高い建物の方が怖いです。

Adding の changes the meaning slightly, because instead of “short” you now have “the short one”.

One extra useful thing I have in my notes is that より and ほど are particles and 方 is a noun, so the joining rules apply accordingly.

1 Like

Thank you. This is still a bit confusing to me since in the Wasabi example we still have 1 noun then and 1 adjective, so I don’t see why my example wouldn’t work as well. I’d understand if the Wasabi example was 辛い食べ物より甘いの方が好きです。 Since we would have N + N then, but if it is left as 甘いの(N)より辛い(いadj)方が好きです seems the same to me as my 1 adjective + 1 noun example.

今朝 スティーヴン・キングの本についてのポッドキャストを聞きながらコーヒーを飲みました。

does anyone know a more casual version of “about”? According to this japanesepod101 youtube video, について is used in more formal situations (school lessons, presentations, news broadcasts, business emails). The speaker mentions there are casual versions, but the video doesn’t say what those are. And I’m having trouble finding it on other sites.

Honestly, I’m equally confused at this point :sweat_smile:. I think the difference between your sentence and the example is that the example sentence is more general and doesn’t mention a specific topic. Also, it still effectively compares nouns. So the bolded out の in 辛い食べ物より甘い方が好きです wouldn’t be correct.

I looked through some examples from Tae Kim’s guide and they always compare the same type (N vs N, adj vs adj, etc.).

In anime I very often hear 〜のこと as “matter of”. Not sure how formal it is, though.

2 Likes

Like @AndyMender said, in the Wasabi example sentence the writer is still comparing two nouns. What happens when you have yよりx(の)方 is that 方 (a noun) becomes the topic of the sentence, not whatever is preceding it, whether it’s a noun or adjective or whatever. So while I think your original sentence may be grammatically correct, it sounds unnatural because the literal translation would mean you are comparing the concept of shortness to tall buildings.

2 Likes

I think this would be correct because here 甘いの is like a shortening of 甘い食べ物 and therefore a noun

As in どの食べ物が好きですか?甘いの(the sweet food)/ 甘い食べ物が好きです

So then we would have N + N

辛い食べ物(N)より甘いの(N)方が好きです

If it was 1 N 1 adj you would have
辛い食べ物(N)より甘い(いadj)方が好きです since you don’t use の in 方が before い adjectives

Although I’m not sure if you double the の as in 辛い食べ物(N)より甘いの(N)の方が好きです Once for the nominalization and once for being before 方が…I feel like that would be too many のs

I guess to be less confused I can just stick to using N + N, V + V, or adj + adj

The の here is incorrect because it’s redundant. 方 is taking the place of の to stand in for 食べ物
You wrote it correctly in your first post.

This sentence isn’t actually comparing a noun and an adjective, you’re comparing two adjectives that describe the same noun (食べ物), it’s just one is implied by 方.

I think maybe you’re overthinking this a bit. If you really wanted to mix nouns/adjectives/verbs with this pattern it wouldn’t make much sense. If you just try and do it in English it’d be like saying something like: Rather than playing sports, I like blue.
It’s just not something you’d be using this grammar structure for.

1 Like

I don’t really get where in some cases it is redundant to have two nouns and therefore 1 noun + 1 adjective is allowed but in another case it isn’t allowed ( Since I’d argue writing 建物 twice is as redundant as writing spicy food and sweet food), but I’ll just stick to using N+ N since this is just going over my head. Thanks for trying to help though.

I think you have it, it’s just getting over complicated by trying to define all the different parts. You’re right that writing 食べ物 twice would be redundant, that’s why 方 is used at the end of this grammar pattern. It’s ALWAYS taking the place of whatever thing would be repeated otherwise.

So instead of saying 辛い食べ物より甘い食べ物が好き→
辛い食べ物より甘い方が好き

This also has the same meaning of: 辛い食べ物より甘いのが好き

As far as it being 1 Noun and 1 Adjective, it’s not because what you’re comparing are the two adjectives (spicy and sweet) describing 1 noun (food). So what you wrote is still an Adj+Adj sentence.

Sorry if I’m over explaining

2 Likes

日本語と会話するのが下手です。

第三課の文法:

6)名詞 として

1.大統領として、ドナルド・トランプはちょっと。。

2.大人として、正しいと間違いを知らなければいけない。でも、自分に合う哲学を探すことが複雑です。

3.コールセンターエージェントとして、仕事はとても地獄みたいでした。だから、辞職しました。

By the same logic isn’t (tall and short) also describing one noun ( 建物) 短いより高い建物の方が怖いです? To avoid confusion I can of course write 短い建物より高い建物の方が怖いです of course. Or is the only way this sentence is correct is to write it as 短い建物より高い方が怖いです?

I don’t know if any of this will make any sense, so if anyone wants to help me out, it’ll be appreciated XD
私の10月2020年の日本の旅行は10月20??年まで延期になりました。でも、今、園芸学を学びたい。冬休みに旅行は方がいい。
雪が嫌いじゃないが、大好きじゃない。1月に青森県へ旅行するはどうですか。

Yes, You’re correct that tall and short are both describing the same noun here.

I think is the best way to write this sentence but if you wanted 建物 to follow 高い you could have either:

短いのより、高い建物の方が怖いです
or drop the の方:
短いのより、高い建物が怖いです。

Either way you need the の after 短い to clarify that it’s also applying to buildings and not just an unrelated adjective.

1 Like

This has been going on for a while… But the opposite of 高い建物 is 低い建物, not 短い建物.

短い means “short length” not “short height.”

5 Likes