Japanese Sentence a Day Challenge

よし、そうしようね!(^_^)

そっか!

そうか。1984の著者が好きなため、1984を読んでみたことごあるけど、気持ちが悪かったから、読み上げられなかった :frowning: . Brave New Worldを知っているが、読んだことはない。 でも、哲学と経済について本か。マジ?すぎい・・・:smiley:

面白そうね!平安時代中期を知っていないけど、高校生の頃、戦国時代について色々なマンガを読んだことがある。例えば、「バガボンド」だよ。実は、今、時間がないため、毎晩にとびらを読むとか、ワニカニやアンキのレビューをするとかしている。その他には、何もできない・・・ :sweat_smile:

いや、違う。時折、江戸川乱歩先生が書いた「怪人二十面相」という推理小説を読むことにしている。面白くて、やさしいけど、平仮名が多すぎるなあ〜。やっぱり、子供の本だから。

えっと、冷房機の代わりに「エアコン」が使えるかも。あっ、でも、エアコンと冷房機が違うね。たった今グーグルで探して気付いた。 :sweat_smile:
「だけ」を捨ててもいいと思う。必要はない。「のおかげで」が足りているかもしれない。:slight_smile:

さすがにできた、DeepLさん :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

今週の数日を抜かしたから今夜文を書くようにしています。

1 Like

土曜日の夜はたいてい ゲームセンターに行きます

1 Like

I’ve probably made a few more errors than last time, but here’s sentence 2: The Revenge

求める旅するへ宇宙その内。

In case this is complete nonsense, here’s what I was aiming for: I want to travel to space someday.

1 Like

Thank you for explaining. I haven’t really started making sentences myself yet. I wish more people here would help out. Including their sentence translated would be great for newbies like me.

2 Likes

Other issues aside, the word order for that sentence is not quite right. I suppose if I were to translate what that says it’d say something like “Towards taking a trip I want the cosmos that inside”…

I’m gonna completely ignore the choice of words for this explanation, I’ll get to that later, but it’ll just confuse the grammar explanation if I bundle those I feel.

I guess my main advice would be to look up an article on Japanese word order (like this one), but generally:

The basic structure is SOV - Subject, Object, Verb. So you want to put the main verb (求める) at the end of the sentence.

The object is a clause - “taking a trip to space”. Particles (like へ) act on what comes before them, so when you want to indicate “to space” you’d say 宇宙へ, not へ宇宙 like you’d do in English.

Clauses are basically miniature sentences, so once again the verb (旅する) comes at the end, giving you 宇宙へ旅する as the full clause.

Because that ends in a verb you once again have to nominalise it, so it can become the object. You do that with の or こと (they’re equivalent for this purpose - there’s some nuance to when to use which but I won’t bother you with that for now, I’ll just use こと)

That gives you 宇宙へ旅すること as the full object of this sentence. Because it’s the object it takes the particle を after it (to indicate it as the object for 求める). That gives you 宇宙へ旅することを求める as a grammatically correct sentence. I’m not sure what その内 does in your original sentence, so I left it out here.

Now, on the choice of words:

求める is more about requesting something than about wanting to do something. For wanting to do something you can use the 〜たい conjugation, in this case 旅したい, to indicate you want to travel.

I’m not entirely sure 宇宙 is the right word for “space” in this sentence either, but I think it works, so let’s just keep it. Maybe someone else can weigh in on that, I’m kinda curious myself now.

So with that in mind, dropping 求める in favour of 旅したい you get 宇宙へ旅したい. You’ll notice the sentence has also been simplified a fair bit, since there’s no more need to nominalise a clause and use it as an object. In fact this sentence has no object, and the subject is implied to be 私 (or whatever is apparent from context) leaving us with only a verb clause. Japanese is funny that way, you can leave a lot of a sentence out if it’s already clear without mentioning.

I hope that’s clear! As before, if there’s a part you want to know more about feel free to ask :slight_smile:

I tend to not include translations for my sentences but I’ll consider doing so, I think you’re not the first to mention that.

And I do try to help here from time to time, in no small part because explaining things helps me learn too - I’ll have to look up some information to form a clear explanation, occasionally coming across new stuff, and thinking about it differently helps it stick in my head too. I know there are others who do (and I’m by far not the most knowledgeable of the bunch, mind you) - but it’s all dependent on people being available and having the time and energy to do so, so there can be a lull in people helping.

Overall this is a very helpful community, and if there are specific questions you have you can go to the grammar questions thread or the non-grammar-but-otherwise-language questions thread. It’s not always clear where a question belongs, but when in doubt just pick one and you’ll get help either way, it’s not as if someone’s gonna bite your face off for posting something touching on grammar in the language questions thread :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Also small bit of advice for you and other newbies: don’t be fooled by WK level. WK allows resets, and some of the most knowledgeable folks on here have some of the lowest levels :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: (I’m definitely not one of them, just to reiterate that)

4 Likes

説明をありがとう。 :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

見ての通りニューラルネットワークは時々全くおかしい答えを作ります。:confused:

今日の文:

警察の訓練場のある島は立ち入り禁止です。

The entry to the island with police training grounds on it is forbidden.

