Hunter × Hunter 🐸 (Absolute Beginner Book Club) - Starting on the 27th of August

Thanks, I’ll try a paper copy. Maybe it’ll also be hard to read but I think I’ll enjoy a physical copy more.

2 Likes

I’m tempted to order from CD Japan as I don’t want the fuss of setting up another Amazon account. But thanks for pointing out the potential import tax issue. If anyone knows more about that I’d be keen to hear before I place my order. The book itself is very cheap, the shipping is not unreasonable, but the tax might make it just that bit too expensive to really be worth it. Then again I’d have no excuse not to read it if I’d paid extra for it…

1 Like

Some pretty boring Google searching suggests that books don’t have import tax in the UK. So that’s a win

1 Like

I thought the furigana was a bit tricky to read with
Spy Family on Bookwalker, then I got a paper copy and had to use a magnifying glass to try to read it!

2 Likes

I do have a Japanese Amazon account, but it tells you physical items cannot be purchased. Unsure if it is the same for the UK. I get the following message:

We are unable to ship non-digital items from amazon.co.jp to Australian shipping addresses.

1 Like

Must be different trade agreements going on, then, eh? It works fine in Canada and the US.

For the Europeans amongst us, I recommend Verasia for physical manga! The shipping is cheap, and there is a ton of manga to choose from (though things go out of stock from time to time. They also have ton of other books besides manga, and some non-book things as well.

9 Likes

I’m excited for this! It’ll be my first time reading along with this club (or any proper native content) and definitely happy to see this manga picked!

9 Likes

Thank you for the tip, just ordered the book to join in.

3 Likes

This is my first time actively engaging in the wanikani forums!
It will also be the first book i read in japanese that is not newborn baby-level.
I just ordered a physical copy, hopefully it will arrive on time.
Overall I’m very exited!!

8 Likes

My Hunter X Hunter arrived and it’s in English :sweat_smile:

Think I’ll just buy the digital copy…

5 Likes

Well, any worries about motivation are out the window. The 2011 reboot is one of my all-time favorite anime, so I’m so excited to have this be the first book club I join! (((o(*゚▽゚*)o)))

8 Likes

Oof, that is a shame. Is there a link that still points to an English version somewhere that we need to remove? I’m fairly certain that has been caught already, but I want to be sure! Or did you order it from somewhere else?

1 Like

Nah I’m just an idiot and assumed that kinokunia only sold things in Japanese. I’ll use it to help translating it. When we are done I’ll give it to my 12 year old cousin who’s really into comics but hasn’t delved into manga yet. Lucky him!

11 Likes

Just ordered via amazon! :tada:

Shipping aside, I’m actually impressed by how cheap new books are at amazon Japan, especially textbooks. The Minna no Nihongo ones were way cheaper there than all the “cheap” bundle versions I looked into hahaha

Also, 4 day shipping? (Japan → Mexico) I’m crossing my fingers nothing will go wrong, all of this has been going suspiciously smooth so far. :thinking:

(The catch is probably on me getting hooked on a manga which is constantly going on hiatus :upside_down_face:)

5 Likes

Oof, good luck on the Mexico portion of the delivery. My friend orders stuff from Asia all the time, and the best possible outcome is that it arrives a bit late. But if you paid for 4 day shipping, it might be fine.

2 Likes

what can I say, I played with open cards :joy:

4 Likes

He’s recently been working on it again and posted some stuff on twitter.

6 Likes

I almost never have problems when I order via Amazon or get stuff sent via DHL (as long as I pay tracking, otherwise I’m doomed) but God forbid the Mexican post office gets involved. That’s just a death sentence on your things. Arriving a bit late is 100% best case scenario, and I live in a big city :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I know! I’m so excited!!!
Then again… looking at the chart below just gives me anxiety :melting_face:

4 Likes