I don't understand leveling

I started like 3 days ago and i have 6 radicals in guru and 7 in master, how that works, how is it even posible xd, and i have 18 kanji in apprentice and i don’t know how to level up to guru tbh.
Can someone help me? ty

1 Like

Welcome to the forms @Maikel21! I’d highly recommend you go here https://knowledge.wanikani.com, it’ll answer everything you need to know with the Spaced Repetition System. Check out the onboarding series.

As far as your question goes. The first 3 levels of WK are at a much slower pace, in order to get you comfortable with their process. Items move from SRS levels upon answering incorrectly/correctly during reviews when they come up.

3 Likes

Oh, i did not saw that sorry, but past guru level you have to fill the bar again?

1 Like

You’ll move onto each level after you’ve filled the bar under each kanji. Then, on the next level, you’ll fill in the bars for the kanji for that particular level. I.E. On level 1. You’ll fill the bars under each kanji and then level up (after passing the required amount). Then you’ll see new kanji in level 2. And you’ll do the same process. Hopefully this is clear?

After you’ve gone through the official Wanikani FAQs. Check out this guide: My Journey of 368 days (+ The Ultimate Guide for WK :open_book: )

3 Likes

As far as your question goes. The first 3 levels of WK are at a much slower pace, in order to get you comfortable with their process.

This is wrong: the first levels are faster (like the fast levels in the 40s, 50s) :slight_smile:

Edit: check also Omuns and Leebos answer

5 Likes

After you’ve guru’d 90% of the kanji of the current level you move onto the next one. Getting the kanjis/radicals to SRS level beyond Guru I does not affect the leveling system. And you do not drop levels if you fail the review (after getting it once to Guru I) so don’t worry about that.

And you are a member since April, so I assume you did some radicals back then? Because even in fast levels, getting a new item to master takes more than 3 days :slight_smile:

2 Likes

it’s worth noting that there are 4 reviews for Apprentice, 2 for Guru, 1 for Master, 1 for Enlightened and then you have a chance to burn the item.

You can read about the SRS stages here: :slight_smile: (especially the timings can be good to know and plan for)

2 Likes

Fast levels are fast for a slightly different reason.

1 and 2 have SRS intervals cut in half. The late fast levels are fast because the reduced number of radicals means all kanji are unlocked upon leveling
^^

7 Likes

Our guy @jprspereira got your back, man. Definitely check out the guide linked by @Aralakh

2 Likes

The SRS timings are fast for 1 and 2, but the word “pace” is ambiguous. It’s generally understood that the start of WK feels gentle and not overwhelming. So they feel slow to many people, despite the timings.

3 Likes

Well put. It’s perhaps why I wrote down “slower”, as that was based off my subjective recollection.

1 Like

Ah yes, thank you for clearifying, I should have said it like that in my post :slight_smile:

1 Like

Edited my answer a bit since I misunderstood your intention for writing “slow” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it possible to have things in master after 3 days? Sounds either mistaken or a bug. Isnt it something like 2 weeks to master with no mistakes?

They joined back in April, so maybe they signed up, did some stuff for a while, left, and then came back again 3 days ago.

1 Like

there will be no bar for the kanji once you’ve gotten to guru and leveled up. Instead on the next level you’ll see new kanji to fill up a bar on.

The old kanji will come back, but even if you get it wrong and it falls to apprentice again, there will still be no bar, and the old kanji, radical, or vocab will have no affect on your current level.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.