Japanese Joke: 正しい

Hope this is the right thread, there are so many!

I’ve had the absolute worst time remembering the reading for ただしい. Over and over again I’d get it wrong, even when I thought I had the mnemonic down. “Tada!!!” says the clown while jazz handing, “That’s correct!” LOL it just would not stick :woman_shrugging:

I was complaining talking to my Japanese friend about it and they told me a joke. I’ve gotten the reading right every time since! I don’t know if anyone else has had this problem but I thought I’d share :slightly_smiling_face:. It’s humorous at the very least lol

11 Likes

Hehe that’s pretty good. I used the name of the big brother from Big Hero 6 as my way of remembering.

6 Likes

According to my teacher, his father-in-law would say he was always right, because his name was 正男まさお(ただしいおとこ)

16 Likes

Oh yeah, that’s a good one! He’s a smart/straight laced kinda guy haha rip Tadashi

3 Likes

Okay so I had to look up the meaning for that name and you’re right (see what I did there?), that is funny! Haha

3 Likes

Honestly this is basically a dad joke :joy:

5 Likes

Indeed! More precisely it’s 駄洒落(だじゃれ)

Tofugu has a great article about it:

My favorite so far is the name of the personal trainer in manga “How heavy are the dumbbells you lift?”. He’s called 街雄(まちお)鳴造 (なるぞう)which is a pun on
マッチョに成るぞ!(“Become a buff dude!”).

7 Likes

I’m looking forward to one day catching on to those types of puns!! It’s interesting, since for puns to work they may actually rely on a deeper understanding of language than a typical x = y joke (potential ‘lameness’ aside haha)

Like, @Saida’s 正男まさお(ただしいおとこ) comment about the father in law being Right Man, or Mr. Right basically. I thought it was amusing when I looked up the name, and got the gist, but didn’t really get the おとこ bit. Then I realized the お - in his name is from the man kanji and I was like, ohhhh “なるほど!” :bulb::joy:

2 Likes

As far as puns are concerned, that article linked to an article about number puns. Apparently 420 would be 失恋

Read about it:

3 Likes

Fun fact: the height of the Tokyo Skytree was chosen for its goroawase - 634 metres, read as むさし, which is the name of the old province that encompassed Tokyo, most of Saitama, and parts of Kanagawa.

3 Likes

Yep. I remember that when we were in 日本国

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.