I'm a litle confused about 気

Hello. I’ve been wondering for a while now about this inconsistency on WK. So the meanings of the kanji 気 here are Energy and Spirit. Meanings for vocab 気 for some reason Spirit and Energy. But most importantly that I looked it up on jisho.org, tangorin.com, romajidesu.com and seems like 気 doesn’t have a meaning “energy” at all.

Intersting…

the link you gave has this:

Qi is energy

It’s more like this definition of energy

“a person’s physical and mental powers”

Than this one

“power derived from the utilization of physical or chemical resources, especially to provide light and heat or to work machines”

In monolingual definitions of 気, you might see that listed as 心のはたらき

BTW, all three of those sites use the same database for kanji info… so it’s not 3 resources that don’t list energy, it’s one.

2 Likes

Yeah in CHINESE. I looked up on 5-6 sites and nowhere it means energy

Have you found the resourse where 気 means energy?

I connected the dots there, from 心のはたらき to the definition of energy I mentioned. But, if you want, I can spend some time looking for a site that lists energy in English.

Just have to find one that doesn’t use the exact same free kanji database as all the others as a first step…

Just curious, since you accept that it means “spirit,” right? And energy can be a synonym of spirit… in the sense I was talking about… but anyway.

Is it more important to see the word “energy” somewhere else, or to understand what the meaning of the kanji is outside of how you choose to translate it?

1 Like

There you go:

Please don’t nitpick that it’s “vital energy” instead of just “energy”.

3 Likes

Another one without nitpicking JLPT N5 Kanji: 気 | Learn the 100 Most Essential Kanji in Japanese

2 Likes

:smiling_imp:

2 Likes

I think what is important to keep in mind is that it’s hard to boil down all the possible definitions of 気 to the one or two english words that wanikani needs for its system. Wanikani often tries to find some commonality between all the different possible meanings. In the end you will get a better idea of the true meaning of the kanji through the vocabulary that contain it.

Also, I like this kanji dictionary website when I want more information on a particular Kanji 「気」の部首・画数・読み方・筆順・意味など (Though it’s in Japanese only) The one of the definitions is 元気。活力。人間の活動力のもととなるもの。

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.