[iOS] Mobile AlliCrab for WaniKani

Thanks for letting me know. I will look into it and see if I can find the cause.

2 Likes

Definitely checking this out, thanks!

@cplaverty Could you add the “Close but no Cigar” script to the app? Since we can’t mark accidentally correct answers as wrong, this is the next best thing.

Sure, will do.

1 Like

It would be lovely to be able to add user synonyms during lessons in this app :slight_smile: I always add them in my native language. Currently I can use Mobile Allicrab for only reviewing. For that purpose it’s excellent though!

Also sometimes I miss the opportunity to change the alarm tone that reminds me to review. It’s a little quiet for my liking, but that’s a minor thing that you needn’t really mind :slight_smile:

Will add this to my list, but I’m hoping it gets added as native functionality before I get the chance:

I’ve had no inspiration for a custom tone, which is why I’ve left it at the default. I wish this was something that you could directly customise, but unfortunately I don’t know of any way to do so.

1 Like

The countdown to level up is way off. It says I’ve been at level 10 for 8 days when it’s been 3. Is there a way for me to fix this?

If you email me your API key to allicrab@icloud.com, I’ll take a look.

Hi there, firstly, great app. I really love your work.

I have been having issues with the time to level recently. As of previous level, I tried to slow down as the life got busy. So sometimes after 7-8 days into the level, I noticed it started showing 20+. I thought it was an issue with the API key or something, levelled up and it happened again just now on this level. So it must be something that changed in the app recently.

It is not a huge issue for me as I am trying to increase days to level to around 18-20, but it is hard to understand where I am now as I don’t want to go too slow.

Are you getting kanji wrong after you’ve gurued them? Unfortunately the current API can’t distinguish between kanji you’ve never gurued and kanji you gurued but got wrong later. I believe the new API V2 will support this information.

With that said, showing 20+ after 7-8 days is a bigger discrepancy than what I’ve seen, so maybe it’s a different issue.

Thanks!

When the projected time to level increases like that, have you ever paid attention to the text describing it? When I’m using the average level time, the title will be “Level Up In (Estimated)”; if I’m using your minimum guru time, it’ll just say “Level Up In”. Have you noticed whether it’s flipping between an estimated time or not? I’m thinking similar to @seanblue that this is the cause of the change you’re seeing: either a kanji or a radical has dipped under guru and it’s reverting to an estimate based on your average levelling speed. If that is the case, it’s something that can be handled much better when I release 3.0 against the new API version 2.

I am re-reading my post, and I can see why you guys got confused. The issue is not “level up in…” prediction, the problem is with “current level time”. After few days in the new level, it starts showing 20+. Is there any other way, or a script so I can check somewhere else to confirm that I am not going crazy?

Ah, understood. In that case, it could be similar to the problem reported by @Chellykins above (which I unfortunately have not yet had time to look at).

What the app does is use the earliest unlocked_date for the current-level radicals and kanji, and uses that as the level start date. As a cross-check, you can use @rfindley’s most excellent stats site at https://www.idigtech.com/wanikani/#progress and see whether that gives you the expected start date. If the site is correct and the app is wrong, it’d be a great help if you could mail me your API key so I can investigate.

Another broken Time in Level here. App says 12+ but it’s more like 2. Will mail my key.

I’m sorry but there’s no meaning+reading review mode? I’m not minimizing any effort you’ve put in this app cause it’s really great but that’s like the first thing I would implement before all those custom scripts.
Are you guys seriously using this app with hundreds of reviews?
If I’m missing something here please tell me

If you are doing reviews with meaning and reading together on your computer, you are already using a custom script. That functionality is not built into WaniKani, so it is a custom script, just like the ones currently included in the app.

Based on your comment, I assume you’re not aware of the wrap up button. It is built into the website, meaning it is available on the desktop version of the site as well as any mobile apps. When you click the wrap up button (it looks like a clock), you will review only 10 more items (some of which you may have already started). This ensures that you don’t have any partially done reviews and allows you to do them in smaller chunks.

You are right, i did not know about the wrap button and I thank you for that. I know it’s not a built in feature of wk but not knowing of the wrap button I couldn’t possibly think that one was using wanikani without said script. Thanks again!
That’ll keep me using this app (the other one isn’t giving me review alert so I uninstalled it) but it’s still a bit weird not having meaning then reading.

@Chellykins @StevePaget Thank you both for providing your API keys. I’ve had a look at the data and I can see what’s causing the issue. In determining the level start date, I’m considering the earliest unlock date for both radicals and kanji, and for some reason the unlock dates for kanji have become much earlier than the level start date whereas I don’t think that was the case before. The radical start dates all look reasonable, so I’ll change the app for the next version to only consider kanji unlock dates if there are no radicals (I think there’s one level where that’s the case). That should resolve the issue.

2 Likes

@cplaverty Could it be from items that they unlocked and then were moved to a later level? I think @rfindley doesn’t check the first unlocked item to avoid issues like that on his stats site. Maybe he has a specific recommendation to avoid this issue.

Top of my list is xMunch’s Reorder Ultimate, which will provide the option of a meaning+reading mode. This is pretty much the number one request I get from people, and it’s something I have been making very slow progress on for a very long time. There are a number of reasons why it’s been delayed, but I do consider it high priority.