[iOS] Mobile AlliCrab for WaniKani

Help! I’m now getting “allicrab beta has expired” when I try to open the app. Do I need a new TestFlight invitation or something?

EDIT: whoops didn’t realize it’s now proper up in the App Store. All good!

Great app ! I just wonder if we can change the date from where the level progress is calculated? For mine the average time is calculated from the day of my registration but I’ve started to use months after so it’s messing up the the average level time… Any idea how to fix it to get an accurate one?
Thanks !

Ivysan said... Great app ! I just wonder if we can change the date from where the level progress is calculated? For mine the average time is calculated from the day of my registration but I've started to use months after so it's messing up the the average level time... Any idea how to fix it to get an accurate one?
Thanks !
Hi! Sorry for responding so late, but I've been swamped recently. There isn't any manner of customisation with the level progress calculation, and I wasn't really planning on adding any. It's pretty aggressive in excluding levels from its calculation and will ignore a quarter of your fastest levels and a quarter of your slowest levels. Since you're level 3, there are only two completed levels, so it uses them both. Once you hit level 4, it'll ignore your slowest level when calculating the average. After you've got a few more levels completed, the average should be fairly stable. 

There’s a couple of bugs that bother me with this app and all other wanikani apps.

I use an ipad bluetooth keyboard.
When I get an item wrong, I can’t just hit “enter” to go to the next item on the keyboard. I have to actually touch the screen.
The space bar also doesn’t bring up the “Show All Information” area.

These are the only thing that keeps me from using my ipad for reviews.
Anyone else have these problems?

aragonsr said... There's a couple of bugs that bother me with this app and all other wanikani apps.

I use an ipad bluetooth keyboard.
When I get an item wrong, I can't just hit "enter" to go to the next item on the keyboard. I have to actually touch the screen.
The space bar also doesn't bring up the "Show All Information" area.

These are the only thing that keeps me from using my ipad for reviews.
Anyone else have these problems?
The problem here is it's a general shortcoming with the two web components available in iOS.  You have the choice of two solutions, both of which have trade-offs.  Hopefully the description below isn't too much technical detail.

If you want to add a web view to an iOS app (and be able to inject user scripts), there are two options: the older UIWebView (which has been in iOS since version 2, and it shows) and the newer WKWebView (added in iOS 8).  UIWebView has one piece of crucial functionality that I could never get to work with the newer WKWebView: the ability to give the answer box keyboard focus when the page loads.  You'll see this behaviour if you use Safari directly with an external keyboard.  You'll need to tap to select the answer box, but then after that the keyboard works as you'd expect: keyboard shortcuts all work, and you'll be able to press enter to move to the next item.  But then you'll need to tap the answer box again to enter the answer for the next item.  My app initially used WKWebView, but I had to revert to the older UIWebView because I received so many complaints about the need to tap the answer box between questions (and It was infuriating for me, too).

UIWebView has a different set of trade-offs.  It allows the text box to have initial focus when the page loads, but at the cost of all keyboard shortcuts not working.  Given far fewer people use external keyboards, I decided to go with the solution that appeased the majority.

I haven't given up on the issue though.  I do hope to have a proper solution to the problem, but I just haven't had the time to devote to looking into the issue.
Version 2.1 has been released to the store.

Adds a new user script:

Additionally has a few design tweaks, and iOS 10 and general bug fixes.  Unfortunately, the Reorder Ultimate script didn't make this version.  Rewriting the reorder UI means I need to rewrite large portions of this script.  This is still my top priority to complete.
cplaverty said... Version 2.1 has been released to the store.

Adds a new user script:

Additionally has a few design tweaks, and iOS 10 and general bug fixes.  Unfortunately, the Reorder Ultimate script didn't make this version.  Rewriting the reorder UI means I need to rewrite large portions of this script.  This is still my top priority to complete.
Huge thumbsup, the app is great!
Can't wait for the reorder!

Hey! Not sure if anyone else has this problem, but if I am listening to music while doing reviews (I like to jam out while I crab out) it gets paused every time the audio for the reading plays, and I have to toggle back and forth to press play again every other kanji. 

Thank you a thousand times for this app, it has helped me so much!

cplaverty said... Version 2.1 has been released to the store.

Adds a new user script:

Amazing! Thanks so much CP!
chibibunny713 said... Hey! Not sure if anyone else has this problem, but if I am listening to music while doing reviews (I like to jam out while I crab out) it gets paused every time the audio for the reading plays, and I have to toggle back and forth to press play again every other kanji. 

