Is that rendaku?

I know that rendaku is a tough topic, but I just have a quick question.

Today, I learned the word “Unsold merchandise” (kanji: 残品, kana: ざんぴん). Because of some sort of sequential voicing, the ひん becomes ぴん. Instead, of a dakuon, the reading gains a handakuon.

Is that considered rendaku, or is that something else? I couldn’t find information about that.

I’m not sure if it being officially classified as rendaku matters much. It’s the same idea. The reading of 品 is ひん but it gets changed to ぴん in this case because of the preceding sounds.

I remember reading something about unnatural sounds in phonology. Where in language construction, certain sounds cannot follow others because of… reasons, I guess. Is this why rendaku exists?

Yeah, that’s just me being a stickler. I can tell it’s the same principle, but I wanted to know a bit more about the theory behind it, if there is any. :upside_down_face:

Any idea where you read this? Id like to read

Wikipedia’s phonology category (and the linguistics category in general), is very well-written. I like to browse through now and then. :slight_smile:

And in particular, the article about Rendaku is great imo:

There’s no explanation for why rendaku exists, but the only rule that we have is what blocks rendaku from happening, which would be like what you’re saying. Rendaku is unpredictable enough that there are historical words we don’tk now for sure how they’re pronounced as Dakuten were often not used.

Anyways, to the OP, I’m pretty sure that H->P is not a form of Rendaku, but is 音便 .

Thank you!

Check out the ‘Restrictions on occurrence’ section and the Phonotactics article from here