Is really 90+% the norm?

Over 90% people, what do you do to get over 90%?

• previous knowledge
  • cheating
  • good memory
  • self studies
  • other
  • I don’t get over 90%

0 voters

3 Likes

If I’m on top of studying (hitting my srs intervals on time) I get 90+ percent. If I’m not on it, I can get as low as 70

8 Likes

My answer for back when I used to get 90%+

Self-study scripts. Also the items were “easier” since it was lower levels.
Ehm… a little bit of cheating maybe :eyes:
I wasn’t very disciplined with the override script back then, I’m much better now :eyes: I mean, I changed out the override script with the double-checker, if that says anything :laughing:

5 Likes

I realy like that strategy. The page is ment to help you learn, so i think it is cool when people are changing the structure to a way that helps them learn it in a more natural way for them. :grinning:

1 Like

I feel you are living up to your profile picture :heartpulse:= :bomb:

2 Likes

I tend to get 75-90% or so, but I don’t think I’ve ever gotten 100% with more than a few reviews, that’s just ridiculously difficult. I don’t really use anything that would help me out by much (no override script, hardly ever use self study script, especially not before reviews, etc.) The only thing I do use is 1x1 mode so I can always have both reading and meaning for an item back to back.

Your accuracy is by no means bad, I’d say just doing your reviews consistently will make up for any missed items.

Keep up the good work! :grin:

1 Like

I get anywhere from 90-100% on reviews these days, averaging low-90s. The ones that really get me are some of the vocabulary with rendaku or things that use uncommon readings like 名字. Previously I was also having a lot of issues with all the verbs using 当 like 当たる、当てる、見当たる.

1 Like

I’m average… rarely get 100% for a large review set. I don’t let it get to me and will usually end a review session if I fall below 50%. My brain goes on vacation from time to time. It’s best not to force it.

2 Likes

My average is 98% - but that’s because I reset from level 27, so I’m covering stuff I’ve already learned and (mostly) remember. Once I get back to around the level I was, I fully expect my average to drop. I’m okay with that, and trust the SRS to do its thing.

3 Likes

My average is 85%, honestly. And I am quite content with it. I often get 200+ review bulks and then mistakes just happen, because I mess up, I lose my concentration and the moment I hit enter I know the answer. Can’t be that bothered, I just get it right the next time. I swear a bit and go on.

So as long as I am above 80, I am happy. Below has happened before (I think 70% was my worst), when I really struggled with new levels (looking at you, awful level 17). But as long as I am above 80%, I consider the review a success. Below means I need to treat myself to chocolate XD

I just think whenever I learn something, I made a step forward. Might take longer, but I am fine with it. One day my stubborn brain will break and will remember that certain kanji.

5 Likes

I have quite often ~65-85%. Sometimes below 50%, sometimes 95-100%. I was guessing my average would be around 75-80%, but wkstats says:

Reading	Meaning	Total
88.70%	91.91%	90.38%
1 Like

mine is: Reading 87.51% Meaning 91.24% Total 89.46%, but since my reading and meaning faults are often different vocab or kanji, the review total is often closer to 75-80

That’s interesting. I am like you. Glad when I am above 50%! I have no idea why I get so many wrong on reviews! Ugh. But I’m with ya. I so happy when I am 90 and amazed at 100.

1 Like

4 Likes

I find if I do my reviews as soon as they are available, I get 90+%. If I only do my reviews once a day, my accuracy sinks.

I think the key is to log into WaniKani multiple times a day and do your reviews as soon as they become available. SRS works best that way

8 Likes

80-85 is pretty good! I think it’s a good balance between pushing yourself hard enough, and not pushing yourself too hard. If you’re hitting 100% all the time, you’re either a genius, you’re cheating, or you’re being extremely careful and methodical. Getting 10-20% of your answers wrong tells yourself you’re going at a speed that’s slightly faster than what you’re comfortable with, which is great, because it means you’re pushing yourself to learn more and improve how you’re doing it!

48 Likes

I pretty consistently find myself in the higher end of 80-90% when larger batches are involved, sure ill get the occasional 90%+ on smaller review batches but thats really just odd coincidences.

If you really wanna optimise you will have to create som strategies like only reviewing when specific conditions are met (time of day etc.) and do extra studying outside of reviews. But unless you have nothing else to do its not worth the extra effort, i would personally rather spend that extra time on other things like immersion, grammar or something else entirely.

1 Like

Is 90% the norm? Probably not for everyone. In my case I can consistently get 90-95% if there is a lot of apprentice and guru items. Now I took a break from lessons and was getting about 80-85% with all those Master and Enlightened items.

1 Like

It varies a lot depending on what you’re actually reviewing, I think. A bunch of brand new items are different from a bunch of items ready to burn, or a bunch of mid-guru leeches all at once. So expecting to get a high score on every single batch of reviews is just unnecessarily hard on yourself, I’d say. Sometimes every single item you hate will hit all at once and you’ll get something in a 60% range; sometimes you’ll get a batch of items you know really well and breeze through with 100%.

And all the review results are really doing is keeping the SRS algorithm informed, so it’s probably not a big deal either way. The bigger thing to be concerned about is probably if the items waiting in apprentice or guru keep piling up and don’t seem to make any progress out of there over time.

5 Likes

Those people are probably also the people signing in 2-3 times a day. On a good day I will sign in twice and get 85-90%. Even if you do sign in that often, I think its putting unnecessary pressure on yourself to expect 100%. If you mess up that’s ok, its part of the learning process.The whole point is to learn and you can’t expect to be perfect right away

1 Like