I'm looking for a difficult anime

If you want a sub file/transcript there’s kitsunekko

Aside from that all I really know of is Japanese Netflix via a proxy and maybe similar sites to animelon like daiweeb (although idk if the selection is different since they might get stuff from the same sources)

1 Like

Yeah but in my experience katanagatari wasn’t nearly as good and the dialog was more flat, although the banter was quite good at times. Good idea to check that out if you’re into it though

It’s on Crunchyroll and Hulu if you’re in America.

I thought all the anime had JP subs? At least I watched Aggretsuko with JP subs a few months ago (this is in Europe). I don’t have the subscription now so I can’t check.

I watch more j-drama than anime and that might be worth exploring. Followers on Netflix is excellent and just out.

In the anime vein give もやしもん a try. Story is about a guy who goes to agricultural college with the power to see and talk to microbes. It’s quite educational about fermentation. It’s sexist in the usual (depressing) Japanese way, the grad student wears bondage style minidresses, whole unsuitable for work in a laboratory. I’m reading the mangas now. It’s on Crunchyroll so could give it a try there.

2 Likes

Aggretsuko definitely has Japanese subs.

Well i don’t understand standards above so… i am going to recommend random animes…
Vinland saga: historical
Kimetsu no yaiba: shounen
Dr. Stone: about science and stuff.

Sangatsu no lion (March comes like a lion)

1 Like

Maybe that’s a new thing because they didn’t always have them back when I tried a year ago. At the very least Netflix jp has some stuff that isn’t licensed on western Netflix

My info might be a little outdated though it’s been a year since I had to look up stuff like this

The new anime on Netflix all have Japanese subs, but some of the older series don’t. I think they’ve been trying to improve that though, because Madoka Magica didn’t used to have Japanese subs, but now it does.

3 Likes

I’m watching somali to mori no kamisama (pretty simple with some new words) and children of the whales, which feels a lot more intermediate. It’s calm with a good amount of dialogue and some action.

1 Like

I guess it also depends on the particulars of the licensing agreement. Sangatsu no lion does not have Japanese subtitles in the Netflix USA (at least few months ago) but it does have Japanese subtitles on Netflix Japan.

Natsume Yuujinchou is dialogue-heavy, and slice of life so the Japanese is very natural. It’s a very great but relatively calm anime so it shouldn’t be too distracting, but not boring either. Some supernatural vocabulary, and a fair bit of nonstandard Japanese in the episodes that are lighter on the human characters. Mushishi was recommended earlier. In terms of themes/weirdness, I’d call Natsume Yuujinchou Mushishi-lite.

Mob Psycho 100 - zigzags between distracting action/drama and calm scenes that stretch on in a difficult, dialogue-heavy fashion. Not too much in the way of niche vocabulary.

Kaguya-sama: Love is War - Pretty funny short humour series, long stretches of rapid-fire dialogue, but nothing especially over the top.

1 Like

You realize that in general having something on in the background actively makes studying more difficult? Even if it’s in another language, even if you’re not even making an effort to understand, and especially if you are. The myth of multitasking helping with studying has been debunked a thousand times, and fanservice is the least of your worries. Put the screen down and study.

I was not talking about multi-tasking nor do I think multi-tasking is a good idea. The anime is the studying.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.