I'm level 29 and I just now noticed this

If you don’t mind and you have the time to do so… could you please elaborate on this example? this is the first time i run into this mora thing and i know i can deliver myself from my own ignorance using google but i’m asking you because i want an insight.

Thank you, and wow, three runs of wk… that’s too much

A mora is similar to what we would call a syllable in English, but it also includes the ん and the small っ. Basically it’s any single sound or place for a sound in a word in Japanese.

Pitch accent is similar to stress in English, but the specifics are different.

A mora can have a high pitch or a low pitch. The “accent nucleus” of a word is said to be on the mora where the pitch falls from high to low.

本 has two mora, ほ and ん. ほ is high and ん is low, so it falls from high to low on the first mora.

You can read more here.

Yikes! That reminds me of the thing I read once about the author Gabriel García Márquez, (which I have a hard time believing) that every time he made a typo when writing a novel, he’d tear that page out of the typewriter and start that page over.

I understand, thank you!

Heh, oops!

Quite the motivation. :smiley:

What additional stuff will you learn during your third run? (If you decided already)

The second one (currently) is “normal”. The third one (next one) will be the pitch accent one. But I can imagine other things like answering with Japanese definitions instead of English words. It would have to be romaji though.

That sounds so much more difficult on a technical level! There are so many definitions for any particular word, how will you manage that?

Well, the same way that right now I just go with “book” for 本 while ignoring that it can also mean “script” (like for a play), I’ll just pick a common definition and use that.

Best of luck with that when the time comes! :hugs:

yeah it is, pretty sure ‘lacky’ is also acceptable :stuck_out_tongue:
shortened form of ‘elastic’

You may be interested in this userscript that displays pitch accent over the vocabulary: [Userscript] WaniKani Pitch Info

it could be an older term… I’ve not heard it for a while but felt like it would be easier than typing 'rubber band" by 1 letter :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m from Perth and have always known them as 'lacky bands. Yet another great example of Australians Aussies abbreviating anything they can!

My favourite use for the synonym addition feature is to rename some of the “radicals”, especially the ones which are a kanji (looking at you 付) so that I don’t have to remember an arbitrary new name after the first review.

good to know!

tbh i don’t use radical mnemonics that much which is probably why i fail sometimes, but maybe i should, and yeah i sometimes get annoyed when i know the kanji meaning but it has nothing to do with the radical

They’re called elastic bands in Britain/Ireland as well, so it makes sense that it would have been exported to Australia.

Wow, you’re amazing. Thank you

I tend to add british spelling as synonyms (I wish the Crabigator did me a favour and added them automatically).
I’m also used to typing proper typographic apostrophes so I add them (like for kun’yomi and on’yomi… why is there an apostrophe in there I don’t know).
I’m sorely tempted to add “whatever baseball” to all baseball terms. I have no knowledge of this sport so most terms are very obscure to me.
I see from @vargsvans post that there are military grades too… This will be fun.