Japanese Gaming Thread

I also booted up the demo, but I was massively disappointed, that there is no voice acting at all, so I dropped it immediately.

I was looking for a voiced game, because I only played Pokémon in Japanese lately, which is just reading.

2 Likes

Yes unfortunately it seems there’s no voice acting outside of battle cries

Not a dealbreaker for me, but worth noting for anyone looking for that

1 Like

The first chapter is free on Steam :smiley: so I’m definitely going to try it!
I also wrote down the other ones, thanks!!

3 Likes

60% discount on Steam for two Japanese Visual Novels today :smiley:
Danganronpa and STEINS;GATE

4 Likes

This might be kinda against the rules of the thread, but I’d like to ask.
I need to choose something as a gift for christmas, and I was thinking of a portable console to play JP games so as to improve my skill.
But the thing is - I don’t know what to get!
I have Game Boys and DSs but they are all in poor shape.
Which console would you recommend? (3ds is too expensive, so lower than that).

Neo Geo Pocket is out of the question. The screen is garbo. But I heard the Wonderswan had a revision with a great screen

2 Likes

A second hand Switch?

2 Likes

That’,s way too expensive

1 Like

Make it 70% with the bundle.

2 Likes

What’s your stance on Japanese Gaming in general? Have you switched completely to Japanese? Or do you consider it a study tool.

I feel so bad, when I play games in English (or German, doesn’t matter), but it’s also so much more fun. It sucks the fun out of gaming if every textbox takes forever. For example in JRPGs it’s already so exhausting reading every story textbox that I absolutely can’t talk to the NPCs as well. That makes me miss tons of flavor text, though.

5 Likes

Choosing to play games in English when a Japanese version is available is actively sabotaging your immersion

Which might not be as bad as you think. It’s the same as playing video games even tho you should be studying for school exams. Who doesn’t

is your pfp stocking

2 Likes

True, but the Japanese version can sabotage my enjoyment of the game :smiley:
I’m aiming for a balance here, playing for fun and playing for study purposes. I at least forbade myself English voice acting when Japanese is availabe (though I LOOOVE Laura Bailey :wink: ).

No, it’s Feli from Puyo Puyo :smiley:

5 Likes

For me, using it as the carrot on the stick to motivate me to keep studying :smiley:
I will not play any games until I feel that my reading is good, because as you say it not super enjoyable. Which means for me that right now I’m using my free time on learning more kanjis and more grammar. When I will have an easy time parsing sentences and that it will only be a matter of looking up new words, then I’ll start on the games!

1 Like

In this case, I highly recommend playing a game twice – first in your native language / English and then in Japanese. I’m currently doing it with Borderlands 2 – I used to play it a lot back in the day, so I’m quite familiar with it. So familiar that even having it all in Japanese doesn’t make me uncomfortable.

GAME: Borderlands 2
PLATFORM: Steam
PRICE: Different in different regions, but shouldn’t be too high considering that the game is quite old
GENRE: FPS / RPG
LEVEL: Hard to say, but probably medium
REVIEW: A fun game with an interesting setting and lots of small texts (quests, skill and item descriptions, etc.). It’s fully voiced and with subtitles too (although the latter gets a bit undone by the fact that you can’t view subtitles during pause).

6 Likes

Dragon quest 10 offline release date let’s goooo

5 Likes

Well it’s out today, at least in Japanese. You can get it on the eshop. Shill out 8500 Yen, let’s gooo.

2 Likes

I paid it, it’s a normal price for a game :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I only buy full price digital if I’m REALLY into a game. You probably love DQ that much, for me it’s just okay.

2 Likes

You right you right. This year was good for people like me into the old jrpg style, i picked up and played live a live this summer too

2 Likes

I got an update it’s shipped, so I’ll be able dive into it next week as well.

2 Likes

For me it’s a study tool - I don’t play every game in Japanese because right now it would take me forever to get through a game if I was playing it in Japanese. If I think I can handle a game in JP and don’t mind maybe not finishing it or it taking a very long time then I will play in JP. With the Yakuza (or Like A Dragon as they’re being called now) games I’ve kind of taken a hybrid approach of trying to listen to the JP voice lines while not looking at subs, and then if I don’t understand them I check the subtitles. It’s not a perfect solution, but it lets me continue to play the games fairly comfortably while still presenting a way to test my listening skills

1 Like