I was having trouble distinguishing between certain Hiragana, so I made this chart!

I took some screenshots from this video and rearranged the Hiragana characters that I thought seemed similar next to each other horizontally and vertically.

11 Likes

Is the point of this post to ask for advice distinguishing them/learning hira?

5 Likes

It definitely gets a lot easier with practice. Keep at it :fist:

Wait till you see some of the katakana :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

Did I say something wrong?

4 Likes

Maybe your question felt intimidating :man_shrugging:

Sometimes it happens.

6 Likes

Ah I didnt mean to and I hope OP didnt take it that way. I just wanted to know if they wanted advice or encouragement.

Edit: I can see now how I possibly phrased it in a way that might sound judgemental, so let me try again.

I can see why it would be confusing at first, but it gets easier to the point you dont even think about it! Would you like to hear what I did to learn hiragana?

9 Likes

Hopefully OP will post again, the people on the forum are very nice.

9 Likes

I took it more as OP offering it up in case others were also having trouble distinguishing them, since seeing them side by side highlights the differences well. ^^

Don’t worry about a thing, @AreYouChasingMe ^^ Hope you’re doing well! :wave:

15 Likes

@AreYouChasingMe Other beginners will find your post helpful, so please edit again to revert to the original.

Also, hello and welcome to the forums :grinning:

11 Likes

I forget sometimes, but welcoming people when it says it’s their first post is always a good idea.

12 Likes

Haha, you didn’t say anything wrong, @IzCreature, but it just made me reflect on my post and decide I didn’t need to leave it up. I figured most people here are doing fine with their Hiragana studies.

@Omun is right though. That is what I was doing. :sweat_smile: Thank you for the encouragement!

And thank you, @Rowena, for the encouragement as well. Since people didn’t ignore the post, I will indeed fix it! :slight_smile:

I partially made this post to test out the posting functionality of the forum anyway. But I definitely did not expect everyone to be this friendly, so I appreciate that!

I realized you can’t delete a post, but I didn’t want to clutter up the forum with an unnecessary post, so I just flagged it as off-topic and edited in a way I thought would prevent people from viewing it. I ended up getting a warm welcome instead! Haha

And yes, I would like to hear what you did to learn about Hiragana, @IzCreature. I’ll take any pointers I can get!

Thanks everyone!

13 Likes

Can confirm! The more you read the easier it gets. It will eventually becomes as easy as reading latin alphabet.

4 Likes

I recently started confusing れ with ね, especially when there is a る in the mix somewhere. I guess tiredness + me paying less attention the easier reading becomes. Or my latent dyslexia kicking in again :stuck_out_tongue: .

The chart looks like a great idea! What I think also helps is being able to associate characters with specific stroke orders more tightly so one’s less likely to confuse them.

3 Likes

One of the things that helped me is play around with drag and drop apps. Changing the font style is also a good challenge as you can see what gets to be preserved under deformations.

2 Likes

yeah, you have to learn hiragana as fast as possible and as good as you can

2 Likes

And for anyone still new to hiragana, during reviews WK also offers a hiragana chart if something is slipping your mind. It includes the info for small characters, or the ー in words like ビー玉

6 Likes

Ah I see what you were doing now, and it is a valuable resource!

This was quite some time ago so my memory might not be perfect (or as emotionally attached to the struggle,) but I believe my main method was to find a chart with stroke order and draw the whole chart over and over. If you plan to do any hand writing, stroke order is important!

There was also a poem I found that has every hira in it. I started writing that once I got very bored of chsrt drills.

I also practicing saying each character as I wrote it!

But I think one of the things that made ir really stick was seeing hira in use and reading it in sentences. I was using duolingo at the time, but I cant really reccomend that now. Lingodeer is a good alternative, or level 0 graded readers and a dictionary.

2 Likes

Welcome, WELCOME to this beautiful community!! :confetti_ball: :partying_face:

Thanks for sharing, keep practicing and you’ll get very, berry, used to hiragana and katakana… and of course kanji!!! Good luck with your studies!!! 頑張ってね!!

4 Likes

And welcome to you as well, @klashy !!!

3 Likes

Thank you! :blush:

2 Likes