Hunter × Hunter 🐸 (Absolute Beginner Book Club) - Starting on the 27th of August

That’s neat, it’s reassuring, that you don’t need to be very high level to know most kanji (and tbh, knowing the kanji is the least of the issues when reading imo)

2 Likes

Week 3 thread up!
Welcome to the short weeks. 8-9 pages a week. From now on, this will be the norm until we get to the final rush. Use this time to catch up if you haven’t and get used to the writing style of the manga. If you’ve felt like the book is just out of your reach, don’t worry, it will be easier for a bit!

8 Likes

Week 4 thread is up!

5 Likes

Week 5 is ready!

5 Likes

Week 6 just so happens to coincide neatly with the read every day challenge!

5 Likes

And we’ve gotten to week 7! This one is lighter on text

4 Likes

Week 8 is now upon us. Sorry for the slight delay, forgot that yesterday was Friday :joy:. Last week before the speed is increased.

3 Likes

Week 9 thread is ready with the pace finally doubling!

3 Likes

I am crying out of happiness. Hunterxhunter is my all time favorite. I just bought the first 2 volumes and hopefully reaching you guys before you finish the whole thing. You made a really good job making the vocabulary list and the grammar points. I watched the anime like 4 four times before and watching again at the moment. I am still crying btw.

7 Likes

I would love to read this manga. I’m super late though, so is there any chance you’ll be continuing on with the second one?

2 Likes

Most book clubs get offshoot clubs to continue on for those interested in it (and wanting to keep the book club format). I personally can’t as I have another book club lined up after this, but if anyone is feeling like continuing onwards in 3 weeks + some rest time, do apply!

2 Likes

Week 10 thread is live, with a bit of a delay (sorry, been busy with life). Good reading, peeps!

3 Likes

I have finished volume 1 and started volume 2, if anyone would be interested in making an offshoot bookclub.

2 Likes

2 weeks left (gotta start preparing the next book club), good reading!

3 Likes

I’m in! I only just started reading, but I already know the series and know that I like it, so I definitely intend on reading all of the books!

4 Likes

Ye same I watched the anime a while back with twitch chat, so I know what’s roughly going on in the chapters etc. Idk how the forum stuff works but I guess we can think about that when the book club has ended.

1 Like

Hi! I came very late to the party, nevertheless I’d love to read with you the next book on the absolute beginner club… I’m new to wanikani forums, how I’m I sure to know when the next book is going to be read?

3 Likes

I don’t think there has been a date decided yet, but it’s either 2 or 3 weeks after this one, so I’d guess end of november, beginning of december. I actually just asked this question in the main thread

2 Likes

Let’s finish this. Great 3 months we had, huh?

I’ll be uploading some polls later on to get some feedback.

5 Likes

And the book club is officially finished! Thanks everyone for participating, even if conversation was a tad bit nonexistant :joy:

Before I continue on, I would like to ask, if anyone would be willing to lead an offshoot club. I’ll post a poll about this a bit below to measure interest.

As promised, here are a few polls, to check how everyone liked the book and how difficult it was.

How did you like the book in general?

• It was great!
  • I enjoyed it
  • It was readable
  • Wasn’t the best
  • It was terrible

0 voters

Difficulty-wise, what do you think of the book?

• It was way above what I could read
  • I managed with some difficulty
  • It was around my level
  • It was somewhat easy
  • It was way too easy

0 voters

Did the grammar sheet (at least as far as it was filled out) help?

• Absolutely
  • Checked on it from time to time
  • Not at all
  • Haven’t used it

0 voters

Would you be interested in an offshoot club?

• Yes
  • No
  • Depends on the time

0 voters

As a quick aside, if you thought, that this whole reading thing was great, check out the next book club in line for Cells at Work!! starting on the 29th!

6 Likes