Is WK addictive or is it just me?

I live in Japan and am committed to learning the language. Also, I am aware that there is no escape from it anyway. This is my first post, I am on level4 with a monthly subscription and waiting for the sale to happen.
I have a general question though. Is WK supposed to be addictive or is it just me?
I tend to prioritize doing the reviews over some text messages already? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

39 Likes

For me, it is.

12 Likes

Its just you. I know I definitely dont check flaming durtles for new reviews every 5 minutes even though it tells me exactly when the next one is.

30 Likes

It’s gamified learning, it’s addictive for sure.

25 Likes

I once tried to plug WK directly into my veins. Then I remembered I’m not yet a cyborg and don’t have USB ports there. So I just kept getting my WK high the traditional way.

edit: oops not meant to be a reply :stuck_out_tongue:

30 Likes

I think it is for most users (who like it enough to continue to use it after level 3, I guess). But it probably also stops being addictive for most of those users at some point.

13 Likes

I wouldn’t say addictive but I do look forward to learning on this site a lot. I think its cos it shoves your progression in your face. Aside from having the apprentice, guru… ranks, when you do a lesson or review the numbers go down, when you see blue doing radicals you know you’re starting a new level, purple= learning real words etc.

9 Likes

Yes, I am hooked already.

4 Likes

Definitely. That is how Kis Greatness The Crabigator hooks you into the cult. Do not resist.

4 Likes

I was surprised by how many people on here actually live in Japan. Good luck with WK, considering it’s necessary for you to use Japanese. What part do you live in?

1 Like

I was definitely hooked in the beginning always itching for the next lesson/review. Now that I am getting busier with life and work WK has been a little bit on the back burner. At one point I had zero apprentice items with 120 lessons waiting for me. The kanji and the radicals are fine for me. But remembering vocabulary has always been my weak suit.

Although I have started to regain that itch after I finally pushed through the 120 lessons. Now I am just waiting for my reviews to get more lessons.

7 Likes

It is interesting to learn how people handle life with study. Being a mom of two young kids, I am sure there will be many many times I would have to keep myself away from WK. But to see people taking breaks and coming back is inspiring and puts my fear at bay.

4 Likes

Haha… If only there was such a thing!
But all level 60 people seem like my Gurus right now and I can only imagine the amount of patience and hard work you endured

I don’t really have an excuse not to study Japanese do to living and working in Japan. It is almost a duty I have to my fellow co-workers and to the people I interact with in the community. Just sometimes kanji gets put on the back burner as it is not the most essential thing for communicating with people in person.

5 Likes

You mean after reaching certain level of comfort in understanding the language ? Or is it just the newness evaporates ?

I think it varies by every person! I’ve been over WaniKani for a few levels now, but I don’t think I can say the newness evaporated at level 52. I don’t regret the time I’ve spent on WaniKani but I sure am ready for it to be over.

btw I’m not saying this to discourage new users of Wanikani who feel very energized in their WaniKani studying. I think WaniKani has been very necessary in my Japanese studies ^o^

5 Likes

It’s very addictive. I have trouble relaxing on my days off because I am constantly looking at the clock to see if it is time for my next review.

4 Likes

I do relish in the feeling of learning kanji and most vocab. I specially like those who make sense when you put the kanji together, like 地球. That is the best.
That, and when I get down to learning grammar and I find that I know almost all the kanji in the lesson. God bless.

2 Likes

So, I will be able to use those complicated looking Kanji by level 13? Deal then! I guess I am ready

6 Likes

For sure!
地 (lvl 6) = earth, ground
球 (lvl 12)= sphere, ball
→ 地球 = The Earth

I’m on level 17 rn, and I have to say that the kanji are getting much more complicated - 警察 ( けいさつ ) is on this level, and the 1st kanji especially is really, really complicated.

3 Likes