Japanese listening/watching content recommendations?

I felt blessed when I discovered how to setup Netflix to it’s Japanese server so I can watch almost any show they have in Jap with Jan subtitles or English subtitles if I feel it’s too hard for me level.

The other day I was watching Ted in japanese and it was a lot of fun.

1 Like

How can I setup my netflix to a japanese server? This would really interest me

1 Like

When you create a new profile you can select your main language. Then you just choose Japanese as your main language.

It’s interesting that the same shows only give you certain language and subtitle options depending on your main language, that’s my experience atleast.

I never had the Japanese Language option (Besides for anime) until I created the new profile.

2 Likes

Nice, I will give it a try.

Terrace House Hawaii on Netflix is good. Even if you don’t really like reality shows, there’s quite a bit of normal dialogue there and it’s fairly interesting.

Also, if you have a Nintendo Switch, Octopath Traveler is great. You can set the audio to Japanese and try to understand the spoken part before reading the text. Even with my limited knowledge, I could tell where the English text was embellished over the spoken Japanese. The best part is the dialogue doesn’t advance until you press A, so you can mull over the spoken part a bit and go at a slow pace.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s not strictly about cooking, but I really enjoyed listening to these stories. Pity the subtitles are in English, and not Japanese, but it’s still pretty chill to just listen.

5 Likes

If you like reading, I would recommend visual novels. It’s a good way to expose yourself to lots of Japanese text, but at a pace that suits you - 99% of the time the story doesn’t progress until you click something, for example.

There are millions on steam (just search “visual novel steam” or something), so have a look at the ones that have Japanese ticked for Interface and subtitles.

Some popular ones on steam;

• Steins; Gate
  • VA-11 HALL-A
  • Tokyo Dark
3 Likes

Ooh! Even if there isn’t much talking, I’m intrigued by the recipes and the videos are great quality. Thank you!

I don’t have a Switch yet but I’ve been saving up for one. Hopefully I can get one before the next Animal Crossing comes out haha Thank you for the recommendation!

This is right up my alley. I like listening to stories. I might have some trouble following because not all of the voices are clear, but I think that poses an extra challenge for me to really tune my ears into it. Thanks!

Thank you for the recommendations. I played CLANNAD several years ago and enjoyed it. These are all new titles I haven’t heard of. I will check them out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not exactly what you asked for, but podcasts are a great place to get extra exposure too.
I particularly like バイリンガルニュース (I hate the news and I love this show, highly recommend), ひいきびいき, and Still Rendering. There are many other great ones too of course.

2 Likes

I need to do some more work on this thread, but…

2 Likes

On the topic of podcasts, George-sensei from Japanese from Zero recommended this podcast on his channel and I’ve been listening to it ever since. It’s called “恋愛・婚活の専門家JURIの『野獣でも美女を捕まえる』テクニック 女性の本音教えます” (Japanese people seem to love long titles). It’s basically a love advice podcast where listeners send emails to the host and she reads them out and gives advice. She speaks very clearly and at a decent speed, so I find her pronunciation easy to understand, and while the advice she gives may not apply to me, it’s an interesting insight into Japan’s dating scene (if that’s the right way of putting it).

3 Likes

I found this channel just the other day!

岡奈 ななこ 日常 short movie ー She makes very simples everyday recipes but I’ve found that the vocabulary and grammar is easier than most channels. Some videos have english subtitles.

きまぐれクック ー Kaneko specialty is seafood, and he will treat the fish and do all kinds of recipes. He a little harder to follow but there is a lot of visual cues on the videos specially in the step by step preparation.

I hope this helps!

3 Likes

Thank you. Its looks interesting

日本語のSBS is the Japanese broadcast from SBS Australia. It is about ten minutes a day of random news bits in podcast form. Usually get four news, one music interview, one book review, and one sports topic each week.

1 Like

Have you heard of this? http://languagelearningwithnetflix.com

I’ve played around with it and think its great! The Japanese dictionary isn’t implemented yet, but it’s still nice. You can have it skip between sentences by just pressing left and right, have it stop on them so you can analyze the Japanese and hear it over and over again. They also provide both robot and human translations in your native language, which is good for comparing your translation to.

https://www.viki.com/countries/japan also has some Japanese shows, but I don’t know if there are Japanese subtitles.

2 Likes

Not pure cooking but there’s quite some cooking involved in “midnight diner” ((深夜食堂) :slight_smile:

Great series otherwise (cinematography, acting, story etc)

1 Like

I really like this YouTube channel for cooking https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCuNkY3QqNi22qjpJw8u3VBQ

She makes bento videos and sometimes teishoku videos; also her cat is incredibly cute.

Not a lot of talking, which is perfect for me since I’m a beginner xD

Edit: also seconding the recommendation for Midnight Diner, it’s great. The manga is even better, I’m looking forward to when my Japanese is good enough that I can read more of it!

I’ve been following はるあん recently and enjoy her videos. She talks a lot, which is helpful for japanese learners and bakes a lot, which is my favorite type of cooking!

1 Like

Oh! Thanks so much, I will be checking this out!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.