Is It Just A Typo From WK?

Okay, so I just used Jisho.org for a word that didn’t make sense for me “sedge”.

The thing is that I don’t find Wanikani’s reading(suga) on Jisho…is it normal? An extra reading or just a typo?(because there is “suge” which is close).

Add to that the fact that this Kanji doesn’t seem so useful…

WANIKANI READING

JISHO READINGS

EDIT: I just saw the other forms lol

3 Likes

It’s one of those kanji that is quite frequently found in last names.

Most notably (for me at least), Chief Cabinet Secretary of the Japanese Government, ‘number 2’ to Prime Minister Abe is named Suga Yoshihide or 菅義偉. You should be able to find it as one of the ‘nanori’ readings.

7 Likes

That’s what I thought because I found nothing interesting in Jisho besides some names. Thanks for confirming it.

However, I thought WK uses the same “main” readings as Jisho so I was kind of surprised.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s one of a handful of kanji that are on WaniKani as kanji only and not as vocab, possibly because of their frequent use in proper nouns and no other reason.

4 Likes

I give up on names until I am fluent. Every time you see names it’s like you never learned Kanji.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.