Humble Request: Wanikani to Anki with Audio Files

I thought it would be best to create a topic for this, since I guess many people will find it very useful. 
Basically I need something like the current Wanikani To Anki Exporters, but with the added function of extracting the audio from the vocabs and putting them into the Anki deck as well. That way I could practice my listening recognition, as well as my production skills; just as the “Core2000” deck works, but with Wanikani Vocab instead. 
I think this way I can cover the only function WaniKani is missing for my personal needs, and make it the ultimate tool for vocab in the next few years. 
Thank you in advance! 

The only way to “export” the audio is to manually download each clip. There is no API to do it automatically. I’d imagine that this is intentional.

And no way to automate the downloading process at least? Doing it by hand is definitely not an option, because it would literally take whole days =.=

MarioRash said... And no way to automate the downloading process at least? Doing it by hand is definitely not an option, because it would literally take whole days =.=
 You could always write a program that scrapes the website itself. It would require your password (instead of just your API key) but should not be technically difficult. I would want permission before publishing something to scrape content from the website though.

What I would like is a script to add vocab found in the wild to my wild vocab deck. It would rip jisho.org for a definition, forvo.com for a pronunciation and alc.co.jp for a sample sentence. Of course giving me choices if multiples show up. So tedious by hand.

AlexAlex said... What I would like is a script to add vocab found in the wild to my wild vocab deck. It would rip jisho.org for a definition, forvo.com for a pronunciation and alc.co.jp for a sample sentence. Of course giving me choices if multiples show up. So tedious by hand.
Fortunately you can download all the jisho.org definitions from them in xml format in one go - or so I've heard; I haven't done it yet.

There’s an Anki plugin that looks up Japanese audio from various sources. That might be an easy workaround.

AlexAlex said... What I would like is a script to add vocab found in the wild to my wild vocab deck. It would rip jisho.org for a definition, forvo.com for a pronunciation and alc.co.jp for a sample sentence. Of course giving me choices if multiples show up. So tedious by hand.
 There's a method of exporting from Rikaisama (for Firefox) into Anki. You could then use one of the audio plugin to download audio.

It only works with Rikaisama for Firefox, Rikaikun for Chrome doesn't support it.

http://rikaisama.sourceforge.net/
Read the "Setting up the Anki Real-Time Import Feature" section for instructions on how to set it up.

Okay so I need help with adding the audio using this Anki Add-on (https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/3918629684).
I know it does auto-populate the audio field when adding correctly a new note, but what about already generated decks? 
I have the WanikaniToAnki add-on as well, and I can generate my own personal decks with it. Any way of getting that juicy audio in there? 

As @Kwami hinted audio has been intentional left off of the API for a reason.

We won’t stop you from acquiring the audio on your own. However, we won’t help facilitate the process by providing the platform to discuss on methods on how to do so.

I’ll be locking this thread. Thank you for understanding.

Did this thread (and by extension I assume others) get unlocked in the process of porting from the old forums over to Discourse?

1 Like

5 Likes

Yeah doesn’t look like old closed threads carried status when we transferred. Feel free to @CyrusS for these.

1 Like