January 14 2022 Content Updates

Radicals

(21) - added “corner” and “horn” to allow list.

Kanji

(19) - added “riches” and “fortune” to allow list.

(12) - added “exert” and “effort” to allow list.

(12) - added “merchant” and “trade” to allow list.

(22) - add “area” and “border” to allow list.

(1) - added to visually similar kanji.

(21) - added たくら as kun’yomi.

(27) - added “extremely” to allow list, and updated reading mnemonic and hint.

(4) - updated radical ordering, meaning mnemonic, and meaning hint.

(31) - added かがみ as kun’yomi.

Vocabulary

近づく (8) - added “to get near” to allow list.

(5) - added “younger bro” and “little bro” to allow list.

素材 (21) - added “material” and “ingredient” as alternative meanings, added “raw materials”, “materials”, and “ingredients” to allow list, and added one context sentence.

総合 (21) - added “general” to allow list.

公設 (21) - added “municipal” and “publicly run” to allow list, and added two context sentences.

直行 (6) - added “indirect” to block list.

和尚 (54) - added わじょう and かしょう to reading warning list.

沙羅 (59) - added “sal” and “sal tree” to meaning warning list.

替わる (26) - added “to be exchanged” and “to exchange” to allow list.

大きさ (1) - updated meaning explanation and added “bigness” to allow list. (Note: we know “bigness” isn’t actually a word, but we’re technically checking Japanese here, not English. :wink:)

旨い (43) - added “tasty”, “good”, “expert”, and “nice” to allow list.

直航 (29) - added “direct flight” and “nonstop voyage” to allow list, update meaning explanation, and added two context sentences.

絶える (30) - added “to be cut off” as alternative meaning, added “to become extinct”, “to go extinct” and “to come to an end” to allow list, updated one context sentence, and added two context sentences.

詰まる (30) - added “to be stuck” as alternative meaning, and added “to be full”, “to be filled”, “to be packed”, “to be clogged” and “to get stuck” to allow list.

一斤 (7) - added “loaf of bread” to allow list.

総理 (21) - added “PM” and “premier” to allow list, updated meaning explanation, replaced one context sentence, and added two context sentences.

総理大臣 (31) - added “PM” and “premier” to allow list, updated meaning and reading explanations, and added two context sentences.

〜台 (3) - added “big machine counter” as primary meaning, moved “big machine”, “big device”, “machine”, and “device” to allow list, and added “counter for big machines”, “number of big machines”, “counter for vehicles”, “number of vehicles” and “vehicle counter” to allow list.

Transitive Verb Updates

注文する (13) - added “to order something” and “to request something” to allow list.

追いかける (13) - moved “to stalk” to allow list, added “to stalk something”, “to stalk someone”, “to pursue something”, “to pursue someone”, “to run after someone”, “to run after something”, “to follow someone”, and “to follow something” to allow list.

共有する (13) - added “to share something”, “to jointly own something”, “to co-own something”, and “to joint own something” to allow list.

恐れる (31) - added “to fear something”, “to dread something”, “to be afraid of”, and “to be afraid of something” to allow list, and added a context sentence.

28 Likes

Thank you, Jenny!

1 Like

Good idea with the mnemonic fix, matches https://www.wanikani.com/kanji/曲 better now!

Thank you!

2 Likes

Thank you, Jenny! :grin:

1 Like

Yeah. It’s “bigly”.

5 Likes

I thought someone revived a 2 year old thread…

3 Likes

This year is 2020, too. :wink:

It helps if you say it out loud…

2 Likes

@Mods Should 照らす have “to be illuminated” block listed? it’s listed as a transitive verb but not intransitive

Would “underground mall” be fine for 地下街? I don’t think there are many applications of underground mall with the same meaning as DC’s National Mall, so there doesn’t need to be the distinction, surely??

Hey @DIO-Berry! We’re looking into this.

(By the way, I finished the Stardust Crusaders arc!)

2 Likes

Thank you!!

Oooh, exciting!!! What did you think of it?

Ooh, I kinda came to the realization a week or so ago when I got to 大きさ in my lessons that the さ in it was a -ness-ifier, and that “bigness” could be a way to think about it… so happy to see I was right, and that this was added!

2 Likes

Added “to be illuminated” to the block list!

1 Like

@Mods 就職(しゅうしょく) accepts “finding employee.” I’m not sure if that’s clearly a typo enough in your books or not

1 Like

Added “finding employee” to block list.

3 Likes