Is there a collection of grammar rules anywhere?

Please excuse my ignorance, this may exist, somewhere on the site but I don’t know where to find it.

is there a collection of rules anywhere?

things like
“watch out for readings that end in つ they often turn to っ in compounds”
or
“verbs with ending with げる are often transitive, meaning someone is doing something to something like you are lowering a bucket
while
“verbs with ending with がる are often intransitive, meaning something is happening by itself, like a fever rising

I’ve been finding these super helpful in some of the vocab I’ve gotten so far (I’m only at level 7, so I’m just starting.)

I would love to see them all collected somewhere because trying to find out which of the many vocab words I’ve been taught so far is the one that has that hint is frustrating.

1 Like

hrm. well there’s this

that’s a whole lot to dig through so I guess I’ll start there. I guess I’m looking for like a cheatsheet to study like the particles cheatsheet

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, it seems you’re asking more about morphology and etymology than grammar, idk…

5 Likes

Try a free 30 day trial at bunpro.jp and go through all the points from n5 to n1. I’m doing it now to fill in some gaps I’ve missed over the years.

1 Like

Morphology is part of grammar, and I don’t think etymology was referenced at any point.

1 Like

Whether or not a verb is intransitive or transitive based on the vowels in the ending is ultimately a question of etymological origin, right? There’s no grammatical rule that determines this in modern Japanese, it’s just a question of groups of words ending up a certain way. idk.

Fair enough that morphology is a part of grammar. That said, what I was trying to refer to (not actually morphology (my mistake)) is not a part of grammar. Things like, "why is there a small “つ” in the word 学校・がっこう is not a question of grammar is it? This seems to me to be asking about why the Japanese preferred different sounds and why words became the way they did. Again, a question of word origin or ultimately etymology right?

Edit:
Fundamentally, I think my point still stands. They were not asking any questions about grammar. I think it could be confusing to look for answers to their questions in the realm of “grammar” as they are asking non-grammar questions.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.