I need some help

Yes, but then you wouldn’t be “burning” them, you’d just be learning, but I get what you mean.

But this is exactly what I mean. I was referring to 学, I had trouble remembering “study”, and I put wrong english words in. I’m saying after all the vocab I’ve done I have a better understanding of the abstract meaning of 学, than WankiKani can quiz me on with the single english word “study.”

If I see 学 in the wild, the knowledge that you use this kanji in student, school, scholar, and “ology”, is way more useful than remembering the english word “study”. When actually you don’t even use this kanji for 勉強する, which actually means study. :man_shrugging:

We might not agree of this but just my observation, that I learn meanings better through new vocab, than a hundred kanji reviews.

2 Likes

It’s usually the latter. You can definitely learn those Kanji in three months if you were cramming for an exam, but you’d be hard pressed to recall the majority of them a year later.

Wanikani’s advantage is that it’s much better for long term recall to use an SRS system. But even then, the knowledge will deteriorate unless you actively use it by reading.

4 Likes

In English actually the word study is also more abstract, as it is in Japanese. You can add your own user synonyms to kanji meanings, though, if you feel a more accurate gloss is needed, or even in your native language. But in its root ‘ology’ basically means ‘the study of’.

I agree.

I think we’re talking past each other at this point. I’d say we are both happy with our own understanding of this topic. I’m not sure we are adding much to Geoff’s understanding with this back and forth.

Good day, sir, I respect your intelligence, and I am complete here. Till next time.

2 Likes

As people well explained the technicalities of how leveling up on WK works I’m gonna skip over that and just toss in my own impressions about the actual learning.

If you can not do the lessons faster than WK gives you, which is the case for most people, then i suggest you do the lessons in the order WK hands them to you in your own pace and focus on vocab over kanji. From my experience i can recall kanji that are accompanied by a lot of vocab word easier than those that come with very little, when it comes to recognition outside of WK.
Most of the WK speedrunners use a reorder script so they can do the radicals and kanji as soon as they level up. But this is only recommended if you can finish the remaining vocab before your next level up.

As repetition is the key to practice, i found that while 40 kanji are at first easier to remember than 125 vocab, in the long run 125 vocab that are build from 40-50 kanji have more impact on actually recognizing words when processing natural language.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.