Japanese Gaming Thread

Sorry now I almost feel like I’m spaming, but here’s another game I had on my wishlist that got on sale, 65%: Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen
This one is an RPG (edit: no it’s a a Visual Novel too, sorry)
It will be a while before I try it myself so I can’t post a review, but seems like people who have talked about playing it here on the forums liked it!

5 Likes

I played the “successors”. They are not really RPGs, they are Visual Novels with a bit of gameplay. All the complaints about Digimon Survive and Triangle Strategy apply here.

Playing this in Japanese will be a tremoundous task, I was very exhausted even in English.

4 Likes

YouTube recommended me this video and I thought it should be posted here

Haven’t watched it yet, but still, someome might find it useful

7 Likes

Huge thanks for recomendation!
I’m currently playing it and find it nothing short of perfect!

And it has the dialog log too, so you could read the previous dialogues!

Another great thing about it is that it works in window mode which is great for looking up words on jisho.org!

3 Likes

Glad you’re enjoying it! How do you find the difficulty level? Back when I posted that, I was still a pretty low level so seeing it now, I think my guess of N4 was probably way off the mark.

3 Likes

Off the mark in what direction? I mean, if you were to rate it now, would you say it’s closer to N3 or to N5?
Personally, I think your initial rating was not wrong; in any case, the game is very easy to read, partly because the main character is a child and uses more simple language, but also because the text is given in small portions and because the game works in window mode so it’s easy to look things up.

Still, I’ve learnt quite a lot of words and quite a few kanji too. Also, it doesn’t have furigana, so I’d say it is at least N4.

4 Likes

Oh, I see, well I haven’t played it since then, so I can’t really give a rating, but I was thinking it might’ve been harder than my initial rating. Well you’re the one who played it most recently and at a better level, so I’ll trust that N4 was pretty accurate then. Especially since you mention the simpler language.

2 Likes

This is actually exactly what I’ve been looking for recently. Extremely helpful video!

2 Likes

:eyes:

Just got it for free since PayPal sent me a coupon for the exact price. :innocent:

7 Likes

Has anybody here tried to play the Live-A-Live game in Japanese? Game Gengo complained that it’s supposedly really hard at times, but that seemed to mainly apply to the Edo Japan and Ancient China chapters (obviously). I assume the other chapters are easier? I don’t know if I want to get into that in Japanese now or just … enjoy the game :wink:

2 Likes

If I wanted I could play all video games in japanese. Playing games in japanese is not that hard but I am too lazy to actually do that. Of course I have some video games which are japanese only therefore I will have to play them in japanese. Should I see a video game I want to play and it’s japanese only I will buy it. In the future I plan to play two third of video games in japanese the rest in english. Visual novels I only buy in japanese now. I will finish the ones I have in english but I won’t buy translated visual novels any more.

No I don’t see playing video games as a study tool most video games are too easy for that. The average difficulty of a video games is around N3 level. Visual novels I think are pretty awesome for learning japanese and you can use them for sentence mining. The difficulty is similar to books some are even harder than an average book.

3 Likes

Hi

I was chating with someone and I told them I’d share their work. They add English captions on videos of Japanese people playing Minecraft. Is that something you find interesting ?

by the way, if you know anyone in your communities that like Japanese gaming commentary videos with English subtitles, I have a couple WIP playlists here: https://www.captionfy.com/user/flashofaurora. what might be cool about the AkagaMinecraft series is that the members are scattered in different regions across the country, so their dialects are slightly different. sometimes they also put the spoken text on the screen. if you want to familiarize yourself with the Kansai (likely Osaka) dialect, the Waiwai series are great for that

2 Likes

Playing Nier Automata on my Switch. :sob: dreams really can come true!

12 Likes
It looks great! I'm adding it to my list!!

(in my study log on the first post, I write and keep updated the list of games and visual novels that I want to play, based on recommandations from the forums and other videos. I put them in my wishlist on Steam and grab them when they’re on sale. So far the plan is to wait to be around level 25 and to be done with Genki 1 and 2 to start them, right now I have enough things to learn when I want to practice japanese and it will make the experience only nicer to know more vocab and grammar, but definitely I’m very much looking forward to it and it’s keeping me highly motivated!

3 Likes

I think Nier made me realize I don’t actually like video games xD

I don’t mind dying, but I don’t like games where I die and need to go back to where I died, ala Wow and Dark Souls. The reason I don’t mind in Dark Souls is because if I am actually good at the game I don’t really need to care about my body and I am going where I need to go regardless. Nier however is one of those games where if I am in the wrong spot and die, it’s a fucked situation. I’m gonna go back to Danganronpa and chill out, but I don’t like feeling like this >.<

6 Likes

I’ve also lately started to think maybe I just don’t care for that kind of games anymore. If a game doesn’t respect your time, I’ll just grab a book instead and chill. On the other hand I beat Celeste last year, and it was tons of fun while having challenge. The byte-sized challenge doesn’t feel like too much even if you need to restart the screen.

Nowadays I’m just too aware of that wasted time getting back to where I was. Instead of doing something else.

7 Likes

Yeah it’s funny how the stance on video games changes… Like as a teenager I had nothing to do, so much time, I loved playing the Sims and micro managing them and making them work their ass off to make money, but recently as an adult when I tried playing again (thought it could be nice for vocab actually to use it in the target language) I found it horrible and couldn’t stand it, “oh my god I don’t want to have to think of all those things in a game, I already have to think about them in real life!!!”

7 Likes

That’s sad. You’re talking about Nier Automata, right?

Anyway on the subject of Nier, I booted up Replicant yesterday. It actually has the option to display Japanese text. On Ps4. That’s sure rare.

I’m not playing it in Japanese, though. Not even Japanese audio (I’m sorry, I need Laura Bailey :P)

2 Likes

Yes. Square Enix (with the exception of Dragon Quest) usually allows players to switch languages or if the system language is set to something else the game will change. I got FFVII Remake in Japan and when I booted it up it was all in English, then set the system language to Japanese and proceeded to live my best life.

3 Likes

If you’re referring to the PS4 version, system language only worked because you had the JP edition. For every other region, the Japanese text option can only be enabled by modding the game. (This may not apply to PS5 ‘intergrade’ version).

SE games are hit or miss. In addition to DQ and Remake, FF9/10/12 also require the JP version iirc. Though FF7/8/14/15(?) are some examples that don’t.

1 Like