"I don't know" button

Plain and simple, is there an extension which adds a button to hit in case I just don’t know the answer?

I kinda understand the point of not having a button like that, since it forces you to think about the answer and try to remember it, but sometimes I really just have no idea and have to input some one-character kana to fill in for the answer, and I feel like that can screw me over in the long run if I do it too many times.

I’d really like to just hit a button and have the thing register as wrong instead of manually inputting a wrong answer every time (preferrably something that works with the WaniKani phone app, my preferred platform of reviews nowadays). Thanks in advance!

???

i don’t see why this is necessary, just typing in a wrong answer is fine too. if you’re scared about accidentally typing the right reading or something, type in ん because nothing has that reading…

i developed the habit to always type “ka” when i don’t know the word :smiley:

It’s not necessary. It’s just more convenient. 

This may sound like a frugal thing, but it’s the difference between three and two presses: not really anything special, just nice to have. I don’t really know how to explain the reading any better: I don’t want to type something that’s wrong on purpose to get the right answer because I feel like that might be a bad habit to form.

ShotgunLagoon said... ????

i don't see why this is necessary, just typing in a wrong answer is fine too. if you're scared about accidentally typing the right reading or something, type in ん because nothing has that reading..
 I used to type あ when I didn't know the word. Then I did that to 合. I don't use あ anymore.

I believe the fear is that when typing in the wrong answer multiple times, it becomes associated with it. For example, typing か when you don’t know multiple times, eventually you might associate the kanji with か.

I just type っっっ

Z-man said... I believe the fear is that when typing in the wrong answer multiple times, it becomes associated with it. For example, typing か when you don't know multiple times, eventually you might associate the kanji with か.
 yeah, but this problem is solved if you just don't use a viable reading, like syphus's っor my ん.

@sylvonus
haha yeah i used to type き but then i accidently ended up guruing a kanji i didn't know at all so i switched to ん.
ShotgunLagoon said... yeah, but this problem is solved if you just don't use a viable reading, like syphus's っor my ん.
 I don't understand how っ or  ん are any better than any other readings. True enough, they are never by themselves, but they're still syllabaries that can be recognized and read, and thus create a footprint inside of your head just as much as any other reading.

The point is moot anyway, part of what I want is to not have to input a reading at all, no matter how simple it is.

Yeah, a button would be nice.
But then people would complain because they inadvertently pressed it.
And then they would ask for a “are you sure?” window.
And then…

ok, how about this? instead of consciously entering in ん, pretend that pressing ‘n’+enter is the keyboard shortcut to say you don’t know the reading? tbh, i doubt they’re going to implement what you’re asking for because
1) most people don’t want or need it
2) there’s lots of other things that people do want and repeatedly ask for
3) koichi and the team are pretty picky about the kind of stuff they add to wanikani, and this is definitely not going to pass the test.

sorry? i don’t mean to sound rude or anything, but yeah.

mine is always や because 屋 and 矢 are words i already know so I can’t think of any others I’d get right by accident so far;

Also, yes, button is pretty much useless. Might as well ask for one that autotypes in fhjfhjksdhjkashkf and enters it for you because it’s the same thing.
Although, I can see it like “hey I type this thing because I don’t know it so now I accidentally memorized it as if its the right answer but its not.”, but in that case just type some garbage that’ll never be right like こういち :wink:

ShotgunLagoon said... ok, how about this? instead of consciously entering in ん, pretend that pressing 'n'+enter is the keyboard shortcut to say you don't know the reading? tbh, i doubt they're going to implement what you're asking for because
Not good enough; pretending doesn't make the deliberate mistake disappear, it only makes it more apparent in my view.

ShotgunLagoon said...1) most people don't want or need it
 I mean...

I want it. A kinda improbable proposition without any demand besides mine for it, but I'm still interested.

ShotgunLagoon said...2) there's lots of other things that people do want and repeatedly ask for
 So my request isn't any more valid than the others then? If people want other things, fine, and naturally they may even take precedent over mine. But all the requests can exist at once and at that point, the suggestion is out there for someone interested in taking it.

ShotgunLagoon said...3) koichi and the team are pretty picky about the kind of stuff they add to wanikani, and this is definitely not going to pass the test.
 I'm sorry, I don't think I've made my intentions sufficiently clear in the OP: I don't actually expect the WaniKani team to comply to this, seeing as how the button is still not on the vanilla program itself. What I want is to pique the interest of a freelancer who thinks the idea warrants a go.

