I'm level 29 and I just now noticed this

Wait… does it not? I can’t think of any specific examples where I’ve had to add a British spelling :thinking:

I don’t know what this is supposed to mean.

EDIT: To clarify, I do understand why people use the apostrophes, but I don’t see why it would be considered “proper”. There’s no single romaji standard.

A typewriter apostrophe is a vertical line: ’
A typographic apostrophe is curly: ’
The typographic apostrophe is considered the proper way of adding apostrophes to english words.

My bracketed remark was about the use of apostrophes by Wanikani for kun’yomi and on’yomi. Why add an apostrophe in the “english” version of these words?

Favor on level 37 is one. You’ll get there soon!

They both look some amount of curly to me, but eh.

It’s just one way of doing romaji for loanwords. You see it on Wikipedia as well. There’s a logical reason behind it (to prevent confusion about the original kana) but yeah.

I didn’t realize you were complaining about something even less meaningful.

Ahaha, well I look forward to it :wink:

Everything I’ve noticed so far has definitely had the British spellings already provided as synonyms though, to be fair to them. I will send in an email if I find it’s still missing when I get there!

2 Likes

There are quite a few apostrophes in WK. “One o’clock” for example. If I answer a review on my iPhone it auto-corrects to a typographic apostrophe and WK says something was a little off. Interestingly, in most cases if you omit the apostrophe, WK doesn’t see the error. But it does for “onyomi and kunyomi” as a meaning of 音訓.

For those interested who didn’t get it already, the apostrophe in kun’yomi and on’yomi is there to indicate how the mora are divided. It’s KUN YO MI (oops) KU N YO MI, not KU NYO MI. It’s from the Revised Hepburn system of romanization.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info! And I guess they are added only to words where the division is possible in several ways? Thus you don’t need them in “keigo”?

You only need them in romaji where there’s ambiguity. The level of formality doesn’t really have anything to do with it.

Yeah, they mean, why doesn’t WK put any apostrophes into the word “keigo”. It’s because as they said, the apostrophes only disambiguate things that could be read multiple ways, and keigo is unambiguously けいご

Just found two more at level 40: Neighbor and honor…

2 Likes

also, if you add an apostrophe after typing an n it will change it to ん(in wanikani at least, but it’s still easier to just hit n twice)

Would be great if Wanikani provided a pitch accent guide, similar to kaniwani’s.

1 Like

There’s a userscript called WaniKani Pitch Info that adds this.

that sucks, at level 17 they have “honour” 光栄 i mean it says honor in the main one, but they’ve listed honour as well, i guess they got slack after doing so many levels and the british spelling disappeared

Or people just complain here but don’t let them know.

I guarantee they’ll add it if you send an email.

Presumably they never had any of the British spellings originally, since it’s a site made by Americans.

bwahaha. It wasn’t until level 23 that I noticed that the mnemonic stories were worded based on the kanji stroke order.

I rarely used the mnemonics and just memorized the kanji visually because the story seemed a bit random because of how it was worded now I know it was to follow the stroke order lol.

Yes, I remember seeing a comment a while back that implied they’d added them in response to feedback emails.

I fully intend to email them with any I find when I get up there.

3 Likes

Um… in my experience Japanese people really have a hard time understanding Japanese written in romaji. Think how you’d do with a paragraph in English but written in katakana.

カンユーリードジスイジリ?

Much easier if you could at least learn to write in hiragana.

My 2¢

1 Like

イェス

But in all seriousness, @Kimo, it’d take you at most a week to learn hiragana. It’s not that hard. Plus, they often seem to be impressed when I can write my name in katakana. :slightly_smiling_face: