[iOS] Mobile AlliCrab for WaniKani

I personally don’t think it would be right to use a competing app’s UI as visual inspiration. Don’t get me wrong, Tsurukame does look nice but I feel like it would be smarter to come up with unique designs that separates the two apps rather than using it as inspiration which will inevitably make them more similar.

Also Apple can be picky with apps that are too similar design-wise
App Store Review Guidelines - Apple Developer section 4.1

3 Likes

I have had requests to add pitch accent to the app, and it is in my list. As has been mentioned, I won’t integrate the script directly as I’m trying to eliminate web views from the app. It’s pretty low on my list though (mainly because I would need to find a good source of this data which permits redistribution), so don’t take this as any kind of a commitment to it happening.

2 Likes

I actually reset a couple weeks ago, but the forum didn’t update my level until recently.

It wasn’t just the app I was neglecting, it was all of WaniKani. I was level 14 for around 2 years (and 13 for a year before that) so I decided to reset rather than try to work through the review pile.

1 Like

The script grabs the information from http://weblio.jp, which is the only online dictionary I’ve found that includes pitch accent information. It may not technically be legal to grab that data though, I have no idea.

Bug: I opened another app (actually a PWA) and received a notification that I had 1 review. I went to check it and this is what I saw:

I think you may be seeing the same thing that I had reported in the github issue here assuming you had done your reviews somewhere other than the app.

No, the 1 review still exists. It just thinks it’s still 15:53 instead of 16:00.

1 Like

Looks like there’s an issue refreshing the view after coming back in from the background. I’ll get this fixed.

1 Like

I might help if i have the time (that’s a big if considering i am drowning in code atm ahah).
The applewatch companion would be a nice touch.
We would have to define the UX and UI first though.

3 Likes

Hey Cplaverty, love the app, just want to give you big props for doing such a good job.

One “bug” I’ve found (and apologies if this has already been raised) - I have a personal preference for seeing cumulative reviews in the “Review Timeline” view, so I changed the “Values” setting in the “Edit” options on that page to “Cumulative Total”. However, every time you go back to the homepage and then return to the “Review Timeline” view this setting is reset to “Count” - ideally this would persist!

Edit: The “Filter” setting also doesn’t persist!

1 Like

It’s been fixed recently so that they persist as a user setting. The 3.1 beta hasn’t been released yet, but once @cplaverty does that you should see that in testflight.

1 Like

As @razorcat has noted, he has kindly already made this change, which will be released with version 3.1. I will be releasing a new beta version with this change soon.

1 Like

Ahhhh, I missed the issue on GitHub - fab. Also, as a software dev by trade, what’s the scope for helping out here?

Happy to accept contributions. If there’s anything in particular you want to implement, feel free to mail me allicrab@icloud.com and we can discuss.

I should really raise all the requests I’ve had over the years as GitHub issues.

3 Likes

Just a suggestion, but you can also use github projects (if you’re unfamiliar it’s basically kanban boards for github issues) so that you can “prioritize” them and give everyone a visual summary of what is/isn’t/will be worked on.

2 Likes

Is there a version of this app for Android? I changed phone yesterday and I totally miss this app - particularly the upcoming review list. The Android app doesn’t have that feature at all and it’s bumming me out hard. :pensive:

Sorry, there’s not an Android version.

If it’s the upcoming reviews you miss, I believe you can run user scripts in Firefox on Android. So you could grab the timeline script and run it there?

1 Like

Ah,that’s a shame but thanks for your reply. I’ll check out the timeline script! Thanks. :smile:

1 Like

AlliCrab 3.0 will be the last version available on the App Store.

The 3.1 update was rejected for the reason I’ve been dreading: because it doesn’t (and can’t) offer in-app purchases for WK subscriptions. She said they can’t approve the app while it has a login for a subscription service, and I couldn’t seem to explain to her that the information in the app is specific to a particular person and so the app has no useful functionality without the ability to log in.

I will probably continue working on the app for my personal use and may continue to produce TestFlight versions until my developer subscription expires. It’s a shame it has to end this way, but I see no other option.

3 Likes

WHAT THE !!!