Is there a mistake in this context sentence for 債券?

The sentence:

債券取引は、一億円単位で売買できない人には不利なレートになってるですよ。

Is it appropriate to have です following になってる?

4 Likes

It’s not really a standard way of doing it with the dictionary form of verbs like that. It’s sometimes used to indicate a stereotypical 外国人 way of speaking by adding です to the end of everything.

Apparently it’s also a thing to indicate a certain type of character in fiction.

2 Likes

From the よ at the end one can conclude that this is direct speech. I found plain form + です to be a super common way of speaking when you want to express politeness but don’t want to go into the full formality of using ます form. It’s basically the way of speaking that I observe the most when being talked to by Japanese, or when I watch Japanese (that e.g. meet for the first time but are in an informal setting) talk to each other. (Talking about adults here, not kids, though.)
You basically form a sentence in plain form and then tuck on です to the end. When this gets even more informal, that can be slurred into す before being dropped entirely.

7 Likes

Somebody asked about this sentence on hinative a couple of years ago and got a “not very natural, put in a ん”.

6 Likes

Wouldn’t this alter the meaning to be more of a “that’s why” sentence?

2 Likes

Do you have examples? I couldn’t find any.

I also thought it was common, but I’m wondering if I just didn’t hear the ん.

I guess I did find some examples, they were just game characters and stuff.

2 Likes

Sure, but it’s the minimal edit that brings the sentence closer to more standardish Japanese, and it doesn’t seem particularly weird or out of context to do so, because Japanese is very fond of the ‘explanatory no’.

3 Likes

I found this reply which confirms what I said (and the reply after that confirms it as well):

Not saying that んです does not exist, it’s just a different thing, in my opinion.

I was told that it sounds a bit annoying if you overdo that. And I’m very sure that my language partners don’t add ん in every sentence (only where it actually explains something), while basically every sentence is plain form + です.

5 Likes

I’m not going to make any comments on the frequency of this pattern and who uses it, but if you just have never seen it and want some examples, here you go

親しみやすさはあるかもですが、魅力的かと言われると、必ずしもそうではないとアタクシは思っているです。

眠る時、子守歌代わりにいつもかけてるですよ」

四人で自由に砂浜で遊んでもらえるですか?

学校の課題で普通ここまでやるですか

場が一体になって、我が雑誌を盛り上げてくれるのが伝わるですよ

6 Likes

Just to clarify, you’re saying they would say something like ~に行くです instead of ~に行く, ~に行くんです, ~に行きます or other possible constructions?

Yes, that’s what I’m saying.

Potentially stupid questions, but are you sure

1. They are natives
  2. There isn’t an ん

Just triple checking, you are sure they are doing it also with positive form ? たべないです is pretty much standard in speech, but たべるです ?

1 Like

I can’t say I can personally recall hearing natives speak like that to each other around me, or hearing them speak like that to me.

It’s hard for me to reconcile a difference between “it’s almost every sentence” and “basically never hear it.”

3 Likes

Absolutely.

That’s what it sounds to me, but of course that’s not a proof :joy_cat: I will check back with them and report here.

What if you said that, though. :0

Where did I do so? :thinking:

Reasonable.

What the… :cold_sweat:

No, I was just saying it’d be a funny thing to say. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Character speech can be quite something.

All of these are something I would consider non-standard and very charactery. Its not rare, but I question natives using this very often in real life, hence my question on missing ん possibly.

2 Likes

Alright so I asked my language partner in our weekly chat about this, and it turns out that I overgeneralized this pattern :sweat_smile:

While she confirmed that there is a level of politeness below the standard ます register (she even called it “casual”) that has the shape “plain form + です”, it is not true that this works in the positive case, only in the negative, as ~ないです. I think the frequent usage of this pattern (combined with ending a sentence on a noun or adjective so that it’s okay to tuck on です anyway) is what led me to believe that you can basically tuck on です to any casual sentence. Which is clearly wrong.

In order to properly clarify, I specifically asked her about this, and she briefly shuddered when she heard it :rofl: So no, they did not say that.

My apologies to everybody for the confusion I caused! :bowing_woman:

8 Likes