Is WK addictive or is it just me?

:joy: I sometimes take a peek at other people when they’re using their smartphone in public. They’re either texting or playing games. I haven’t found another person who’s using their smartphone to learn another language or kanji while waiting for the bus. Makes me feel very smug when I’m doing reviews on my phone.

11 Likes

I do my reviews in my classes sometimes, and I’ve had a lot of people ask me if I was learning Chinese. It’s difficult to explain why they’re right and wrong at the same time, so I just say “No, it’s Japanese”.

3 Likes

I wanted to give up an Instagram addiction so I started doing Wanikani…now I’m hooked on Wanikani. I’m like a mindless zombie stomping to level 60 :grimacing:

7 Likes

In the beginning it is a bit addictive since leveling up feels like a game but then when you start having more then 300 reviews per day it’s no longer fun/addictive.

3 Likes

when I see the word bay, now I think of 米 (べい, Rice)…

3 Likes

For me I got truly addicted after I installed New and Improved Wallpaper Generator as a background on my home and work computer. I have filled me with so much joy to see the kanji get filled in and change colour. :heartpulse:

3 Likes

same here, I feel so cool lol, at least there is never a waste of time now that we have wanikani ! also I feel like it improves memory???

3 Likes

nice!! I ll install that now

1 Like

if reviews are overwhelming, and especially if you already find many words easy to mix up, i’d suggest stopping lessons until you’ve learned your current items well enough. that will make your reviews much easier.

haha, also America.
(米国 = America = rice country if you will)
Rice is just used as a phonetic kanji (ateji), but it’s still funny to me that of all countries America is rice country.

2 Likes

it would be interesting to know what they think of America haha, why they chose rice to name the country :joy:

1 Like

Actually there was no meaning to calling them rice country, it’s just that they used phonetic spelling for America (A-me-ri-ka), and then shortened the country names, and the first letter (A + country) was already used for Asia, so they used “me” fom “A-ME-ri-ka”, which is 米 as a phonetic kanji (ateji).

By the way, i just found out that France is “Buddha country” :wink:

3 Likes

oh yes I just learn the spelling “ame” for 米 not so long ago, makes sense!
eyyyy I m French and l love Buddhism, I feel proud :sunglasses:
is it a matter of spelling too? or because they find France too cool

they just use the character for pronunciation as well.
仏国 = ふつこく = France, using the pronunciation ふつ of 仏 (WK teaches the more common pronunciation ぶつ, like 大仏 = だいぶつ = big buddha statue).
And ふつ sounds close enough to France (フランスじん = frenchman), right?

1 Like

It’s not an addiction. I can stop anytime.
After I’ve burned my last item that is.

10 Likes

I’ve heard @neicul deals in the underground market if you need a new fix.

1 Like

I haven’t gotten there yet, but I suppose that’s a good thing? Maybe that means you are extra committed to learning the language.

It’s just you.

If my past 8 months has been any indication, at this point, it’s just you. Outside stuff got in the way and WaniKani took a big back seat.

1 Like

Haha. I am sure I would have to use it sometime but I shall keep this in mind to not get addicted :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I am committed and in any case I tend to even slightly lose the motivation, my daily life in Japan reminds me to get back at studying :smiley:

1 Like