Japanese Phone Keyboards?

Hello all! I wish to install a Japanese keyboard on my phone so I can become acquainted with using it over the course of my learning the language. But the keyboard suggested by Tofugu in an old article currently has a very low rating on google play and seems to have lost some features that it once had due to outside software advancement.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a standard Japanese keyboard (the same as the one they use in Japan) that can freely switch between Japanese and English? The one recommended by Tofugu can switch to a default English keyboard, but then it removes itself from the phoneā€™s default settings and doesnā€™t let you switch back while typing Ļƒ(ļæ£ć€ļæ£ć€ƒ)

Thank you for any replies

1 Like

Use the standard Japanese keyboard and switch to Romaji-dedicated layout. You can change it from Settings - Language & input - Google Japanese Input - Keyboard layout .

You should then have an icon in the bottom right to switch between keyboards. The standard system one has gotten a lot better.

1 Like

Swiftkey is nice. You can have both English and Japanese and switch between them pretty much instantaneously. I also like Simeji but the English keyboard doesnā€™t have autocorrect so I never really use it unless Iā€™m only typing in Japanese.

2 Likes

I just figured this out on my Samsung and I love it! Super convenient. Just swipe left on my spacebar and bam Japanese. You can add multiple languages as well :smiley:

Gboard is fine.

1 Like

I use Gboard, but my Japanese friendā€™s say that Simeji has better predictive kanji skills.

1 Like

Swiftkey is exactly what I was looking for and more; what an absolute godsend. TYVM, and the same to everyone else who posted suggestions.

1 Like

Not to mention all the kao-mojisā€¦ ( Ķ”Ā° ĶœŹ– Ķ”Ā°)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.