[iOS] Mobile AlliCrab for WaniKani

Version 2.0 (with the new app name) has finally been released to the store.

This version adds basic level statistics: average time to level, time at current level and estimated time remaining to complete the current level. Slight changes to the position of the Ignore Answer button (when the WaniKani Override user script is enabled) to ensure that it’s not obscured by any tooltips when WaniKani marks the answer as incorrect.  Minor tweaks and bug fixes.
1 Like

Hi Chris, 

I just downloaded this app onto my iPhone 5s and I was able to sign in to get my API key, but then the app quit. Every time I open it I get the opening crab image, but it then immediately closes. I tried going into the settings and purging the database and when I did this the app would open to my dashboard, but when the progress bar at the bottom for downloading data from wanikani completes, the app quits again. 

Would you be able to take a look? I’m on iOS 9.2.1.

I’m also still on my free trial on wanikani, if that makes any difference?

Thanks,
Bonnie

Unfortunately, I made a minor error when calculating the average time to level for people at level 1 which is causing the app to crash after login.  I have a fix for this currently awaiting review that I hope will be approved and released within the next day or two (assuming it doesn’t get rejected).  I can add you to the TestFlight list so you can get access to the beta version which resolves this issue: just send me your email address at allicrab@icloud.com.  Alternatively, you can wait until the 2.0.1 version is released to the app store, and it will also be resolved once you hit level 2.  My apologies for the error!

Lemme guess, divide by zero?

More or less. The division by zero doesn’t crash the app, it just returns NaN. The formatting of that as a time interval is what crashes the app. 

Version 2.0.1 has been released to the store.

Adds two new user scripts:

Additionally fixes a crash on startup for level 1s, and adds a close button to the timeout message that appears when reviewing with an intermittent data connection.

Hi Chris, any update on the progress of the reorder script implementation?

Thanks again! :=)

EskimoJo said... Hi Chris, any update on the progress of the reorder script implementation?

And the 1x1 mode in the reorder script. :D

Can you make the “Anki mode” script? It would make the whole reviewing process much faster!

1 Like
EskimoJo said... Hi Chris, any update on the progress of the reorder script implementation?

Frouzich said... And the 1x1 mode in the reorder script. :D
This is what I'm looking at now. I got it integrated yesterday and it appears to be broadly working (apart from parts of the reorder configuration UI), but needs more testing. All going well, I'm hoping to have this in a state ready to start beta testing next month. 

weszerzad said... Can you make the "Anki mode" script? It would make the whole reviewing process much faster!
Sure, I can look into it. 

Hey–not sure if you are aware of this, but I have noticed that the green “correct” banner does not show up for Radicals when reviewing.   

cplaverty said...

This is what I'm looking at now. I got it integrated yesterday and it appears to be broadly working (apart from parts of the reorder configuration UI), but needs more testing. All going well, I'm hoping to have this in a state ready to start beta testing next month.

Yay! That part of the script is the reason why I can manage wanikani everyday.

dbets said... Hey--not sure if you are aware of this, but I have noticed that the green "correct" banner does not show up for Radicals when reviewing.   
I assume you're using WaniKani Double Check? I remember this being a known issue with that script. I have on my list to look at it, but since it's only a display problem it's lower in priority. 

This is a really well designed app and gives you tons of useful information, but I’m still doing my reviews with the original (and abandoned) Wanikani app. The reason? Lightning mode. I use an iPad with a Bluetooth keyboard and with WaniKani’s Lightning mode I only need to hit ‘enter’ and it automatically goes to the next review item. With Allicrab I have to hit the next button on the screen. Any chance you can look into adding a “lightning mode” feature?

cplaverty said...

Great news! Thanks for being so open and willing to implement our desires!

Help! I’m now getting “allicrab beta has expired” when I try to open the app. Do I need a new TestFlight invitation or something?

EDIT: whoops didn’t realize it’s now proper up in the App Store. All good!

Great app ! I just wonder if we can change the date from where the level progress is calculated? For mine the average time is calculated from the day of my registration but I’ve started to use months after so it’s messing up the the average level time… Any idea how to fix it to get an accurate one?
Thanks !

Ivysan said... Great app ! I just wonder if we can change the date from where the level progress is calculated? For mine the average time is calculated from the day of my registration but I've started to use months after so it's messing up the the average level time... Any idea how to fix it to get an accurate one?
Thanks !
Hi! Sorry for responding so late, but I've been swamped recently. There isn't any manner of customisation with the level progress calculation, and I wasn't really planning on adding any. It's pretty aggressive in excluding levels from its calculation and will ignore a quarter of your fastest levels and a quarter of your slowest levels. Since you're level 3, there are only two completed levels, so it uses them both. Once you hit level 4, it'll ignore your slowest level when calculating the average. After you've got a few more levels completed, the average should be fairly stable. 

There’s a couple of bugs that bother me with this app and all other wanikani apps.

I use an ipad bluetooth keyboard.
When I get an item wrong, I can’t just hit “enter” to go to the next item on the keyboard. I have to actually touch the screen.
The space bar also doesn’t bring up the “Show All Information” area.

These are the only thing that keeps me from using my ipad for reviews.
Anyone else have these problems?

aragonsr said... There's a couple of bugs that bother me with this app and all other wanikani apps.

I use an ipad bluetooth keyboard.
When I get an item wrong, I can't just hit "enter" to go to the next item on the keyboard. I have to actually touch the screen.
The space bar also doesn't bring up the "Show All Information" area.

These are the only thing that keeps me from using my ipad for reviews.
Anyone else have these problems?
The problem here is it's a general shortcoming with the two web components available in iOS.  You have the choice of two solutions, both of which have trade-offs.  Hopefully the description below isn't too much technical detail.

If you want to add a web view to an iOS app (and be able to inject user scripts), there are two options: the older UIWebView (which has been in iOS since version 2, and it shows) and the newer WKWebView (added in iOS 8).  UIWebView has one piece of crucial functionality that I could never get to work with the newer WKWebView: the ability to give the answer box keyboard focus when the page loads.  You'll see this behaviour if you use Safari directly with an external keyboard.  You'll need to tap to select the answer box, but then after that the keyboard works as you'd expect: keyboard shortcuts all work, and you'll be able to press enter to move to the next item.  But then you'll need to tap the answer box again to enter the answer for the next item.  My app initially used WKWebView, but I had to revert to the older UIWebView because I received so many complaints about the need to tap the answer box between questions (and It was infuriating for me, too).

UIWebView has a different set of trade-offs.  It allows the text box to have initial focus when the page loads, but at the cost of all keyboard shortcuts not working.  Given far fewer people use external keyboards, I decided to go with the solution that appeased the majority.

I haven't given up on the issue though.  I do hope to have a proper solution to the problem, but I just haven't had the time to devote to looking into the issue.