Is there a way to search for manga with furigana?

I want to read more manga, but I still need furigana. Is there a way to search for manga with furigana on Bookwalker and Amazon?

2 Likes

I don’t know if there’s a way to specifically search for manga with furigana, but I believe most manga targeted to kids include furigana. So I think you can search within genres like shounen and shoujo and most manga will have furigana.

7 Likes

I’ve bought 3 manga on Bookwalker, and I didn’t specifically look for furigana, but all 3 of them had furigana. You should have a lot of options.

They were [のんのんびより], [魔入りました!入間くん] and…uh…[ 乙ゲーにトリップした俺♂] :neutral_face:

Thank you! I’ll take a look at those!

I often window shop by looking through pages of manga covers to see if anything looks like it might be interesting for me. Unfortunately, the results often includes manga without furigana.

I avoid actually buying something I won’t be able to even read by checking the preview if available. If not available, I’ll do a web search for the title with 立ち読み in the search, just in case there’s a preview on another e-manga store. Last ditch effort is a web image search to see if I can find some pages that way, to confirm whether there’s furignana or not.

It’s a bit time-consuming to do, so I think @darkness_rising has the right idea on seeking material targeted at a younger audience.

Is there any specific genre you’re interested in, or any of the WaniKani book club manga that you’d like to find something similar to? (Not that I have the breadth of manga-reading experience to recommend anything, but you never know!)

Does anyone know light novels that have furigana?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure any manga series that’s featured in Shounen Jump should have furigana over all the kanji.

Not all of the manga are super low level either - there are some harder ones in there too that use loads of kanji due to heavy sci-fi / fantasy themes, but they still have furigana all the same.

2 Likes

I really like Flying Witch and 結婚しても恋してる. Genre? Not sure, but family life, mothers and children, slice of life, is that what you call it? Feel-good, no fighting. Shojo?

Looking at the preview is also a good idea, thank you. I forget that I can do that and check if the manga looks difficult and if it has furigana. I usually just look at the picture of the front page and choose based on that.

1 Like

Yes, great idea. Thank you!

1 Like

Even stuff like Death Note has full furigana just because it’s in Jump even though it could pretty easily be a seinen manga I think. Definitely the quickest way to get a 90% accurate guess on weather a published manga will have furigana is to check the demographic of the magazine it was serialized in.

4 Likes

Although I can’t say for certain, I would imagine most of the series that center around family life and parenting are aimed at readers who don’t need furigana.

On the slice-of-life front, I see you have よつばと! on your 2020 reading list. If you’re liking that one, be sure to keep up with it.

Elsewhere, in the iyashikei category (which may have a good overlap with your areas of interest, even if it doesn’t specifically match the items you’ve listed) is Aʀɪᴀ ᴛʜᴇ Mᴀsᴛᴇʀᴘɪᴇᴄᴇ, which appeared in an early book club here at WaniKani. It’s a bit tough in the first few pages, but eases up from there. Like よつばと!, there’s no e-book release, which makes it difficult to review to determine whether you’d be interested, and makes it more costly to obtain all the volumes.

You may be able to get a few suggestions from the general manga thread if you want to try following the recommendation route.

(The upcoming ABBC read, レンタルおにいちゃん, might be of interest, if you don’t mind the feel-good moments being locked behind not-feel-good moments. If that sounds unappealing, however, best to avoid.)

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply! I guess you’re right - those who are interested in slice-of-life and family don’t need furigana… I’ll join the ABBC in August and enjoy Flying Witch for now!

2 Likes

Shogakukan has just put out for free the hisory of Japan in manga. is has furigana as well:
Here

2 Likes

I can’t say for certain, but I haven’t seen any. I do believe that, at least on the BL side, they are seen as 18+ = no need for furigana. It’s a bummer frankly, especially since translations from these types of books are pretty terrible. The English is plain bad at lot of the time. >_>

2 Likes