交差点を渡る前にちゃんと左右に確認しなさい。
Make sure you properly check both sides of the intersection before crossing.

1 Like

第十章の文法:

7)名詞1でも名詞2でも

1.コンピュータでも、冷蔵庫でも、 ビデオカメラでも、たくさんインタネットをする機械があります。

2.彼女は英語でも、 スペイン語でも、多くの言語を話せるし理解します。

3.彼にとって、鉛筆でも靴でも、何も物は武器です。

私一晩中起きてたから目の調子が悪くなったほどゲームをやりすぎたんだ。 :mask:

1 Like

日本文法が学び難いと言ってもいいけど、僕は学びやすいと思う。単に表現と慣用句を頼る。

1 Like

Here are my baby Japanese sentences for today.

あそこが猫だ。猫が茶色い。木を上る。

3 Likes

I did some dictionary searching and all I found were only variants of 宇宙, most of them more nuanced so I think this one fits :slight_smile: . Amazing explanation by the way!!!

例えば、リーボさまとジョナさま :wink:

For example, the honorable Leebo and Jona :wink:

了解です!この先から英訳を組み込みます。

OK! From now on I will include an English translation.

いやいや、手伝ってあげて嬉しかったよ :slight_smile:

No worries, very happy to have helped :slight_smile:

この間、東日本(特に関東地方)と西日本では、水害の特別警報を発表しました。ヨーロッパでも水害や雷雨が少々あります。それでは、皆さん、お命を守って気を付けてください。:slight_smile: :muscle:

Recently, in eastern Japan (especially the Kantou region) and western Japan, special flood warnings have been issued. There are also floods and thunderstorms in Europe. Therefore, everyone, please protect your lives and be careful. :slight_smile: :muscle:

2 Likes

第十章の文法:

8)したがって

1.新しいコロナウイルスを釣った人は増えている。したがって、日本のオリンピック聖火リレーは遅れました。

2.占い師は未来を当てることには間違いました。したがって、占い師を信じらない。

3.中国の政府はたくさん人権違反を行いました。したがって彼は中国製物を買わなくて決めました。

Thanks for all the help! I’ve definitely got a long way to go.

I think I get the structure for simple sentences; for my next trick, I’ll try leaving off the subject:

ビニール盤の採集を面白がる。

Intent: I enjoy collecting vinyl records.

My vocabulary’s still somewhat limited, so I’m pulling a number of these words from online dictionaries for now.

2 Likes

I think you got it there!

面白がる confuses me a bit though (not because of you, mind you), because every dictionary I check lists it as an intransitive verb (meaning it doesn’t take an object) but every example sentence gives it an object… So I’m just gonna say that sentence is probably grammatically correct :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I don’t know if it’s particularly natural though. I feel like 面白がる is more leaning towards finding something funny or amusing, like a joke or a story, or going off the meaning of 面白い (the associated adjective) it might also mean you have an interest in something, as in the idea of something interests you. So maybe this would indicate something more like you haven’t started a vinyl collection yet, but you find the idea appealing.

Maybe 楽しむ would be a better fit here, indicating it’s something you consider fun to do. And I might be inclined to use an adjective (ビニール盤の採集は楽しい) instead of a verb, but I’m not sure what a native would think and/or what the difference in nuance would be. Maybe the adjective makes it more of a general statement (it’s fun) rather than a personal thing (it’s something I enjoy doing)? In which case a verb might fit your intention more.

ところで、どんなビニール盤を採集するの?

By the way, what kind of vinyl records do you collect?

3 Likes

You make a good point about using an adjective as opposed to a verb; there’s probably some nuance between the two.

主に、クラシックロック採集する。じゃっかんジャズも。

Mostly, I collect Classic Rock. Some Jazz too.

3 Likes

色々な興味が多いので一つの趣味に捧げるのは不能だ。

I have so many interests so it’s impossible to focus on one hobby.

3 Likes

大学に行ったけど面白くなかった

I went to college, but it wasn’t interesting

2 Likes

There are some intransitive verbs that can take objects, but they remain intransitive, because still the person carrying out the action is also the target of the action (in a way). For instance:
家を出て、駅へ行った。
I left the house and went to the station.
授業に急ぎ足で出た。
I left for the class at a quick pace.

Theoretically, neither the station, nor the class were the target of “leaving”.

休む can also take an object when it points to taking a break from something specific. But to me both 出る and 休む feel a little special in this respect :frowning: .

The way I understand 面白がる is that it means “to amuse oneself” using something as the source (?) of amusement.

ビニール盤の採集を面白がる。
can be put differently as:
レコードを集めるのが楽しい。
Collecting records is fun (to me).
or
レコードを集めるのを楽しんでいる。
I enjoy collecting records.

1 Like