Seeing as how other people make suggestions on the forum and how comparatively simple my request was (I really don't imagine something like this being very complicated to implement, but I may be very wrong here), I thought I'd give it a shot.

ShotgunLagoon said...sorry? i don't mean to sound rude or anything, but yeah.
 I don't think you're being rude or anything, we're conversing like human beings. You're offering suggestions, I'm defending my idea.

My tone may pass as a bit rude though, but that's just rhetoric online, I guess.

I understand what you mean. I would want it. When I look at a kanji, I think “What have I previously typed before for this?” Trying to harness the physical memory of my fingers on the keyboard. Is it shi? No, I think I just typed that to be wrong… I can’t remember. 

I’ll probably just type nn for a wrong answer now, but I wish I had a button too. 

OSad said...
ShotgunLagoon said... yeah, but this problem is solved if you just don't use a viable reading, like syphus's っor my ん.
 I don't understand how っ or  ん are any better than any other readings. True enough, they are never by themselves, but they're still syllabaries that can be recognized and read, and thus create a footprint inside of your head just as much as any other reading.

Well for one, "ん" is not a valid word or pronunciation by itself. Also, please tell me how you read: っっっbecause that is not pronounced as anything. 

But anyway, there's plenty of reason to not have this, so the answer is either a script or that. 

LOL… I just type “idunno”.  It works for hiragana and english, and IME doesn’t have any creative suggestions to replace it with.

idunno
いづんお

just checking, you want items you don’t know the answers to to be treated just like items you answer incorrectly, right? like, show up again in the review session until you answer it correctly, then bumped down a few SRS levels?

basically, i think the reason this isn’t going to happen, not even from third party scripts, is because it doesn’t really add anything significant to the site. like if you want to be able to kick something out of your review queue and back to the lessons, that’s something different, that could change the functionality of the site. having everything you got wrong or didn’t know the answer to show up at the very end of the review session instead of thrown back into the random queue? also something new that changes things. but adding a little button that marks answers as incorrect literally saves you like 1 keystroke (assuming you’re asking for a keyboard shortcut, not a physical button to click on screen) and wouldn’t be adding something new that isn’t already basically there, if in another form.

urgh i don’t know if i’m explaining this well, i feel like i’m coming off as condescending or rude or something and that’s not what it is. 

i’m not saying that your suggestion is less valid than anyone else’s. i think there may be a slightly related userscript that basically lets you manually mark answers wrong if they’re accepted due to wk allowing spelling errors, but that’s not exactly what you want either. i don’t know, i just don’t think it’s going to happen?

Syphus said... Well for one, "ん" is not a valid word or pronunciation by itself. 
 I did mention it's never by itself.

Syphus said...Also, please tell me how you read: っっっbecause that is not pronounced as anything. 
Yeah, I guess the っ has no real pronunciation of itself. But typing it, at least on a keyboard with roman characters, requires you to press one of the relevant consonants twice, which in the end just leaves me with an extra button press and a step in the opposite direction.

ShotgunLagoon said... just checking, you want items you don't know the answers to to be treated just like items you answer incorrectly, right? like, show up again in the review session until you answer it correctly, then bumped down a few SRS levels?
 Precisely. Just to clarify, a button somewhere on the page (preferably with a keyboard shortcut, which I can then just press instead of reaching for my mouse if I'm at my computer), that marks the answer as wrong. I can then choose to look up the kanji or vocab info right then or there as normal, or quickly press the button again (or Enter, I guess) to go forwards with some other ulterior motive (for example, if I think I can figure out the reading of the kanji but don't want to get too hung up on it for now).

The main point of the button/shortcut is definitely to not have to type anything ambiguous as an answer though, that's the bone I'm picking on here.

ん ought to work and never accidentally be correct.

OSad said...
Syphus said... Well for one, "ん" is not a valid word or pronunciation by itself. 
 I did mention it's never by itself.

Syphus said...Also, please tell me how you read: っっっbecause that is not pronounced as anything. 
Yeah, I guess the っ has no real pronunciation of itself. But typing it, at least on a keyboard with roman characters, requires you to press one of the relevant consonants twice, which in the end just leaves me with an extra button press and a step in the opposite direction.

If you just type it and nothing else it'll show up, I typed っっっ by hitting nothing but "t" a few times and backspacing on the last "t" so you don't even need to type a full anything. I suppose you could also use  Also now that I thought about it, you could also type を which will never be an answer or if you really wanted to get fancy some IMEs give ゐ and ゑ and options.