Idea for a new extension

I always find that I am so used to Anki that I am constantly forgetting to play the audio after I get the vocab right.  Why doesn’t someone create an extension to automatically (or automagically >.>) play the audio when you get a word right?  I think that would be awesome. 

Bonus points for making it a userscript! (Yes I use firefox- and let’s not start a flame war, unless someone says they use Internet Explorer)

I don’t have any active reviews so I can’t try this, but supposing you have jquery:

$(‘audio’)[0].play()

or

document.getElementsByTagName(‘audio’)[0].play()

You would need to bind that to play on succes. When I have some reviews up, I can play with it.

This would be awesome. I always wanted the audio to play automatically.  Usually I don’t bother with the shift L and actually it stopped working lately for me anyway so no audio for me.  :(. (On laptop anyway, not sure of phone or iPad)

Next version of reviews will either make it easier to play audio or have an option for auto-play. That being said, auto-playing could potentially increase our AWS fees by a decent amount. It would certainly be off by default, if we do this. Personally, I’m leaning towards making it easier to play audio (single button shortcut key, for example). Not all items have audio and right now audio’s way on the backburner for me (I think we’re at level 20 with audio? or something?), so I don’t want to implement auto-play if there isn’t audio for most items, otherwise it’d just be sort of like “aw, no audio for this one, aw, no audio for this one too,” etc., and be perceived as disappointing for people :frowning:

chedkid said... I don't have any active reviews so I can't try this, but supposing you have jquery:

$('audio')[0].play()

or

document.getElementsByTagName('audio')[0].play()

You would need to bind that to play on succes. When I have some reviews up, I can play with it.
 Thanks!  I'll be sure to try it when I have some reviews too! (If I can figure it out XD)

koichi said... Next version of reviews will either make it easier to play audio or have an option for auto-play. That being said, auto-playing could potentially increase our AWS fees by a decent amount. It would certainly be off by default, if we do this. Personally, I'm leaning towards making it easier to play audio (single button shortcut key, for example). Not all items have audio and right now audio's way on the backburner for me (I think we're at level 20 with audio? or something?), so I don't want to implement auto-play if there isn't audio for most items, otherwise it'd just be sort of like "aw, no audio for this one, aw, no audio for this one too," etc., and be perceived as disappointing for people :(
 A single button shortcut would be nice.  And don't worry about not having the audio for everything, you guys are doing an awesome job with the site!

Here’s a user script that will auto-play sound as you review. The only catch is that it plays regardless of whether you answer correctly or not:

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/154701

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I’m not really using audio right now, so I’m kind of neutral here. But I can see that some people would enjoy this.
Maybe when that part of the site is completed (like Koichi said) the choice of auto-playing or not would be nice.