January 31 2020 Content Updates

Dumb question - blacklist? Whitelist? Does this just mean adding/removing default acceptable answers?

1 Like

Blockquote 体験 - added “experiment” to the blacklist

I’m glad this isn’t just me then.

1 Like

Correct. White list means the answer will be accepted, while not listed in meanings. Blacklist means the answer will be marked wrong, while default behavior would accept minor misspelling, example “shape” will not longer work as correct answer for “sharpen”.

See this hilarious thread:

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I totally do it for all the Japanese words that I know that have clunky translations.

2 Likes

Silently resurrects this review item

8 Likes

@TofuguJenny Welcome to the forums!

2 Likes

Thank you!

5 Likes

Suggest [小声] accept ‘small voice’ alongside the usual dictionary ones (low voice, whisper), since [大声] accepts ‘large voice’.

Also [何千] to accept ‘how many thousands’ or at least ‘many thousands’, as it accepts only ‘thousands’, which doesn’t logically match with [何百]'s ‘how many hundreds’, [何回]'s ‘how many times’, [何人]'s ‘how many people’, or [何日]'s ‘how many days’ or ‘what day’. Currently we have ‘nicolas cage’ as an answer for [国宝], so a more literal definition for the above may serve the user’s understanding more during review. よろしくお願いします :pray:

That would be wrong as that’s not the meaning of the word. You are also wrong about the meaning of 何百 as that also does not mean ‘how many hundreds’. It simply means ‘hundreds’ or ‘hundreds of’.

Lastly, as one example, 何人 does not always many ‘how many people’ it can also be used to say something like ‘a number of people’ such as in this sentence:

囚人が何人か逃げた。

Or it can be used with a number as a rough amount such as in:

20何人

Neither one are questions. Although the second could be used as an answer for the question form.

3 Likes

So if I said in Japanese, ‘I have hundreds here’. And you wanted to inquire ‘how many hundreds’, you wouldn’t use ’ 何百ですか?’

Your profile picture is so cute!!!

We are not removing that ever… or a bunch of us are quitting WK

While I am among those who do this, I feel that it should be a conscious decision; it should be because you feel you have internalized the word to such a degree that leaving it as is seems more natural than describing it.

Dear kutsushokunin,

We are sorry to see you leave WaniKani. Pursuant to your request, we are refunding the remainder of your lifetime account, to an amount of 0.49 USD.

Sincerely,
Koichi

“49 cents? But that would mean…”

2 Likes

No. They way that reads to me is you asking something like “There are hundreds?”

Thanks! It’s the work of Aya, our illustrator :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:wave: Just FYI, the Content Updates is where we post what’s already been changed, but if you have other suggestions or find typos, etc, you can post on the Feedback category (tag @arlo myself or @RachelG ) or email us! (This is based on our ‘About Content Updates Category’ page). We don’t want to miss anything important if these content update threads gets long.

8 Likes

Her style is super cute! I’ve been following her on twitter and would recommend :blush:

3 Likes

Understood, thanks @JenK! :+1:

1 Like

Kana-only vocab update please! Tell us what is going on!

This would probably make more sense in a newer thread than a random content update from 2020…

1 Like