Thank you a thousand times for this app, it has helped me so much!
It's not just you.  I do my reviews on my train commute with music on, and have this problem myself.  I've spent a few hours on it and couldn't find a solution.  The web control I want to use seems to ignore the audio settings of the app itself.  Any audio the app plays directly should be able to mix with music, but I can't find any way to get the web control to use the app's audio session.  I keep it on my issues list and look at it every once in a while, but honestly I think it's unlikely I'll be able to fix it in the app's current state.

Hey, I recently got back to wanikani and still an avid user of AlliCrab. Lately though I’ve had quite a few times where the apps freeze and I lost part of my progress in the process. I have to shut down the app and reopen to make it work again or I leave, re-open and it crashes. I was wondering if this is a know problem.

I really love the features that made their way into the app, so useful, I use them all the time. With the radical and kanji panel, I can easily plan my time to make sure I do the important reviews at the right time, and now I pretty much finish all my levels in less than 8 days, pretty neat. It would be cool to see the future plans shown above implemented in the app, especially the historical charts.

If there is a way to beta-test, my email is yoshindustry@gmail.com. I used to be part of the beta before, but not since the app was officially launched in the App Store.

yoshindustry said... Hey, I recently got back to wanikani and still an avid user of AlliCrab. Lately though I've had quite a few times where the apps freeze and I lost part of my progress in the process. I have to shut down the app and reopen to make it work again or I leave, re-open and it crashes. I was wondering if this is a know problem.

I really love the features that made their way into the app, so useful, I use them all the time. With the radical and kanji panel, I can easily plan my time to make sure I do the important reviews at the right time, and now I pretty much finish all my levels in less than 8 days, pretty neat. It would be cool to see the future plans shown above implemented in the app, especially the historical charts.

If there is a way to beta-test, my email is yoshindustry@gmail.com. I used to be part of the beta before, but not since the app was officially launched in the App Store.
Hmm, that's weird. I am the same (recently got back into doing my reviews and using the App) but have not had any issues.

not bug〜 but sometimes your app show good morning message on morning said「おはようございますminamixさん」on bottom screen like this〜

im forget to take screenshot but at least it have same appearance like this〜

Hello!
Does this app feature custom URL scheme? I want to make shortcut to reviews or at least to app in iOS widget.
Thanks!

AlliCrab keeps freezing on me when I submit answers. iPhone 7 Plus latest iOS. Anyone else?

Hello everyone!

I’ve disappeared for the last six months or so as life got a bit crazy for me. Things have finally calmed down a bit, and I find myself with a bit of time to work on the app which had been languishing for the last 9 months or so. Apologies for those who have posted that it’s taken me so long to respond.

This is a known problem, and it’s taken me ages to track it down. I think I finally have solved the problem in the beta version that I will be shortly releasing. I’ve added your email to the beta list as you’ve requested, so please give the beta a whirl and let me know if you still see any problems.

This panel isn’t something that the app can control (as far as I am aware). I think this is an area where iOS makes suggestions to you. For me, I’ve seen it suggest music to play given my current location, or when I’m at home it’ll show hand-off activities here (like allowing me to continue reading a web page in Safari from my laptop on my phone). It’s cool that my app is wishing you good morning, and I wish I could say it was my doing, but unfortunately it’s not.

It does! This is how the Notification Centre widget launches the app. The URL the widget opens when you tap it is kwk://launch/reviews. The intention is to have it actually respond to kwk://launch/lessons and kwk://launch/reviews to directly open the lessons or review page respectively, but such work has been on my to-do list for…about a year and a half. Along with 3D Touch support for the same. So for now, these URLs just launches the app. Is this something personal you’re building, or is this something available on the store?

I’ve made some changes in the next version of the app that I think mitigates this issue. I’m hoping the beta version for this will be approved over the next couple days, so if you’d like access to the beta version to see if it works for you, please email me at allicrab@icloud.com. Thanks!

2 Likes

@cplaverty Are you considering adding some version of a reorder script (even a heavily simplified version) to allow people to do the level-up-critical reviews right away?

EDIT: Also, I tried the app’s version of Jitai. It generated some really hard to read font that I’ve never seen on the Chrome version. How are the fonts determined?

Yes, the plan is still to include xMunch’s Reorder Ultimate script. I’ve been promising it for the better part of a year and a half and have done most the hard work. I perpetually feel like it’s close to completion.

Extra fonts are bundled with the app and there isn’t any way currently to alter the list. I’ve included the fonts that obskyr originally recommended on the GitHub page where the script is hosted. The really hard to read font is probably Armed Banana. Since at the moment there’s no way to choose which fonts are used (another feature request I’d like to do some day), I’m going to remove the font for now.

2 Likes

Are you making the change in a way that will take immediate effect or will it take effect with the next update?

It’s great to hear reorder ultimate is coming! :thumbsup: