I want to ask a Japanese foreign exchange friend out

As the title states I want to ask a girl out in her native tongue. We talk in Japanese quite a bit she helps me along a lot and I help her with her english occasionally, but I’d like to ask this right the first time so she doesn’t have to decipher it.

We both love sushi so I want to asked her to go eat sushi with me sometime.

一緒に寿司を食べたいですか?

That is what I have come up with because it doesn’t use any vocab or grammar I am unfamiliar with.

Would this be an awkward way to ask this? Would she even understand what I’m asking?

:crab::crocodile:

9 Likes

おぉ!相棒、ラーメン食いに行こうぜぇ

I’ll let someone else answer seriously, as I don’t have any experience

14 Likes

一緒に寿司を食べたいですか?

This is fine , I think it would sound better if you used 食べよう.

I would be cautious about asking someone out at a language exchange though, I often go to them and if people think you are there just to meet girls they may not let you back. It seems like you have known her for awhile though and it will probably be okay.

6 Likes

(明日に)寿司を食べませんか?

If you wanna be so formal. You can also just let it flow naturally:

ー ねえ、寿司を食べたい?
ー うん
ー 一緒に行こう。。。?
ー うん
ー 明日はどう?
ー うん

Though that’s just me assuming she doesn’t remember how to say anything but “un”.

6 Likes

I would not use the たい form but something like
一緒に寿司を食べに行きませんか

6 Likes

食べたいですか? sounds a bit strange. They usually say it like 食べませんか?

or,
食べに行きませんか?

3 Likes

Another alternative to sound humble/mindful.

都合が良かったら、一緒に寿司を食べに行ったらどうですか

3 Likes

I don’t think he’s planning to ask out the emperor.

20 Likes

Really not that honorific, I’ve used a similar expression back and forth with conversation partners.

Of course he could hit her over the head, drag her by the hair and scream “Sushi”! Mission accomplished!

19 Likes

^best advice yet

5 Likes

Prison is but a social construct. The cell is just a room.

10 Likes

This is the only sensible thing to do.

3 Likes

I can dream right?

3 Likes

I asked my wife out with my phrase and she rejected my date offer and yelled at me. :tired_face:

Here was her advice:

もしよければ、お寿司を一緒に食べに
行きませんか?(professional)
行かない?(friend)
行こうよ!(close friend)

Grammar advice doesn’t come free so we expect outcome details. A photo like this will also suffice. Good luck!

10 Likes

Thanks for all the advice. I’ll let you guys know how it goes. I’m planning on asking sometime next week.

1 Like

She said no :tired_face:
She asked when and I told her this weekend then she told me she had an appointment.

On the bright side WaniKani sent me a free sticker.

It came with a hand written note :heart_eyes: WaniKani is awesome.

4 Likes

I’m sorry to hear. However, with a cool sticker and note I’d say you came out ahead (certainly better than a bad date).

I have no idea on your circumstances, but I’ve met several women who do language exchange and who have shared their negative experiences of partners using it like a dating website. Even Japanese language meet-ups have usually have strict rules about this. Not to say you did anything wrong but unfortunately others don’t have learning a second language as their primary goal and it’s not reciprocated.

1 Like

Bummer, but much better than regretting never having asked.

1 Like

Well I think it might be time to reconsider some of the other advice in this topic…

3 Likes

We are just classmates in college.